Wood color of my Audio Note UK AN-E/SPx HE Alnico hemp speakers, had a request for a pic..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

This is the only pic I have right now that shows my AN Alnico speakers.. It's a terrible pic but the best I can do right now, actually the color and wood grain is a bit darker and more intense in real life. Pretty finish, hope this will help in your decision, thought I doubt it... IMG_0181.jpg

2. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident

I would imagine the fidelity of that setup is among one of the best in the world.

toddrhodes likes this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

It sounds wonderful in the room, wish it was mine!

4. Soundman

Soundman Senior Member

If it's British, then it would be considered "colour". ;)

5. Steve Hoffman

Correct! Used to bug me on British movies: Colour By Technicolor." Can't they spell?

6. mds

mds Forum Resident

Where do you keep your spare tyre in the boot, won't you need a tourch to locate it at night?

smctigue likes this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

Tyre. Always liked that spelling.

Aftermath likes this.
  8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Is that an AR table on the top left?

9. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

It's lovely, but if I bought all of that my wife would have a haemorrhage :shh:

10. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

not ime

11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That is a vpi classic

12. Steve Hoffman

Close, AN not AR.

13. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

Steve;

If I am remembering correctly, you have heard the AN E/Lx and the SPE HE extensively. How do you feel the Alnico version compares to the SPE HE? I was recently talking to someone that I know in England and he and his friend, who both have Audio Note gear in their system, felt that the SPE HE was better suited to Blues, Jazz and Rock, whereas the Alnico version was better suited to someone who listens entirely to Classical music. They had each owned the Alnico and had sold them to go back to the SPE HE Signature (external crossover) version.

14. Steve Hoffman

Well, Warren Jarrett's pair of Hemp speakers were here for a while and were perfect for me, but they were his and I needed my own pair. His were extensively broken in (probably the most broken in pair in the USA).

First, Audio Note kindly sent me a new pair of 94db AN-E/SPe speakers. I didn't think there was enough dynamic drive with the Jinro and happened to mention that to Peter who then also (generously) sent me a new pair of AN-E/SPx HE Alnico hemps (pictured above).

Since neither pair was broken in at all, stone new out of the box, I feel I can only compare these two since I've had them here, back and forth between my (incorrect position) listening room and my small (correct speaker positioning, in corners against back wall, etc.) room many times with all different AN amplifiers and Integrateds.

The 94db AN-E/SPe has the house sound, nice, with no surprises, smooth and a tad recessed in the mids, fixable with different tube rolling. Works best with the OTO Sig (IMO).

The 98db AN-E/SPx HE Alnicos are totally different sounding (and probably four times as much money). Since I don't even see this exact make in the catalog at all, it's possible this is a unique speaker, unless you have seen it listed in some UK or European stereo shop website or something. Can't find it at all on the AN site (naturally). This speaker works best with the Jinro even though I am currently using the 45 a side Ginrei monoblicks with them (overkill but wonderful sounding). These speakers are more detailed with less bass boom, slightly more analytical sounding with a wonderful extended top end. But they are very receptive to different amp/pre/DAC combos and the sound changes accordingly.

If I had to choose, I'd pick the Alnicos but I've only heard these two pair and Warren's pair. I've not heard the rest of the line.

Does this help?

A speaker that is only good for one kind of music is a speaker that is no good at all, if you ask me. Happily, all of the AN's I've heard can do anything.

Ozoid and raferx like this.
  15. Don Parkhurst

That helps a lot. I truly respect the opinion of the two fellows in England, especially when they shared the how's and whys of their various decisions. My absolute favourite music in the world is electric blues based rock n roll. It sounds like the speakers that I have are the best match according to them. But...I appreciate your input as well, as you 'don't have a dog in this fight' as some say.

As you probably know, it is quite a huge step up financially to the pair of Alnicos that you are now using. I might just upgrade mine and leave it there. After all, those amps that you are using are some of the worlds best. The Genreis are really, really, expensive! 45 watts of single ended power? Wow.

My friends in England share their Hifi adventures together and the one fellow who had (I think) Ankoru IIs, sold them and an M8 preamp to buy a Genrei integrated. It did everything that he wanted. Tough for me to comment as my whole system barely costs as much : ) The M8 is crazy expensive and even though he was selling it at a very nice price, it was WAY above my price range. I mean way, way, way above my budget!

Do you have to give the speakers back like some other components?

16. Steve Hoffman

Don, thanks for your thoughts. Before Warren came into my life, the only time I heard the AN UK stuff was at a show or two and then only in passing. When Warren brought everything over to the house and I got a good listen, I realized that the fatigue free playback of the AN stuff was what I had been searching for. After meeting Peter Q., I feel he is a passionate guy who really loves music and we both share the same opinions about what natural sound is and how it should be reproduced, electronically.

Everything from AN is on a long-term loan basis. The Genrei monoblocks, the Alnicos and now the M9 were surprises and are truly state of the tube art, fun to listen to and very musical. I realize that these pieces are very expensive and can be considered "exotic" gear but trust me on this, I have heard more expensive stuff with much less soul...

I'm grateful to them for letting me use the gear in my work and my playtime and the longer I can keep it all, the happier I will be..

