Woody Woodpecker live-action movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Apr 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drmark7

drmark7 Forum Resident

This is surely an unusual phenomenon. Modern day movies, especially foreign market ones, with virtually no current exploitation of the original cartoons, other than on pop cultural merchandising (t-shirts, novelty items, etc.)

In addition to the Woody Woodpecker one, there were at least two based on the ancient Hanna-Barbera series, TOP CAT. Which supposedly has kept a following in markets overseas all this time. Being a View-Master reel collector, I can report that for decades after the 60s, they kept their original “Top Cat” View-Master set in print in the UK. And I see the DVD for the TOP CAT movie at Wal-Mart all the time…

12-11- Top Cat: The Movie (US version has Rob Schneider and Danny Trejo as voices.)
    (also known in Spanish as Don Gato y su Pandilla, literally "Top Cat and His Gang")
    It was also made and released in 3-D!
    Top Cat: The Movie - Wikipedia

12-15- Top Cat Begins- a prequel to the above
    Top Cat Begins - Wikipedia

Then there was “Kung Fu Magoo” a quickie movie based on MR. MAGOO that was released. And a Mighty Mouse movie, a Popeye movie, a Betty Boop movie were all once in various stages of production.

For many years I have tutored grade school children. Over the last 10 years or so, will often test their knowledge of the old toons by showing them a Gumby figure or books featuring cartoon characters. I remember one student called Woody Woodpecker “The Road Runner.” (Similar top knot!) LOL! Most everyone knew who Gumby was. And Popeye. A common reply to seeing Betty Boop was, “My mom has her on a pocketbook!” or some such piece of merchandise they got at Spencer Gifts.

I think there is some cartoon knowledge passed on from parents… if they were raised on them… But for the most part, I would think a modern day audience, would have to do some work (Like streaming or being given vintage show DVDs) to have viewed the original cartoons. Or even know who most of the characters were. Because they just don’t have the numerous daily showing that they once had- even on cable. Leading to “household name” status.

2. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

If I wanted to watch a live action Woody Woodpecker, I'd prefer something like this instead:

3. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

It would be nice if something like this would lead to a "tie-in" release of the rest of the Walter Lantz cartoons, including the later Woody Woodpeckers. There are two nice DVD collections out there but they are not comprehensive (though the Woody shorts are chronological, and cover the prime years).

It would also be nice if every freaking movie or TV show wasn't a sequel or a retread of something someone else already did years ago, but that's a whole other subject.

PhantomStranger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.