Woodstock: 3 Days Of Peace And Music (40th Anniversary Limited Edition Revisited) (Blu-ray) ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

The 2014 US 3 disc "Revisited" version is the one to get. I don't know if there are any other countries/regions that have this 2014, 3 disc version.

I set my Oppo BDP-105D to play region B/2 and it successfully played disc one "The Movie", so I guess this set will play in a region B/2 player.

bobcat likes this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Canada, Italy, and Germany. Source www.blu-ray.com .

3. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

The three-disc set called "40th Anniversary Revisited" is definitely the most complete DVD/BluRay representation of Woodstock, and it's also the best the performances have ever looked or sounded in a video format. It's missing some performances that were officially released elsewhere, in other formats (the "Lost Performances" laserdisc, for example), and it's missing a lot of stuff that's not likely to ever be released, but it's by far the most complete release to date. I suppose that may change with a 50th anniversary release...

4. Heavy Music

The Canadian is 3 discs, Region A like the US, The Germany is a single disc, Region B and the Italian is a Region B, 2 disc set.

5. Myke

I'm thrilled.

6. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

By what?

7. Heavy Music

Or by Whom? Michael Jackson maybe? :D

All joking aside, it appears only the North American region (free?) releases for this desirable 3 disc title are available. All other region/countries seem to only have "abbreviated" 1 or 2 disc versions. I have not yet found any reviews/opinions comparing the German/Italian contents with the US/Canada release. So, until someone with some helpful info turns up, that's all I have.

bobcat likes this.
  8. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

I thought the UK blu-ray was comprehensive but thanks to your extremely useful research I realise that was wrong.

So the 40th Anniversary Revisited it will have to be....but as you seem to query, is it region-free? (or, rather, zone-free?)

9. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

We have 2 years to go before the 50th Anniversary, I wonder if there is anything left to include that hasn't been released?

Warren Hawk likes this.
  10. Heavy Music

It seems to be region-free. I successfully played the main disc on my region B modified Oppo. That's all I can confirm.
    Also, I could not find the usual region code data on the rear artwork where it normally should have been.

bobcat likes this.
  11. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Just guessing but since the festival lasted three days I would suggest quite a lot.

12. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Just making a better guess from watching the interview special features included on the 40th dealing with the filming problems and challenges they were working under, except for what hasn't been included yet from the one previously mentioned laserdisc, I would suggest very little to none.

kevywevy likes this.
  13. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Yes, there's quite a bit of good material that has yet to be released on DVD or BluRay. To get an idea of how much we still haven't seen, just take a look at the track list for Rhino's 6-CD set, which is the most complete document of the festival but, of course, is an audio-only product. Even at six discs, the Rhino set is very incomplete. While it's true that there's no usable film for certain performances, check out Page 2 of this thread and you'll see the artwork for the "Lost Performances" laserdisc, which has filmed material from The Band and others who are not adequately represented, if at all, on the DVDs and BluRays released so far.

bobcat likes this.
  14. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

So not a "better" guess after all....

15. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

most of this is on the woodstock Diaries in much better Q some cuts are only on this

16. PNeski@aol.com

No this is not the one to get ,the new one has even more

17. Myke

Good enough for me, thank you.

18. PNeski@aol.com

it is good enough ,just wanted people to know that the new one has a bunch of new extra performances

19. Myke

Others beat you to it, over the last few days.

20. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Correct, "more accurate" probably should have been used instead. Because again, the post above yours only talks about basically the laserdisc film still remaining--which is what I answered you. If you all think there is still tons of film to be released that hasn't been seen anywhere yet, I'm betting you are in for a disappointment there. :shh:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    bobcat, chacha and Myke like this.
  21. PNeski@aol.com

yeah I am late ,hard to pick up from last pages ,who said what

22. Myke

Yeah, reading and comprehending what you just read can be very difficult. :laugh:

23. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

From what I've seen personally there is at least another hour of filmed performances that have not seen any official release.

There used to be a 4 DVD bootleg called "Woodstock Outtakes" Each DVD was around an hour. A lot of the stuff has since been released on the
    40th Anniversary and 40th Revisited bonus discs.

Off the top of my head there is still

"High Flyin' Bird" by Richie Havens
    About 15 minutes of Sweetwater's set
    A lot (at least 30 minutes) of the Incredible String Band's performance was filmed. I don't think any complete performances from their set have been released.
    "Amazing Grace" by Arlo Guthrie. Not really a good performance. Only completist
    "Something Coming On" & "Spinning Wheel" by Blood Sweat & Tears.
    More footage of the Grateful Dead's set.
    "Bad Moon Rising" by CCR (I don't know why this wasn't released with the other 3 songs on the 40th set. There is nothing really wrong with the performance and it
    fits nicely between "Born On the Bayou" and "I Put A Spell On You").
    "Tears Of Rage" by The Band

Finally

"Mr. Soul" (Acoustic) by Neil Young and Stephen Stills. Even with Neil's orders not to be filmed he appears periodically in the footage.

Here's a video of that performance.

Some of the other footage I mentioned above is also available on YouTube.

One thing interesting about Woodstock is that besides Hendrix no other artists have standalone video releases of their performances.
    Both Joan Baez and Jefferson Airplane had a good chunk of their sets filmed.

Warren Hawk, Daryl M and Miller92473 like this.
  24. CirculationUnderflow

CirculationUnderflow Well-Known Member

I wish they would release a box set of every second of every band they have regardless if its a weak set or dark images. This guy set the standard for documentaries. I wanna sit there for 3 days and not miss a minute

Warren Hawk and Galley like this.
  25. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

The original film and 3 album set shaped many people's perception of Woodstock. When you look at the complete list of performers and songs, in their orginal sequence, there's a profound difference between the reality and how it was/is perceived. Even by the 50 milllion peopke who were allegedly there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.