Worst Chicago song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

Look at the charts in 1988 when the Beach Boys went No. 1.
    (Chicago is on this chart, so it's related to the topic).
    The Chicago song in a few weeks would also hit No. 1.

A lot of it is pretty wretched, except for U2, Stevie Winwood, UB40, CHICAGO, Phil Collins' 1965 oldie remake, Breathe, etc.

Not my favorite year in music, for sure.
    1988: All Charts

US Top 40 Singles For The Week Ending November 5, 1988
    TW LW TITLE Artist – Weeks on Chart (Peak Position)

[​IMG][​IMG]

1 2 KOKOMO –•– The Beach Boys – 10 (1)
    2 3 WILD, WILD WEST –•– The Escape Club – 12 (2)
    3 1 GROOVY KIND OF LOVE –•– Phil Collins – 10 (1)
    4 7 THE LOCO-MOTION –•– Kylie Minoque – 11 (4)
    5 10 BAD MEDICINE –•– Bon Jovi – 7 (5)
    6 9 ONE MOMENT IN TIME –•– Whitney Houston – 9 (6)
    7 8 NEVER TEAR US APART –•– INXS – 13 (7)
    8 14 DESIRE –•– U2 – 6 (8)
    9 4 RED RED WINE –•– UB40 – 28 (1)
    10 5 WHAT’S ON YOUR MIND (PURE ENERGY) –•– Information Society – 17 (3)

11 6 DON’T YOU KNOW WHAT THE NIGHT CAN DO? –•– Steve Winwood – 12 (6)
    12 17 HOW CAN I FALL? –•– Breathe – 9 (12)
    13 21 BABY, I LOVE YOUR WAY/FREEBIRD –•– Will To Power – 9 (13)
    14 12 CHAINS OF LOVE –•– Erasure – 15 (12)
    15 22 KISSING A FOOL –•– George Michael – 5 (15)
    16 16 ANOTHER LOVER –•– Giant Steps – 12 (16)
    17 23 LOOK AWAY –•– Chicago – 7 (17)
    18 20 DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU GOT (TILL IT’S GONE) –•– Cinderella – 10 (18)
    19 11 DON’T BE CRUEL –•– Bobby Brown – 16 (8)
    20 27 I DON’T WANT YOUR LOVE –•– Duran Duran

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Only time this turkey was ever played live. In fact I believe it was the only time anything from the 21st album was.

Nostaljack likes this.
  3. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Chicago already did this. They disappeared for a few years and returned in 1982 with the '80's-style power ballads.

This is also a completely different time. Ageism is alive and well as never before so no one's gonna be checking for a band like Chicago anymore. Fluke hits could happen then; they can't now. Their salad days are completely over.

Ed

Comet01 and zebop like this.
  4. Nostaljack

I saw them at Kings Dominion in VA during the "Hearts in Trouble" tour. Lamm said, "Now is the time to play something from the new record...but we won't". Odd...

Ed

zebop and Hep Alien like this.
  5. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

It could happen. The band has autonomy, who they choose to work with. Someone could come along with something great. Look at the Monkees with Good Times. Davy Jones is gone, but Chicago is without Terry. Was there anything else unreleased with Terry on it that could be worked on? Peter could choose to come back for one last project, just for a lead vocal or something. Doubtful, but possible.

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

I agree with above that given apparently current pop chart realities, I don't think anyone whose recording career began before even 1980 will ever have a top 10 pop single again. I'd love to be proven wrong. I would have said "1990" but realized it still seems possible that say Madonna could have another top 10 single again. Top 10 long-players, yes, especially in the era when selling 10K copies week of release can get you that, but singles? Don't think so.

7. Nostaljack

Peter is not coming back. Ever. The only shot they had at seeing him again was at the "HOF" and either they wouldn't play ball with him or he wouldn't play ball with them - depending on who you believe. Peter is now a dead issue for Chicago.

Ed

Comet01 likes this.
  8. Nostaljack

Madonna will never see the Top 10 again either. She's been trying and hasn't been the least bit successful in that regard. Even if she could, she's Madonna. Chicago never affected culture the way she did.

