Woodstock: 3 Days Of Peace And Music (40th Anniversary Limited Edition Revisited) (Blu-ray) ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

can't wait till next release ,with new bonus footage maybe we will get the Band

2. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

I say in a few years, make a 50th Anniversary that will please everyone, include the original theatrical cut, the 1994 director's cut, and a new super duper long 50th anniversary cut, also include the Woodstock Diaries and some new documentaries and featurettes.
    But make one edition, not a bunch exclusive different store exclusive editions like they did with the 2009 set.
    The 2014 revisited fixed that and included all the different exclusive material on a 3rd Blu-ray disc, that is the one that Walmart was selling for $5 by the way.

driverdrummer likes this.
  3. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

A sixty hour long DVD set?

CirculationUnderflow likes this.
  4. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

LMAO!

JamieC likes this.
  5. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I bought a Blu Ray set a few years ago with a fringe jacket package which had many bonus performances. Is this one different?

6. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Yes, they are different. The fringe-suede version you have is the "40th Anniversary" deluxe edition. The "40th Anniversary Revisited" release came out five years later and it has the same great transfer of the director's cut of the movie, but it also has a lot more bonus footage of complete songs. It also has an iron-on Woodstock badge, reproductions of news articles from the era and a nice booklet, but your version still has more (and better) swag.

They should have called the "Revisited" release the "45th Anniversary Edition" to avoid confusion...

chacha likes this.
  7. chacha

Thanks for this.Is there a list somewhere of the different performances between the two?

8. Clark V Kauffman

I'm not sure what bonus performances are included in all the various versions of the 2009 "40th Anniversary" editions (it gets confusing because there are multiple versions, and some have tracks exclusive to the one sold only at Target stores, while another has Amazon-exclusive tracks, etc.) but here's what you get in the way of full-length bonus musical performances on the "Revisited" BluRay:

DISC 2 BONUS PERFORMANCES:

Joan Baez - One Day At A Time
    Country Joe McDonald - Flying High
    Santana - Evil Ways
    Canned Heat - I'm Her Man and On The Road Again
    Mountain - Beside The Sea
    Mountain - Southbound Train
    Grateful Dead - Turn On Your Love Light
    Creedence Clearwater Revival - Born On The Bayou and I Put A Spell On You and Keep On Chooglin'
    The Who - We're Not Gonna Take It and My Generation
    Jefferson Airplane - 3/5 Of A Mile In 10 Seconds
    Joe Cocker - Something's Coming On
    Johnny Winter - Mean Town Blues
    The Paul Butterfield Blues Band - Morning Sunrise
    Sha Na Na - Teen Angel
    (2 hours, 22 minutes)

DISC 3 BONUS PERFORMANCES:

Melanie - Mr. Tambourine Man and Tuning My Guitar
    Joan Baez - Oh Happy Day and I Shall Be Released
    Santana – Persuasion
    Canned Heat - Woodstock Boogie
    Grateful Dead - Mama Tried
    The Who – Sparks and Pinball Wizard
    Jefferson Airplane – Volunteers and Come Back Baby
    Country Joe and the Fish - Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine
    Crosby, Stills & Nash - Helplessly Hoping and Marrakesh Express
    The Paul Butterfield Blues Band - Everything's Gonna Be Alright
    Sha Na Na - Book of Love
    Jimi Hendrix - Spanish Castle Magic
    (1 hour, 13 minutes)

chacha likes this.
  9. Clark V Kauffman

Here's a good review of the "Revisited" set and the extra material it offers.
    It looks like the 18 tracks listed in the post above as being on Disc 2 of "Revisited" are also on the 2009 deluxe edition, while the newly released material for "Revisited" is the stuff relegated to the third disc, which also contains tracks that had been exclusive to Target and Amazon.

"Woodstock 40th Anniversary Revisited" Review
    By Andy Klein
    Los Angeles Times

“Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace and Music 40th Anniversary Limited Edition Revisited” is one of the more cumbersome titles ever to grace a home video release. Parsing it requires a little history.

OK, as you may recall, Woodstock — the most famous of all rock festivals — took place in August 1969. Amazingly, given the huge amount of footage and the complexity of the editing involved, Michael Wadleigh’s documentary “Woodstock” came out a mere seven months later.

