"WKRP in Cincinnati" episode music

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JonUrban, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

What about that classic scene with Johnny mouthing Van Morrison's Caravan...did it make the cut?

I love that part, I always think of it when I hear the song.

A classic sitcom that was way too short-lived, especially when one considers the longevity of other, less humourous comedys.

2. Pope V

Pope V Lurker

I remember a pretty decent scene where Andy is either quitting or getting fired, or having to fire someone, where he tears up his office to Supertramp's "Goodbye Stranger".

Seemed kinda powerful at the time.

3. pcain

pcain Forum Resident

WKRP, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, and The Dick Van Dyke show are my three favorite sitcoms. I do wish they'd pony up for the music and get this out on DVD. Wonder what the profit point would be on such a project?

4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

:unhunh: Ted Nugent "Queen of the Forest" from S/T

5. CaptainOzone

CaptainOzone On Air Cowbell

Unfortunately that's not the way the owners of the music view it.

-Bud

6. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

A great show. Don't want to stray off topic, but I always loved the theme song at the end. Anyone know the title/artist of that one?

7. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

It was just some studio singer hired by the producers.....and a bit of trivia....there are NO lyrics to that song. He is intentionally singing gibberish. Even so, it is STILL a great closing theme.

FYI, in case you didn;t know, the opening theme was sung by Steve Carlisle, and was even issued as a single (in long form with a second verse) on MCA Records.

8. CouchPotato67

CouchPotato67 New Member

you know there are other shows with great music especially on the ones in tv land. anybody catch any? Miami Vice, Brady Bunch... I don't know what else. by the way, i caught this show they got. they have all these old actors and stuff being silly. check this one out, http://www.tvland.com/originals/litvl/ its pretty funny.

9. DjBryan

DjBryan New Member

I love this show, I actually won a bid on ebay, the folder that was used to carry scripts for MTM Studio's. The source of my entire collection was a labor of love every episode as aired, for svhs to dvd. I use the folder as dvd carrier for show. I know WKRP got preachy, but it was one of the best written shows, with excellent cast.
    Rest in peace Big Guy. "I like these pants little tight in crotch"

a gift for those who really miss it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dez6W4ySt-E&search=wkrp

10. Dawson

Dawson New Member

Ain't it the truth son, ain't it the truth. I'd tell stories but the guilty for the most part are still in the business.

11. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Interesting, thanks.

I actually saw a brief attempt at a remake of the show that used it as the opening song. As with nearly all remakes, it bombed.

12. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

13. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

There are many examples of song snippets that stayed or not.
    In the drunk driving test on air, Johnny plays a snippet of the Doors 'Alabama Song' and then follows with Light My Fire (he says the title).
    In the traffic airplane episode, the plane takes off to 'Had Enough' by the Who.
    In the abandoned baby episode, the record sticks on Toto's hold the line and Smiling Face by James Taylor.
    In the remade pilot episode, Venus plays Boogie Oogie Oogie - by Taste Of Honey
    In the Dance Fever epsisode, they play 'Happy Radio' by Edwin Starr, 'Xanadu' by ONJ, 'De Do do do de da da da' by the Police and 'Ready Teddy' by Little Richard
    In the episode where Jennifer accompanies Les to a dinner, they play 'Hot Blooded' by Foreigner
    In the bomb scare episode, they play 'She's a Bad mama jama' by Carl Carlton, 'Slow Hand' by the Pointer Sisters

14. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

The scene where Les puts on his toupee right as "Hot Blooded" starts playing has to be one of the most perfect uses of a song in the entire series.

15. -=Rudy=-

:laugh: Is that the same episode where he gets the girl back to his apartment, and asks his date if he can play a record? "It's my favorite!" In the apartment was one of those old wire LP racks, with a single LP in it, no jacket or sleeve--Johnny Mathis "Greatest Hits". :D

16. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

No, that's the one where a groupie calls while Johnny's on the air, Johnny thinks she's calling for him, but she really wants Les. Oooooo.

She gradually kept trying to take over more of Les' life, but when she started tearing down Les' "walls" around his desk, it was the last straw. Once Les saw that, it was over!

17. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I also loved all the sly Grateful Dead references..some not so sly even, such as the episode where Johnny goes disco and his producer{?} says something like "Johnny, you can't dance to the Grateful Dead"...an obvious insider joke because most of the crowd danced at the GD concerts.

There was also a poster of the Terrapin Station release on the door in one episode IIRC, and Johnny had a "Steal Your Face" logo on his mike arm in another episode, possibly more.. right where the arm bends.

There's more, but that's off the top of my head.

In the episode with "Scum of the Earth", the lead singer was played by Michael Des Barres, the singer who subbed in for Robert Palmer when POWER STATION toured. Des Barres was, or is...I'm not sure of the tense...the husband of Pamela Des Barres, famous as a groupie known as Miss Pamela. Recently the author of a few tawdry books about her life..one entitled "I'm With The Band" if I again recall correctly.

18. -=Rudy=-

I caught the end credits and caught another connection: the music for the Scum concert was performed by Detective, in which Michael Des Barres was the lead singer. Signed to Swan Song in the mid 70s--Wounded Bird reissued their first two albums on CD in 2003.

19. quentincollins

quentincollins Forum Word Nerd

Regarding the publishing, I'd bet my bottom dollar this is the same reason why The Wonder Years hasn't been released on DVD yet. I'd buy that show in an instant were it out.

I've only seen excerpts of WKRP so I can't really comment. But I kinda wish now that I'd watched it when Nick at Nite briefly aired it a while back.

20. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I see an 18 DVD set on eBay all the time. i can't belive epoeple pay $150+ for bootleg TV shows.

The posters are great! And Travis is a great character.

21. DjBryan

DjBryan New Member

They mainly go for around 60 bucks or so

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.