Woody Allen's "Magic in the Moonlight" (2014)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mrjinks, May 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

I liked it. Thought it was very charming and well put together. Great cast. And I loved the warm, classic lo-fi audio. Felt like an old movie, not a new one. No earplugs required. Look forward to adding the DVD to my Woody Allen collection.

2. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Nice to hear a few positive reviews. I hope to see it soon.

3. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

I must admit that one of my favorite bits of the film came when I was most worried about the direction it would take, when...
    Slowly, but surely, Colin's character has started to have faith in something "magical" and he resorts to prayer. I was sitting there, imagining Woody banging away at that monologue on his old typewriter and I was momentarily worried that - late in life - he might be having second thoughts about his philosophical outlook on things...

Then, Colin suddenly gets ahold of himself, thinking "what the hell am I doing, PRAYING?" and decides at that moment he's going to rededicate himself to exposing the psychic. :righton:

THAT part made me chuckle, and restored my "faith" in Woody, even though the movie was rather lackluster...

4. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I most definitely agree. When the prayer began I started unconsciously moving my closed fist back and forth in front of me, a New Yorker's way of saying "Balderdash!" I was happy, at least, that there was, in the end, no "magic" of any kind.

mrjinks likes this.
  5. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

6. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Great film. Fun. Great cast. I'm looking forward to the Blu-Ray.

I always meet passionate people at a Woody Allen screening :cool:

lbangs likes this.
  7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

How do you post text with the spoiler feature?

8. mrjinks

See the icon immediately to the right of the film strip (media)? It's a drop-down option where you can pick spoiler.
    :wave:

Rfreeman likes this.
  9. RayS

I got to see "Fading Gigolo" last night. A bit difficult to get past the absurdity of the plot (in what world do incredibly beautiful young women pay thousands of dollars to homely men twice their age for sex?), but some wonderful Woody moments in there. Woody's "escape" from the police car was a laugh-out-loud moment for me.

10. mrjinks

Amazingly, that one sneaked by me in the theatres here. Since Woody wasn't the writer/director, I didn't put a high priority on it and ... WHOOSH ... it was gone in a week. I wonder if I'll find it worth adding to my dvd collection (?). I typically don't collect movie dvds, but I do have all Woody's writer/director efforts. I draw the line at getting things like "Scenes From A Mall", or "Picking Up The Pieces", tho...

11. RayS

I bought the DVD because American Express sent me a "spend $20 at Amazon and we'll credit it back to you" offer ... talk about an offer you can't refuse. "Fading Gigolo" is far better than "Picking Up the Pieces" (What isn't?), and Bette Midler isn't in "FG", so 'nuff said there. :) I will re-watch it just for the director's track, but after that I would expect it to gather dust (like most of my DVDs). Watching 77 year old Woody made me think that he should be doing "The Sunshine Boys" NOW.

12. mrjinks

Sunshine Boys - that's another one that was absolutely painful to watch...

So I just picked up a new Amex card - I get one every couple years, rack up their "new member" membership points, redeem them, and cancel - what offer should I be looking for with the amazon connection?

13. RayS

I took a look at the email from AMEX - the offer expired 8-31. The only reason I figure I rate the promotion is because I really only ever use my AMEX card for McCartney tickets (the reason I got the card in the first place). So I guess their idea is if I order from Amazon I'll change my default card to AMEX, and their lives will be better. Sorry I can't be of more help.

14. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I loved this movie. I reckon it his best since Midnight in Paris.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.