Wood color of my Audio Note UK AN-E/SPx HE Alnico hemp speakers, had a request for a pic..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

Vernon;

Are you using Audio Note cables in your setup? I have had very nice improvements with their AN-SPx speaker cables and AN-Vx interconnects. I have AN Pallas cables from my AN-S8 SUT to my Meishu Silver integrated.

I think your P3 Silver Signatures will benefit from at least this level of cable.

Don

raferx likes this.
  2. sailfish

sailfish Forum Resident

Don......this particular system includes AN Lexus speakers. I just inseted some Lexus speaker cables. I was previously using MIT speaker cables. The Lexus are much smoother and more cohesive in this system. I'm using Lexus interconnects for the pre to power amps. I have some silver interconnects I trying from the SUT to the pre. I also have a set of Acrolinks that sound very good. I also have a set of AN SPE HE speakers that I'm setting up in another system. My dealer suggests the SPE speaker cables. I'm going to be shuffling my Amps back and forth between the two until I decide what I want to do. I plan on trying the silver cables with the SPE HE system. Thanks for the advice. Did you try any other SUT? I'm using an AN S2 right now and wonder how it compares to the S8. Thanks......Vernon

3. Bandoro

Bandoro Well-Known Member

Hello Steve,

I am very interested in this statement. I have been demoing and considering AN gear for a long time now and I'm finally in the position to place an order. I have settled on the OTO Phono SE Signature and a pair of AN-J SPe but I have not been able to hear them with the hemp. If I understand you correctly it is your feeling the the 'classic' cone will suit the OTO better than the hemp will.

Oh, and I'm certain that down the road I'll be tube rolling galore!

4. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Vernon,

I have both an Aldo linestage and his "rebuild" of a WE 133a amp (utilizes four 348 and four 349 tubes). The linestage has a transformer output and the power amp has transformer inputs and they are made to work together. Both components can be used with other gear, but, not all gear will sound right when coupled with either. In particular, the linestage can sound dead when used with some amps. Aldo makes linestages with capacitor coupling that is more universal in compatibility. I know someone whose Aldo linestage has both capacitor and transformer outputs (a switch allows for a choice).
    Generally speaking, those who choose transformer coupled outputs plan to use the Aldo linestage with an amp that has a compatible input transformer.

My local Audio Note dealer said that Audio Note gear IS compatible with linestages with transformer outputs which is why the Kageki I own works well with this linestage.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

No, that is not correct, I like the hemp best, what I was trying to say was that the non-Alnico vs. Alnico comparison was interesting. Make sense?

The OTO Phono SE Sig is a wonderful unit. You won't be disappointed.

Bandoro likes this.
  6. Bandoro

Thanks for the clarification Steve. I cant wait to have the OTO Phono SE Sig in my setup. It was a case of 'love at first [sound]' when I first heard it. It just seemed like the sound I have always been looking for, the elusive perfect amp. I'm sure I'll be happy for a long while... just need to settle on the speakers now... AN-Js or -Es... -Js or -Es?....

7. Steve Hoffman

E. Get an E. Forget the J. As to which E, the best you can afford right now but don't spend your entire savings. All E's are good.

Don Parkhurst likes this.
  8. Bandoro

I thought you may say that! Do you have a pair you'd like to sell?!

...So no problem for the little OTO to drive the E? I haven't heard that combo.

9. Steve Hoffman

Well, I have the pretty much unused pair of AN-E/SPe and their stands. Warren Jarrett, the AN guy here actually would be the one to talk with about this. I'm sure he would make you a great deal on them... PM me and I'll get you in touch with him.

Wait, you're in the UK? That's home base for AN! Pointless to buy something from Southern California and then ship all the way back home again. Buy locally...

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  10. Don Parkhurst

No problem at all. Great combo : )

11. Don Parkhurst

I would like to second the recommendation of Warren, for those that are interested.

12. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

There is no problem driving any E or J with an Oto or Oto Signature. But the component upgrades in an Oto Signature are very clearly audible, amazingly so. And, the upgrade to HE (hemp woofers and silver voice coils) is also very clearly audible... amazingly so.

