Wonder Woman (2017)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Jul 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm sick of super hero movies and haven't watched one in ages but I might check this out on Blu-ray.

2. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

The casting is off.. Bridget or somebody built with looks of Lucy Lawless
    would be perfect.. But, sometimes casting directors are very dumb..
    so.. let chips fall as they may..

3. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I feel Gal looks a bit slim for the part, but one can imagine her as a princess easily. I suppose Rhonda Rousey was too tough to be considered, but I bet she would've been somewhat believable in the fight scenes after some sword practice!

4. I wasn't even born in the '70s, but the Justice League envisioned by Zack Snyder betrays many of these characters in their classic guises. Batman has no problem using guns and taking lives, Wonder Woman's Lasso of Truth comes second to a sword, while Superman... Well, he now fails as someone who is either meant to be super or even a man (which Batman actually says at one point in Dawn of Justice)! The only way Aquaman can supposedly exist in Snyder's universe is if everything about him is completely reinvented, and I'm eternally grateful that wasn't Supergirl's existence being teased in that empty pod from Man of Steel - something wholesome from the familiar DC canon deserves to remain untainted by a director with little respect for the source material. Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if he only took the job as an opportunity to indulge certain personal fantasies that he feels the need to project onto every film. The direct quite from 300 that appears early in Man of Steel was clearly his suggestion, plus there's another similar nod during Dawn of Justice. Perhaps my biggest issue is that Zack Snyder appears to be intoxicated on testosterone, resulting in a cinematic franchise that doesn't cater to my own tastes? These clearly aren't the Batman or Superman previous generations were raised with as inspirational heroes for their own very different reasons. Saying that, does the attention-deprived youth of today care enough to defend these latest incarnations, either? On the other hand, maybe the generally negative reception of every new WB superhero project is simply due to Christopher Nolan setting the bar so high with his three efforts and Marvel rarely putting a foot wrong? From what I've seen of the previews, Suicide Squad genuinely has the best chance of breaking this cycle by offering something that ironically seems to come very close to what had been achieved with the unexpected smash that was Guardians of the Galaxy.

jpelg likes this.
  5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

This.

My goodness! "Disrepectful to the source material" is becoming a very tired mantra in these threads. Is remastering a classic record "disrespectful to the source material" because it uses modern platforms and new technology? Does everything have to stay exactly the same for something to be worthwhile?

Frankly, the lasso of truth and the invisible airplane were pretty lame ideas and reek of an older, more naive mindset. I honestly don't think those items would translate well with today's audiences. It's a sign of the times. You have to deal with the fact that things do not exist in a vacuum.

Deesky and Stormrider77 like this.
  6. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

Your problem is right from the start saying it doesn't represent the "classic" guise of the characters. Who ever stated the movies were based off the classic version of the characters? Why should they be? Wonder Woman fits exactly in with how her character has been portrayed for YEARS in the comics so why would young folk complain? Her being in a cheeseball invisible plane, when she can FLY on her own in the comics, makes no sense! As you may or may not know, the classic version of Batman had no problems using guns or killing criminals. As Godshifter said, the characters change and evolve over the years, your idea of the " classic" hero doesn't jive with how they've been shown to be in the source material for many years. Taking issue with Bats killing? Ok, I can get behind that but since it's how it's ALWAYS been in the movies, it doesn't bother me that much but I don't get your Wonder Woman complaints at all. You sound out of touch with her present day character in the books.

GodShifter and Encuentro like this.
  7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I wish Gal had more meat on her bones.

She is very pretty but just a little skinny for my liking to be a super hero. Margot Robbie seems to have lot more weight to her as Harley Quinn.

vinyl_puppy likes this.
  8. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I saw her perform at Lincoln Center and she was really good. She also looks great for her age.

9. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

Actually Kara Zor-El appears in an official prequel comic to MoS which shows her as being on board the ship that crashed on Earth.

The 'Man of Steel' Prequel You Need to See Before Watching the Film This Summer »

10. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The creator of Wonder Woman was a proto feminist, a bondage enthusiast, and the inventor of the polygraph. Ergo, the Lasso of Truth is pretty important. The invisible plane, however, was silly as all get out, and had been abandoned for years. I haven't read in years, but when I stopped she could fly because she'd been given Hermes' winged boots. which at least ties into the Greek mythology.

kouzie, BeatleJWOL and GodShifter like this.
  11. I remember the prequel comic, but I'm surprised we've not had any further references to Kara being the survivor from that ship by now... At least they didn't try explaining the mystery person as being Diana Prince, which is one rumour I'd read about quite a lot ahead of the release of BVS!

12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Very interesting. I don't know much about Wonder Woman other than the Lynda Carter tv series from the 70's.

William Marston sounds like an interesting individual with some rather bold ideas for his time.

13. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Beautiful woman.
    Pretty poor actress. Or at least she couldn't do much with the lousy scripts and silly situations the show put her in.
    Every show ended with that stupid grin on her face as Diana Prince, and the equally stupid grin on Steve Trevor's face.
    But to be fair, Lyle Waggoner was an even worse actor in this series than Lynda Carter was.

GodShifter likes this.
  14. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

2 words - HOT!

15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Wow that trailer felt two hours long. Can't imagine sitting through the whole film.

16. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Actually....

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Love Actually? :)

18. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

I hear you loud & clear....here's Jae Lee's Sub-Mariner...He made him a real bad-ass

[​IMG]

rob macd likes this.
  19. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

...and Gal Gadot is no Lynda Carter!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Must admit the recent trailer does look good.

21. alexpop

Too much Tarzan /Conan, not enough mariner.

22. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

Any movie with Blackhawk would be a welcome project to me!

23. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

24. alexpop

Did she die in F&F6 ?
    You never seen the body.

25. alexpop

Yeah, really looking forward to this.
    Think this will be D.C.s First Avenger.

cwd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.