Woody Allen: Film by Film Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 29, 2015.

1. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

As to 'Alice' being the bigger miss: I used to admire every single Woody Allen movie up to the turn of the century. Manhatten Murder Mystery was the first I saw in a cinema when it came out, and for me he could do no wrong until Sweet and Lowdown. Looking back maybe his last great one from before he turned hit and miss, but it was the first one I was slightly disappointed with. (I'll have to watch it again, though).

After Small Time Crooks and Jade Scorpion I really thought he lost it or did not care anymore. Then came Matchpoint, which was great and Scoop which was not. Midnight in Paris and Blue Jasmine were also great, but all the others since then are neither hit nor miss for me, rather pleasant if mediocre movies. I will always love Woody, and I don't blame him for this late period.

The reason why I type all this: I wonder if Woody Allen changed around 2000 or if it was me. Did I admire everything from the 90ies and before because I was younger and more enthusiastic? I would have never even thought about Alice as a "miss". (Ok, not every movie was a masterpiece even before 2000)

2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

It amazes me that my favorite film of his (my favorite film, period, I think it is safe to say), "Crimes and Misdemeanors", was followed by "Alice", which for my money is the worst film he made until "Hollywood Ending" joined the canon (yes, I'd rather watch "Jade Scorpion" than "Alice"). I think he was certainly more consistent in making good films before 2000, but the man did turn 65 in 2000, so, as Bob Dylan said, "You couldn't say surprised". As for his more recent output. I'd much rather watch "Wonder Wheel" than any film based on a comic book with a number in the title.

3. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I rather like Alice :hide:

4. RayS

In an article featuring an interview with Jude Law regarding his current film, “A Rainy Day in New York” is declared “indefinitely shelved” by Amazon Studios. Imdb optimistically lists a 2019 release date with no details.

vivresavie and NightGoatToCairo like this.
  5. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

:righton::tiphat:

6. IronWaffle

IronWaffle It’s all over now, baby blue

7. RayS

I think it would be an awesome idea for a Japanese film maker to re-edit "Curse of the Jade Scorpion" and overdub Japanese voices over everything. Also, throw in a random appearance by a Japanese pop group.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  8. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Like, like, like. Teared up of course, you b*stard...

IronWaffle likes this.
  9. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I re-watched Midnight in Paris this weekend. The first time I watched it since I first saw it several years ago now on cable or Netflix.

I had the same thoughts as before. Overall, an enjoyable and fun film. I think that it would have been better with someone other than Wilson in the lead.

I think that even Will Farrell could have pulled off what the character was to be better than Wilson. The second issue and is the transparent disconnect and incompatibility with Rachel McAdam's character. Obviously the differences and tension, needed to be there, but what you don't see is a reason why they would have ever been together to begin with.

10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I would agree about Wilson, but I don't think Farrell has the depth. <shudder>

mrjinks likes this.
  11. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I don't think that Farrell has depth, but he can act with a little more range than Wilson. He can be reserved if he wants to and would have been able to convey the wonder that the character goes through on his strolls. I'm not suggesting that he is the best fit. I only bring it up because I don't think Wilson was ideal and Farrell had done a Woody Allen film before.

12. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

Are we talking about Ferrell Will or Farrell Colin? Both were in Woody Allen films, but I totally forgot about Melinda&Melinda. Colin seems not like the guy excited to visit the Paris of the '20ies though.

13. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

No, not Will Ferrell. Wilson does frantic and bemused pretty well, which is what the role required. If you stick in that age range I can't think of many other "names" or semi-"names" who could have done that role better. If they'd shot the film 10 years earlier Bill Pullman might have been a good fit.

(Another option would have been to scoop up someone fairly prominent from TV, which is always a risk. They often don't have what it takes to translate to the big screen. Also, TV is so diluted now, it doesn't make stars like it used to.)

14. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

What about Mark Ruffalo? He could do confused and excited, would fit in with Hemingway and Dali and would fall in love with Marion Cotillard immediatly.

15. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

Will.

16. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

It’s no ‘What’s New Pussycat’ though, is it?

17. RayS

Yup, and that's quite the good thing, IMO (and Woody's, I might add).

18. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I like him, but no. In the '80s William Hurt would have played the role. Or maybe - by the late '80s / early '90s - Griffin Dunne.

19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Mark Ruffalo? Good actor, not romantic lead material imo.

sunspot42 likes this.
  20. alexpop

Wilson? Owned it. Perfect performance, regardless of his imperfect nose.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  21. alexpop

Woody? I like most of his films in the 21stc the best!!!!!

22. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

But Hulk and Black Widow? Wasn't that romantic?

sunspot42 likes this.
  23. alexpop

CGI sure. King Kong as well.

24. alexpop

I was at the cinema last weekend and it was the worst December for films that appealed to me ever.

25. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I put in my DVD of "Everyone Say I Love You" this weekend. Upon watching it, I realized that I had never actually watched the DVD. Wow, the DVD is TERRIBLE.
    I was brought back to VHS watching it. Ugh.