“Won’t You Be My Neighbor?” (Fred Rogers documentary) in theaters June 8th

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Mar 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

2. Zeroninety

Zeroninety Forum Resident

After finding a few interviews and message board posts from over the years, Betty Aberlin does seem to be one of the only persons who actually knew Rogers who has been somewhat critical of him. Nothing earth shattering, but she seemed to feel he could be too controlling when it came to the show, and resistant to suggestions from others. She believed that his wealthy upbringing sometimes insulated him from what "real life" was like for his audience, and the people who worked on the show.

3. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

That is interesting about Betty Aberlin. It is not explicit in the film. But, somewhat there, i think. Definitely part of his character when pointed out. They made his upbringing and very strong point of view especially central to his character. I bet there were conflicts through the years because of this. Had to be.

4. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

He had a very strong vision and single-minded sense of purpose. It is almost inevitable that a person like that can sometimes seem to be "controlling." Time after time, similar things are said about successful or iconic artists. I'm pretty sure he wasn't unkind to those who worked with him.

5. Zeroninety

Zeroninety Forum Resident

I don't have any doubt of that, and I didn't get the sense Aberlin believed there was any malice on his part, either. I got the sense, more than anything, that she sometimes felt resistant towards the canonization of someone she knew and worked with as a flesh and blood person for most of her adult life. She does come across as a bit...eccentric. (There's a segment in this interview where she suddenly expresses black supremacist views: Billevesées: Interview: Betty Aberlin ).

Shawn, Dan C, soundQman and 1 other person like this.
  6. Greenalishi

What a great interview. She is so interesting. Very New York. Informed. I'd love to converse with her over coffee. She kind of fleshes out more of Mr. Rodgers personality. Not damning just more. The music part of the original show is what i always found so cool. He had on lots of great jazz. And the operettas they did. Just so cool. Her personality is so lively. I find her attractive and intriguing. More of this interesting story of a supposedly simplistic kids show with the people who made it not at all being simplistic. Thanks for that interview link.

Dan C and longdist01 like this.
  7. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

My wife and I watched it last night and I’m happy to say I only collapsed into a pathetic heap during the final several minutes. But it was tough keeping my emotions in check for sure!

What a beautiful and sincere human. I love this movie.

dan c

8. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Mr. Rogers seemed uncool when I was 12 in his first year on tv, but I'm glad he's getting the kudos he deserves as he really cared about kids.

longdist01 and Greenalishi like this.
  9. Greenalishi

It really is interesting the timing of this doc. Mr. Rodgers is the complete opposite of our times in many ways. The marketing commercial aspect is so fine tuned today. The kindness. The honesty with caring. So many things now are the opposite of his philosophy. Also his being a pastor. The religious right now is so compromised it's so weird. The symbol of being religious may have in reality been a contridiction but now it seems so opposite of the good part of religion standing for. Just so many things now he seems an antidote for. Perfect timing. Wish this doc would get some views in schools.

10. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

That part of the doc was so interesting. I was watching with my wife, and she laughed hard at the SCTV clips (she loves Martin Short in particular). I also chuckled at the Eddie Murphy clips. I absolutely loved his Mr. Robinson bits when I was growing up.

However, we both groaned at the Carson bit with the "hooker" line. Ouch.

The doc didn't pass judgement on which spoofs were mean spirited or which ones Mr Rogers seemed to enjoy, but it's been known for a while he found Eddie Murphy's take genuinely funny.

In fact, I recall an appearance by Murphy on Letterman's show way back in the day where he recalled meeting Mr. Rogers. He joked about expecting him to be all "Hey man! How ya doing!" but was actually exactly like he is on TV. I think Murphy even said he's a sweet man, and this was prime young, brash and unsentimental Murphy! The clip's on YouTube Im' sure.

dan c

MMM likes this.
  11. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

12. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Just watched the doc tonight. Out of everything included in the film, relieving what it was like to be a kid during the challenger disaster hit me hardest.

13. Greenalishi

I remember that disaster strongly. We watched it in high school in the library. Just a real disbelife to it all. Similar to 911.

14. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

As Greenalishi noted a few posts above, it may well be that, in our present time, what Mr. Rogers stood for no longer seems corny or square, but rather desperately needed.

Dan C, 905, Comet01 and 3 others like this.
  15. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

This Saturday night @ 8 pm PBS & HBO will be airing this documentary. A "freebie" from the folks at HBO. Isn't that nice of them?

16. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks for sharing the reminder, saw it last Fall. An excellent documentary.

Greenalishi likes this.
  17. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Sew this last week on HBO....
    and, yes.....tears.....
    "Sometimes I feel, like I'm a mistake."
    whoa....

JediJoker and longdist01 like this.
  18. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Someone reaching that particular conclusion might not have completely understood what she was talking about.

JediJoker likes this.
  19. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I just watched it this weekend and it was great - and yes I had the very same reaction. I wasn't expecting the Challenger video and as soon as they cut to the kids in the school, I had this pause... you knew what was next and I immediately was transported back to grade school.

JediJoker likes this.
  20. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

21. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Absolutely brutal. You hate to see something like that... :cry:

22. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.