Woody Allen: Film by Film Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 29, 2015.

1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

It looks great ... Jack!

George P and modrevolve like this.
  2. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

The chain gang "moving in unison" at the little old lady's house had me giggling more than I would've expected the other night...

alchemy likes this.
  3. vinnie

vinnie Senior Member

I thought they were just a close family...

mrjinks likes this.
  4. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

when the chain gang member tries to break his leg irons with the sledge hammer.

alchemy likes this.
  5. RayS

A quick stop on Saturday morning TV in 1970 - "Hot Dog" - "The program about stuff"

Here are the opening and closing credits for you all credits fans out there:

6. RayS

An actual "Hot Dog" segment. Woody gives smart ass answers amidst the most pedantic (to use one of Woody's favorite words) narration you'll ever experience.

g.z. and mrjinks like this.
  7. mrjinks

Good find, threadmaster Ray! I've never heard of this program, and am somewhat shocked to see Woody having a small hand in Saturday morning kids' programming.

8. RayS

Thank our good friends at imdb, Google and YouTube. I had never seen the "Hot Dog" clips before today.

So we have this kiddie show and the Hanna Barbera pilot. Yes, they seem odd fits for Woody.

9. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

An interesting tidbit:
    Woody's made-for-TV 1969 short silent film parody "Cupid's Shaft".
    Filmed before TTMAR. (Very low quality.)

mrjinks and RayS like this.
  10. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

Virgil's cello:

11. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

One more thing, Marvin Hamlisch's music score to TTMAR
    is absolutely terrific! I wish there was a CD release with it.
    (The same with Bananas, which he also did the music score.)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  12. RayS

Thanks for that - I had never seen it ... in fact, had never heard of it, although I'm certainly not surprised to see Woody paying tribute to silent film comedy.

g.z. likes this.
  13. mrjinks

Here's a great bit, apparently from a 1969 WA TV special, too. Never seen this before just now....

Edit: both this and the silent film spoof appear to be from The Woody Allen TV Special (1969).

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    g.z. and RayS like this.
  14. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

I didn't see this until today also. Woody's got the moves of a silent film star down pat.

I saw this one also for the first time today. I wonder if the TV special elements still exist
    somewhere. Great stuff.

mrjinks likes this.
  15. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

^ That's awesome. Candice Bergen was really quite stunning in her youth.

I just found the thread, so I'll chime in on the earlier films. Despite being a huge WA fan, I've only ever seen Pussycat once, long ago, and don't remember much. I will definitely have to give it another look.

Tiger Lily is a classic. My friends and I watched it over and over in the mid to late '80s when it was on cable TV a lot. So many quotable lines that I still use today ("Saracen pig!").

Take the Money is a fantastic debut directorial effort, the first "real" WA film. I can't count how many times I've watched it over the years. A bit rough around the edges, but great fun. The movie holds a special place in my memory, as I remember watching it one day with my dad in the room. My dad and I didn't have much in common when it came to humor. He had no time for the irreverent humor that I enjoyed, he was much more old school and mainstream. It was a rare thing to find him laughing at something I was watching or listening to. But I remember a time where I was watching Take the Money and my dad sat down in the room with me. We watched for a while, with nothing but silence from him, but then for one moment he burst out laughing. It was where Woody opens the freezer to reveal that he was storing his shoes there (using the fridge as a closet, which admittedly was a very innocent and vaudevillian gag). That special little moment of bonding where my dad was laughing at something that I liked was burned into my memory forever.

smilin ed, mrjinks, RayS and 2 others like this.
  16. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

'Bananas' was released on the Kritzerland label in an edition of 1000 copies. It also contained the score to 'Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex..." and the title track to 'Sleeper' (the only song that still exists from that film)

It is OOP.

RayS and g.z. like this.
  17. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

:) I really dig posts like this. Thank you for the smile. :thumbsup:

18. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Thank you for the info.

19. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

When my oldest daughter was about ten we sat down to watch this together. She has a dry sense of humor and usually giggles or snickers at something funny. She about fell on the floor laughing at this scene:

g.z. and RayS like this.
  20. RayS

Another brief pit stop. From "The Woody Allen Special", which aired September 21, 1969.

Here's a segment with Billy Graham, who comes off as a pretty good sport, IMO.

rufus t firefly, g.z. and mrjinks like this.
  21. RayS

A "Dick Cavett" appearance from between the release of "Take The Money and Run" and the airing of the TV Special.

g.z. and mrjinks like this.
  22. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

Loved that show! Saw them all.

On topic, I could have appeared in Stardust Memories if they'd let me go up to Sandy Bates to say, "I love your movies, especially the early funny ones."

Rubbing the hot parts in dirty braille books? A bowl of steam? Abandoning the idea of stealing her purse 15 minutes after wanting to marry her? Priceless.

RayS likes this.
  23. vinnie

vinnie Senior Member

Stanley Krim (Cretin)

24. RayS

Coming soon to a thread near you:

g.z. likes this.
  25. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

And now, a brief musical interlude...

RayS likes this.