Wonder Woman (2017)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Jul 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

I didn't see any of it like that. It looked to me like she was "discovering herself" throughout the movie, and growing in power/abilities. This was setup with that sparing match with her trainer, and seemed to come full circle at the end.

sunspot42 and Higlander like this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yep. I recently had the misfortune to watch the latest Spiderman flick. Apart from being completely annoying from the get-go, the character suffered from the same invincibility schtick, being repeatedly pounded, dropped, dragged, etc and just shrugging it off as if he were Superman. The whole movie was just silly.

All the big fight scenes concluding these types of movies are always ridiculous and literally boring. The setups are always more interesting (though not in Spiderman's case).

sunspot42 likes this.
  3. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

I guess that is quite possible and makes a lot more sense, but maybe in the end, these types of movies are just not for me.:hide:
    The whole invincible, (or nearly invincible) thing makes for a lot of great CGI fighting, but I feel no emotion or sense of fear from any of it.

It's not that I do not like Superhero movies, but if most or all of the elements or Reality, and Real fear or suspense are mostly gone, it just looks like a lot of cartoon CGI fighting that goes on far too long to me. ( 45 year old man rant over....:laugh:

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Andy Smith, scobb, Malina and 3 others like this.
  6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Privately, I bet the studio is grateful for her taking this stand, so they don't have to.

"See, Brett, we'd love to keep you on, but Gal just will not budge from her position. Here's some cash. Go away."

bluesbro, BeatleJWOL, Vidiot and 2 others like this.
  7. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I was extremely disappointed in Wonder Woman. The acting was done well and Wonder Woman is definitely well cast, but the story was bland. I will give The Justice League a chance I suppose but if it fails to step it up then I’m done with all of them.

8. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I thought Wonder Woman was alright. One issue I had with it though is the movie has a dark blue look throughout (other than the Paradise Island scenes). I dislike that. Man of Steel and Batman V Superman looked too dark as well.

9. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

While the themes of the movie were in keeping with traditional Wonder Woman from the comics, I felt the same material was handled better by Xena 20 years ago. No new ground was broken here. It's also sad that every decade or so when a female action hero captures the fancy of the public, it's considered a rare occurrence. The exception rather than the norm. No lessons apparently learned in the appeal of strong female characters and role models.

R. Totale and sunspot42 like this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The highest paid colorist in the world, Stefan Sonnenfeld of CO3 in Santa Monica, color-corrected all three movies. I believe he gave the filmmakers what they asked for. I thought parts of Wonder Woman looked really beautiful and were a lot better than either Man of Steel or Batman vs. Superman.

Well, I'd make two observations: 1) nobody has made a movie like this in a long, long time (and we're talking movie vs. TV show); 2) the feature version of Wonder Woman made $821 million, so from WB's point of view, it was extremely profitable, got great reviews, and represents the direction they want to go in for the other DC Comics movies from now on. The audience is always free to not watch the movie if they don't want to.

Simon A, Malina and sunspot42 like this.
  11. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

What hasn't been made for a long, long time? Superhero movies? Or action films with female leads? The last decade is filled with both.

12. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

The highest paid yet he ruins movies if that's what they're asking for. There's been complaints about the dismal tones / colours of these movies from the start.

It looked much the same as the other films to me; unnatural miserable tones all the way through.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  13. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Superman '78. Natural tones look much better.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    Blimpboy likes this.
  14. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Man of Steel - unnatural dismal tones also.

15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That would be my preference as well. But sometimes there are outside forces that cause filmmakers to make other creative decisions, and it's the colorist's job to give them what they want.

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I don't even think Ratner himself was directly involved with "Wonder Woman", but his production company "Ratpac" was...

18. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I finally watched Wonder Woman today. I loved it. Right off the bat it reminded me of a cross between Xena and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

19. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I'm with you, and in fact by the end it was like an overlong and not particularly inspired Xena episode. Without songs.

Blimpboy likes this.
  20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Surprised they haven't brought XENA to the big screen yet.

sunspot42 likes this.
  21. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

If you really want to 'see' Xena, she's in one of the most barbaric TV series of all time; Spartacus (Netflix)!

alexpop likes this.
  22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Meant to check that series out.
    Thx for the reminder.

23. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

And of course Lucy Lawless is in the great "Ash vs Evil Dead" series, which is also extremely
    graphic and violent, but also one of the best shows on cable (starting their third season early
    next year.....).
    [​IMG]

alexpop likes this.
  24. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

It was a good film,my gripe is that Linda Carter had no cameo.

jpelg and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Just got in from a second viewing this week of Justice League. She really is the star of the flick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.