So I highly recommend the Signature and HE upgrades. The choice of J vs E is not so easy for me to firmly declare. They are both equally wonderful, but personal taste is the major factor in your decision. You'll have to hear both to decide. And the E's really need at least a wall behind or next to each, preferably a corner. Placement for the J's is not so critical.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    raferx likes this.
  13. Don Parkhurst

QUOTE="Warren Jarrett, post: 13768789, member: 47011"]There is no problem driving any E or J with an Oto or Oto Signature. But the component upgrades in an Oto Signature are very clearly audible, amazingly so. And, the upgrade to HE (hemp woofers and silver voice coils) is also very clearly audible... amazingly so.

So I highly recommend the Signature and HE upgrades. The choice of J vs E is not so easy for me to firmly declare. They are both equally wonderful, but personal taste is the major factor in your decision. You'll have to hear both to decide. And the E's really need at least a wall behind or next to each, preferably a corner. Placement for the J's is not so critical.[/QUOTE]

Warren

As always, good advice. It strikes me that starting with an OTO and AN-E or J is a great start, I am thinking about upgrading my younger daughters system to set her up for the long term.

She has worked so hard through high school and university that she has earned it. She makes me proud and only plays vinyl : o )

Sigh. It's always Rafe or my mom that limit sets me!!!

klonk, raferx and toddrhodes like this.
  14. Don Parkhurst

I highly recommend the hemp version. I love my AN E SPE HEs. The most musically satisfying speakers I have ever owned.

Warren Jarrett and raferx like this.
  15. Don Parkhurst

Vernon

It sounds like you have a lot of good gear to work with. I can promise you though...should you decide on an all Audio Note system, the AN cables work the best. By a pretty large margin in my experience.

raferx likes this.
  16. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

An Oto SE Line driving my AN-E/SPe HE speakers is a match made in heaven, and will have the police at my door in minutes if turned past 12 o'clock on the volume dial.

Bandoro likes this.
  17. sailfish

sailfish Forum Resident

Larry.....thanks for the clarification. I'm not very technical but upon inspection I believe my preamp to be capacitor coupled. Vernon

18. Bandoro

Ha, thanks for the tip but you're right, not sensible to look at what's available that side of the pond! I'll make a few calls here and see if I can find anyone looking to upgrade and who has a pair of AN-Es that need a good home!

19. Bandoro

Thanks for the info Warren. I do need to try them side-by-side. Is there a J with the HE or only Hemp?

I have one 'proper' corner (two concrete walls) and one 'semi' corner where the side of a cupboard meets the same concrete wall. Unfortunately, due to my location, I doubt I'll be able to arrange a demo at home but I'll try.

20. Bandoro

So you don't want to sell them I take it!

Definitely, if I do go all Audio Note, and that's my current direction at the moment, I'd use their cables too.

raferx likes this.
  21. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Those speakers are beautiful. At first I was not crazy about having blue cones in my living room, but after hearing the hemp drivers, I changed my mind.

Don Parkhurst likes this.
  22. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

The trouble with "experts" is that very, very few have ever been in the business of either manufacturing or retailing. Sure, you can go to Parts Express and add up a few numbers and deduce that you're getting "ripped off" for that speaker. Never mind the hundreds of hours spent in R&D, labor, insurance, what it costs to heat the factory, etc. Then there's legal costs, the parts you need to stock for warranty claims, advertising, marketing, and so on. It's easy to build a good speaker. It's damn hard to build a good speaker COMPANY.

23. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

There is no J with the HE designation in my standard model list. I would suggest to your dealer, that they ask AN if the J can be made with hemp woofers AND silver voice coils, but with Lexus copper internal wire. I only say Lexus because I am perfectly happy with the copper wire. There is no question that SPe or SPx adds more clarity of subtle details, at another increase in cost. But (for the E anyway), having hemp woofers, silver voice coils and Lexus wire provides plenty of detail and a plenty lively presentation to satisfy me immensely.

Don Parkhurst and Bandoro like this.
  24. Does AN make any speakers with 16ohm impedance and paper surrounds? Can't really find the relevant specs on the web...

25. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

AN speakers are 6 ohms. All the woofers use foam surrounds. The woofers are made by SEAS.

mr. scratchy esq likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.