There is no need at this point to debate the almost universally acknowledged quality and significance of Wadleigh’s film, or its cultural importance to a certain generation. Nor is there any need to talk about the audio/video quality of these discs: “Woodstock” was shot nearly half a century ago, on three different kinds of 16mm stock, so the reproduction has always been (and always will be) inconsistent, but serviceable.

About a decade later, home video arrived. My brain is too small to keep straight the details of the numerous tape and disc editions to have been issued over the last 30 years, so let’s leapfrog all the way to 2009, when Warner Bros. put out “Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace and Music 40th Anniversary Director’s Cut Ultimate Collectors Edition.” It was an excellent package, featuring the 216-minute cut — about 40 minutes longer than the theatrical release — plus three hours of extras, including (most significantly) 18 previously unreleased performances.

Here’s where it gets tricky: Warner Bros. Home Entertainment — a company whose DVD/Blu-ray releases are often among the best — indulged in an irritating practice that drives video freaks crazy. They made deals with Amazon, Target, and possibly some other retailers for “exclusive editions.” That is — in addition to different configurations of packaging gewgaws I couldn’t care less about — Amazon had three tracks nobody else had; Target had three different tracks nobody else had. The only way to get all six of these was to buy the UK (or another European) edition.

Five years have passed. In lieu of a whole new anniversary edition — they’re waiting for the 50th, I’ll bet — Warner has now given us the 2009 version “revisited.” Whatever. It’s good news for those who didn’t buy it five years ago, and not so good news for those who did: the exclusivity deals must have expired, since, in addition to the standard content in the original 40th anniversary box, this new release gathers together all six of the Amazon and Target tracks, all or most of the other extras from those exclusive editions, plus another 11 tracks, 10 of which appear here for the first time.

It’s the version fans would have liked to have bought in 2009, and it’s nice to finally get it.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  10. Clark V Kauffman

And, of course, true completists will want to also track down the "Woodstock Diaries" DVD and the "Lost Performances" laserdisc, both of which contain additional performances exclusive to those releases!

Here's what my "Lost Performances" laserdisc has:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

This subject was touched on in SHF's back in 1968 (with some input from vidiot).

It was originally shot using French made Eclair 16mm cameras. It was liquid gated up to 35mm.

12. chacha

My fringe edition has your disc 2 but not disc 3 performances.

13. Clark V Kauffman

Yes, that makes sense. The suede-fringe "40th Anniversary" edition had bonus tracks and, as the LA Times review indicates, those are presented on Disc 2 of the subsequent "Revisited" edition. The new material for "Revisited" appears on that version's third disc.

chacha likes this.
  14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

Guys...the 40th Revisited Edition has all the bonus performances in HIGH DEFINITION...the 2009 EDITION does not!

15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Another review I found did point this out, but mentioned the sound is only Dolby Digital 5.1 instead of the feature's Dolby TrueHD 5.1, so heads up if that's a dealbreaker.

Michael likes this.
  16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

thanks...I'm happy with the 4oth Revisited...so I can dig it.

17. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

So... overall, which is the best Blu-Ray version of Woodstock to get? I'm watching on a stereo setup, so 5.1 isn't a necessity for me.

They all seem to run 224min. (I'm guessing that's just the main feature?)

18. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

That is correct. I bought this one 6 years ago yesterday. Region Free UK with all the trimmings. :

[​IMG]

For the Record likes this.
  19. Clark V Kauffman

This is an easy question to answer. If you want the longer director's cut, plus all the available bonus performances, and you want it all in the best picture and sound quality, there's only one choice: "The 40th Anniversary Revisited" BluRay, which is the one pictured in the very first post of this thread.

20. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I've never seen this movie all the way thru, just small bits and pieces (clips) here and there... I probably should buy it to satisfy my curiousity..

21. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I completely concur with this answer.

22. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Does this have all the content that is in the "The 40th Anniversary Revisited" version?

23. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

No

24. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

So is "The 40th Anniversary Revisited" version the one to get in terms of having the most content?

Will it play in a UK player?

25. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.