SKean, martinb4, raferx and 2 others like this.
  17. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

I can second that description word for word, comparing the E/SPe HE with Alnicos. I recently had a chance to compare a fairly well broken-in E/SPe HE with a brand new pair of Alnicos, and although they were with Sogon cabling, I think it's safe to conclude like you do, Steve. The Alnicos were literally straight out of the box (I had driven them from the shop to my friend's house and I helped unpack them). It was clear that they were a lot more refined and airy than the Spe HE, throwing a bigger soundstage and the bass was a lot tighter. Now, according the Copenhagen dealer, they do break in differently--the E/Spe HE becomes less boomy, and the Alnicos become richer in the bass, so that may level things somewhat after a while. However, I had also previously heard a different set of broken-in Alnicos at my friend's house, and also here the bass was a lot tighter than the broken-in E/SPe HE's, and they were a lot more engaging.

Now, that said, the E/Spe HE is also a great speaker, especially for the money. I had a pair in my room for a couple of weeks, and it does the same thing that its more expensive sibling, letting you enjoy the music. Just don't put them side to side with a pair of Alnicos unless you have the money for the Alnicos :)

18. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Steve, why no use of cable risers to avoid static electricity from the carpet?

19. Steve Hoffman

I'm glad you're hearing what I'm hearing. You describe it better. I have to say that neither of my AN speaker pairs are broken in enough yet but even "out of the box" they are both quite musical and involving. The Alnico pair being a tad leaner than the standard issue.

20. Steve Hoffman

With Audio Note gear? Peter Q. would kill me.

Encore, bhazen, Shiver and 2 others like this.
  21. moops

moops Senior Member

Steve, do you ever foresee a time when you will want/need to purchase some of this gear ?
    No doubt the long term loan arrangement with AN is great, but does it have a weird feel about it ?
    I imagine it as kind of like borrowing a friends car ?

22. Steve Hoffman

It's always like borrowing a friend's car, yes. Weird but I've been reviewing and using loaner gear since 1996 and am used to it. However the AN Jinro 211 integrated amplifier is a work of art and will be buried with me, no matter what it takes.. ElrogH211amp.jpg

russk, cmndrums, Raylinds and 4 others like this.
  23. Don Parkhurst

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steve;

I have been thinking about what you said. I wanted to share another opinion that hopefully isn't too cynical when it comes to loaned gear.

My experience has been that the Audio Note dealers that I have spent time with have been exemplary when it comes to lending out gear (many other brands too, but you do have to be serious about your interest).

My local dealer left me gob smacked when I first enquired about hearing about certain gear. I wanted to hear that gear in his store but unfortunately it wasn't available to audition...He listed 5-10 different amps and preamps and then told me about each customer (in vague terms, so as to not give their name and address away) with a long term loan, while they decided whether they should buy that piece or not. This is a small dealer in a city of at very most - half a million people. They had A LOT OF MONEY tied up in this gear. And yet, they let each customer take their time deciding on whether that piece of gear was right for them.

This is what pisses me off when some internet expert shoots his/her mouth off, by saying that no dealer can be trusted because they might make money from selling something. The dealer has tens or hundreds of thousands tied up in what they sell and if they don't give good and effective advice, some guy with an opinion will slag them immediately without knowing anything about the situation. After all, they counted the parts and they could build it for much less....

Sorry, got off on a tangent there. I would count myself very lucky to have such a good friend and business colleague, such as Warren. That gear is absolutely amazing.

In my case, I upgraded my 300B tubes today, according to what my friends in England recommended. I had tried everything except El Rog/Takatsuki/Western Electric 300Bs and even after only two hours, these Shuguang WE300B replicas are amazing! After two sets of Sophia Royal Princess 300Bs blowing up on me, I am hoping that these are far more reliable.

So, despite all of my rambling....I was so impressed with the sound improvement that I got with my AN Io Gold cartridge and AN-S8 SUT that I wanted to try out what would be an improvement over my Meishu Silver Phono. It really is amazing for the money. But....is there something even better in my pre retirement budget? I would love to step p to a Jimro, but you are forced to buy an outboard phono stage. And...should I consider upgrading my speakers to Alnico versions : ). I have almost a decade to decide (before I retire), but that is one of the reasons that I asked.

So, I hope that this long winded explaination wasn't too tiring to read, but I wanted to ask one of the few people out there who shares their opinion on Audio Note gear. I was trying to assess how I felt that the new tubes sounded to it and I kept getting lost in the performance and this was on an old CD 3.1/X. In about a week, my new TT-2 Deluxe will be here. Can't wait! I have quite a few new records to play. Most of them are ones that my wife doesn't know about yet ; o). Bad audiophile!

So, in the end...thanks for sharing. Oh and if you come up to Vancouver to visit, bring your Jinro : )

klonk likes this.
  24. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

In this thread, we've discussed the various versions of AN/E speakers, to figure out which model everyone (who has compared) considers the "sweet spot". For me, the HE option (higher efficiency, using silver voice coils and AN's hemp woofer) is a gigantic and dramatic upgrade in the line compared to non-HE. I am definitely being cost-conscience here, so I am focusing on performance increase without spending gobs of money. The HE option allows a buyer to choose among AN's lower power (and lower price) SET amplifiers, for one thing. But, even more important, the HE's increase in dynamics, liveliness, and vividness of subtle detail is extremely satisfying.

I am completely mezmorized by the AN/E-Lexus-HE with any of a great number of low power SET amplifiers. They even sounded fantastic with Roger Modjeski's little push-pull EL-84 amp, the RM-10. So this is the speaker I choose for audio shows.

Of course, upgrading to silver internal wire, AlNiCo driver magnets, and/or external crossovers provide their own specific benefits. But, for me, the liveliness and subtle detail resolution that comes with HE is a gigantic plus.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    suntzu, beowulf and james like this.
  25. FJC1966

FJC1966 The Prestonian

You say Potato...we say Banana - Lol

Steve Hoffman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.