Woody Allen: Film by Film Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 29, 2015.

1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

woodyallenpages.com points out that the raw footage from a 1987 BBC2 Interview has recently shown up on YouTube:

Woody Allen Interview (1987)

This is a nearly film-by-film career rundown up to "September".

2. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

This was great. I'd love to see him go through all of his films like that.

Knowing how hypercritical he is with his own work, can you imagine how much good stuff has been left on the cutting room floor over his career that we'll never get to see?

RayS and mrjinks like this.
  3. RayS

It would be amazing to see outtakes from "Annie Hall" and see how well the different rough cut ideas held together. I'd even be game for the alternate "September".

mrjinks and sunspot42 like this.
  4. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Thanks for posting the interview. I'm about 10 minutes into it (will have to watch in fits and starts) and it's very interesting.

mrjinks and RayS like this.
  5. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Finally watched the whole series. I thought it was OK. I had a few laughs but ultimately it wasn't one of Woody's better works. I think his appearance actually lifted the enjoyment for me.

6. NightGoatToCairo

Anyone picked up Wonder Wheel on BD yet? Hopefully this will get a physical release in the UK. That will complete my collection. Wonder what will become of A Rainy Day In New York? :cry:

7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Hope he makes more movies. The guy's a genius. Though he has to to be picky with future subject material.

8. RayS

For anyone interested, "Wonder Wheel" will be streaming "free" on Amazon Prime starting June 1st.

wayneklein and vinnie like this.
  9. Over the last decade I’ve found Allen’s films less than compelling with the rare exception. In the twilight of his career, he hasn’t reached the heights he did during his prime.

10. That would be great but knowing Allen this would only come to pass—maybe— after his death.

11. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I'd probably agree with that to some degree, but Midnight in Paris and Blue Jasmine are pretty high-quality works, so I wouldn't count him out just yet...

Sneaky Pete and wayneklein like this.
  12. RayS

Oh, I think Woody already took care of his outtakes in a very permanent fashion. I'd be surprised if he left it to his heirs to decide what to do with them.

mrjinks likes this.
  13. NightGoatToCairo

Still no DVD/Blu-ray release date for UK. I 'need' this to complete my Woody collection.

14. mrjinks

But there hasn't been a physical release of Crisis in Six Scenes, has there? So won't your collection still be incomplete?

15. NightGoatToCairo

What do you suggest I do about that?

16. mrjinks

Don't know - I have the same dilemma!

17. NightGoatToCairo

Just the two of us then. I don't think there's much demand for it. And with all other things considered... I guess it will never get a physical release.

mrjinks likes this.
  18. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

I have always heard that he destroyed all his unused film, but does anyone have a good source for this "fact." Surely, someone must have documented his process destroying all his "excess" footage over the years. I guess I'm just hoping this is an urban legend and that someday someone will "discover" an alternate cut of Annie Hall.

RayS and mrjinks like this.
  19. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Thanks for sharing this. Although not as entertaining as many of Woody's interviews I found it to be very insightful. And I always prefer unedited interviews as well.

mrjinks and RayS like this.
  20. alexpop

Blue Jasmine is in my top three woody films along with Midnight In Paris and Match Point.

somnar and mrjinks like this.
  21. RayS

I got my second look at "Wonder Wheel" tonight (on Amazon Prime).

I feel like this overall story idea was a strong one (particularly the pivotal moment on the pay phone), but there are moments when the script and the performances don't measure up. In particular, Justin Timberlake is just really, really stiff, and plays nearly every scene with an emotional detachment that doesn't match his romanticist character at all.

Visually the film is beautiful at times and daring at times as well.

If I were forced to choose, this is a "miss" rather than a "hit", but it's much closer to a good film than some of the other "misses" (I'm looking at you "Alice").

There seems to be no word whatsoever on "Unnamed Woody Allen Project 2019", and Woody will be in Italy later this month into July directing a live comic opera. I'm getting the uneasy feeling that "A Rainy Day in New York" will be released as usual overseas but will let get little to no screen time before making it's way to Amazon Prime. And that will be that.

adm62 likes this.
  22. mrjinks

Came across this and thought it might interest one of the thousands of followers of this thread:
    The Paul Leslie Hour Episode #118 – Woody Allen

Not a new interview and not about film, but it might be worth a listen (note: I haven't listened to any of it ... yet).

23. mrjinks

Wow - not a quality interview in terms of fidelity. Disappointing... I don’t know if I’ll make it ten minutes.

24. alexpop

Next film is in 2020 still in pre production.

somnar likes this.
  25. mrjinks