Woody Woodpecker live-action movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Apr 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

How many of you knew that there's a live-action Woody Woodpecker movie? It was released last October in Brazil in theaters, and released direct-to-video in the U.S in February.

Oh yeah, and it sucks.

The CGI Woody would have looked pretty impressive if this was 2000 but today it just looks cheap. I guess Universal got cold feet about releasing it to theaters in the U.S after it wrapped (just a guess) and it's no wonder...

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  2. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

saw the Preview on a recent rental disc, skipped and enjoyed the Main Feature!

3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Explain to me again, why Universal hates Brazil so much...? :confused:

Pinknik and Ignatius like this.
  4. PaulKTF

Maybe Brazil stole their lunch money or something, I dunno! :)

5. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

When are they going to make a live action Droopy movie?

6. PaulKTF

Does this count? :)

forthlin likes this.
  7. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

I watched a few minutes of it on Netflix; no good. They waited 75 years to do a Woody Woodpecker movie, and when they finally did, it was this one. I don’t get it.

8. PaulKTF

"Hey, we own this character so let's get it out there in a cheap movie to cash-in".

Steve Litos likes this.
  9. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I’d be surprised if anyone under the age of 40 has any idea who Woody Woodpecker is. The Walter Lantz cartoons seems to have vanished from rotation on TV and in popular culture. Are they going to make a Chilly Willy movie too?

10. PaulKTF

I'm a few years under 40 and I know who he is really only because I'd see the cartoons on TV every once in awhile. He always seems like an annoying character to me.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

no idea! I love Woody...guess I will not see this.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Woody was great didn't miss him when he was on TV when I was a kid...AhahhAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. I have DVD set of Woody Cartoons in B&W...

13. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

14. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Woody is a classic TV cartoon and they should've just left him alone.

15. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Most of my friends are in their 30s. Last year I asked all of them if they could do his laugh, and the vast majority of them could. My nephews and nieces are in their 20s and were also familiar. It was indeed surprising to me.

16. Every huge corporation in the movie/music business couldn't care less about Brazil. The medium/tiny ones ignore that Brazil exists.
    Maybe the reason could be the eternal financial crisis and the lack of professionalism of some of the local senior executives.

Here we only get the major worldwide hits and the very, very, very cheap releases and rejects.

17. Dillydipper

How much of your foreign film business comes to you with Brazilian subtitles or voice dubs?

18. Major hits (mostly comedy, action, animation and child movies) are dubbed and subtitled, with both options running at different screens of a multiplex at different times of the day or the week. The following DVD/BluRay/Netflix release always replicate the subtitles and the dubbing.
    The rejects (bombs) sometimes are advertised here as hits and receive the same treatment, eventually becoming real hits, regardless of quality.

The good foreign flicks are always subtitled.

19. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Gaaahhhhhh...

These were done right, decades ago, the end. You can't barf it back up. So take your stupid-reboot budget and pour it into restoration, doped-up producers.

Here's an actual WW cartoon:

20. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Better to make your own films like the most excellent City of God. Perhaps my most favorite movie of the new millennium thus far.

21. Maybe they like modern takes on past their prime cartoon characters. Heck, I understand an adult version of Little Lulu is popular down there.

22. FredV

FredV Senior Member

23. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I know you mean well but over the past few weeks I've put Doug Walker on notice for reasons best explained elsewhere.

24. Dillydipper

Are these all public domain? Because I see the "usual suspects" in public domain characters there, I'd always assumed that when looking through Prime's catalog...but didn't think any Woody-works was part of that exclusive "club".

Oh - and Dudley...Little Lulu? :wtf: Now that's random...

25. Dillydipper

Maybe if you've got all that development money lying around, you could do something to, I dunno, support Steve Stanchfield over at Thunderbean...throw the guy a bone, and maybe he'll do some nice cleaning-up of the real arcticle for you.:idea:

gd0 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.