Work of art: Ortofon/Lyrec all-valve stereo cutting lathe

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by raferx, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raferx

raferx Forum Resident Thread Starter

Absolutely. I think what Sean has accomplished is amazing. I'd love to have a few pints with the fellow and talk about the art of mastering.

2. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Over a few pints I'm willing to talk about almost anything!

raferx likes this.
  3. raferx

4. Drywall record

Drywall record New Member

This is a great system, but it's true that it is not the only all valve disc mastering system in operation. I own one; it is a Grampian Gotham system with 8 channels of all tube mic mixing, as my machine will produce an amazing live record when desired. The sub mixer (which is completely hand built for the system), monitoring, and compressor/limiter/efx stages are also all tube. I am currently building a Universal all tube system which will carry a stereo cutter head.

Len H. Is also able to produce all valve mastering as is Grundman. I have worked with both of them and seen the set-ups.

None of this is meant to detract from this fine machine of Sean's, but only to clarify the existence of other outstanding systems devoted to valve reproduction processes.

5. raferx

If memory serves correct I believe Sean says it's the only all-valve cutter in the UK? Where are you Drywall?

6. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Are you using the Rein Narma designed 811 Gotham cutter amp? Was a great piece of kit but you had to do a degaussing run on the GenRad toroidal OPT every now and then.

7. Drywall record

Yes, my apologies. He may've made the UK distinction, I'm not sure. I am part time in California and part time in Colorado.

8. Drywall record

Yeah, it is a PFB-150WA with 811's driving a type D. We were just talking about degaussing potentials. No need yet though.
    It's a very pretty system. Most are to my eye, though.

9. raferx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.