Ed

9. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

You might be right Ed but she had her last one as recently as five years ago ("Give Me All your Luvin," squeaked in at 10 and with modern guests Nicki Minaj and MIA) and her general "thing" is pretty much what rules the charts right now done by younger women, so I would not bet against her. But you could be right. I'd say she's the LAST pre-1990 artist I would not bet against for ever having a top 10 pop single again.

Hep Alien and John Bliss like this.
  10. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Unlike the original lineup, the 'newer' band members are not good in songwriting and the three distinctive voices the original Chicago was known for are no longer there. The new lineup lacks the creativity of the original band in terms of musicianship. Terry Kath is better than Howland, Danny Seraphine drumming style is more distinctive than Imboden's, Peter's bass playing was more melodic and Laudir is better than their new percussionist.

limoges and Hep Alien like this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

25 or ...remake...o' man that's bad...

12. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Yeah, that remake was atrocious

John Bliss and Michael like this.
  13. Michael

when I cued up the you tube video I was laughing actually when I heard the beginning...really???

14. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

:laughup:

The Night Chicago Died!

;)

limoges and AudiophilePhil like this.
  15. Nostaljack

Different strokes for different folks but I disagree with just about all of this. Keith is absolutely no slouch. Just listen to the stuff he does on his own. He's doing what he's told. He's great otherwise. Tris is an absolutely incredible drummer with a very distinctive sound who's, again, doing as he's told. Jason is an absolute monster bass player (though not much of a singer). I haven't a clue about Jeff as I haven't investigated him.

Ed

16. Nostaljack

It's a totally different tune and I think it's great too. It gets a very bad rap because apparently "25 or 6 to 4" is hallowed ground that should never be touched. This is "25 or 6 to 4" rethought for 1986. The horn work is stellar on it, it's in-your-face, and even Jason sounds good on it. I also really like the Bill-arranged background vocals. I even like the Simmons work by Danny. I think Foster updated this very nicely and I think it totally works.

Ed

Michael likes this.
  17. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

18. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

IMO, the worst Chicago single.
    There are many contenders for worst LP track. Most of them begin with the LPs after Hot Streets..
    Unlistenable (until 1982).

John Bliss and Michael like this.
  19. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

Most artists don't last past their initial decade, or time period, like late 60s/early 70s or late 70s/early 80s.

Very few 1960s acts continued strong in the 70s (Beatles, Stones, Temptations, Stevie Wonder).
    Springsteen stopped having big hits in the 1990s.
    Clapton's last big hit was in the 1990s.

Many, like Clapton, the Stones, Billy Joel, Elton John, Paul Simon, Brian Wilson, continue to record but are bigger as concert acts.

20. Michael

I just can't get the original outta my head...this throws me...

21. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

Sorry but IMO :hurl:

Michael likes this.
  22. Michael

indeed...

23. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Keith is good in playing what he had told to play but he lacks Kath's spontaneity and Kath smokes him in improvisation department.
    Tris is a good drummer technically with generic style but it is only good for a pop act and west coast band and not the right drummer for a jazz rock outfit.
    Jason is a good bass player technically but he is not a melodic bass player and his voice and singing style is awful.
    These three 'newer' members of Chicago have made me cringe every time people refer them as CHICAGO members.

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

First band I saw him with was Greg Lake, so he can certainly do proggier things. But you can't really tell if anyone in Chicago now can improvise, since they generally don't. I do think Imboden played fine on the big band album.

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. Nostaljack

These guys are doing what they're told. Tris "not right for jazz"??? That's just not the case at all. Have you seen his list of credits and who he's played with. Heck, "West Coast" has Jazz in it. Have you heard the "Howland/Imboden" stuff? Tris is definitely not generic. He's just doing what he's told. Same for Howland.

Don't you remember what happened to players not named Terry Kath who tried to create their own lane and improvise? They were fired for it (and admittedly other things). Howland is playing it safe because he wants the paycheck. When he does his solo stuff, he's far more interesting.

Jason is phenomenal as a bass player. Not sure anyone could see it differently. He's a far more interesting bassist than Cetera ever was. As a singer, we totally agree. He's wretched.

Ed

Comet01 and EdgardV like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.