Worst failed solo careers?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SeepSprite, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Only read the first page...Has Sussanna Hoffs been mentioned?:shrug:

sunspot42 likes this.
  2. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Mick Ronson been mentioned yet?
    Though I do LOVE the title of his first solo LP.:winkgrin:

How about Steve Marriot? Great great great voice, great guitar player, bad career/life choices. So sad.

Tristero likes this.
  3. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I'm not sure if she promoted any of her albums. She deserved a better solo career. She has one of the best voices in rock music.

4. zen

zen Senior Member

Glenn Hughes ....but he's really trying to make up for it. :thumbsup:

5. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Barry Goudreau from Boston

No Bull likes this.
  6. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

John Maus of the Walker Brothers - shocking to think he had even less success than nominal Walkers drummer Gary Leeds (who DID have a big hit in Japan), especially considering Maos was a competent singer and songwriter.

wayneklein and somnar like this.
  7. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

When someone now asks me about the 80’s I will link them to this music video. Thank you.

905 likes this.
  8. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

I think you nailed it right there.

RevolutionDoctor likes this.
  9. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

What were you expecting? He had songs. After 1978 Scholz put Boston on an album every eight years (at best) pace. Scholz didn't want Goudreau's songs. Goudreau and other members were encouraged to go solo why Scholz was dickering with the record label. Then Scholz didn't want Goudreau back. All things concerned, Goudreau did all right. A couple of the solo projects got some attention.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Maestro63

Maestro63 Forum Resident

Phil Collins
    Peter Gabriel
    Sting
    Rod Stewart
    Van Morrison
    George Michael
    Michael Jackson
    Ozzy Osborne
    Robert Plant

Wait I read the question wrong:agree:

I meant Andy Summers

somnar, Danderpet and CrombyMouse like this.
  11. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

:biglaugh: :uhhuh:

12. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

His “Heavy Metal (Takin a Ride)” peaked at #43 on the Hot 100 so he doesn’t qualify as per the OP’s criteria.

I submit the talented but hitless Richie Furay.

somnar and wayneklein like this.
  13. I accept your alternative!

14. Heepster

Heepster Forum Resident

The BYRON BAND – with Robin George (2008)

15. Heepster

Heepster Forum Resident

16. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Your profile pic "(si si) je suis un rock star" is not too shabby either to show what the 80s were. :D

17. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Would it be out of line to suggest Pete Townshend?

Yes, Empty Glass had "Let My Love Open The Door."

But reading his autobio, he makes it clear that once his career proceeded from '82 onward, sales never really managed to match his label's expectations, and it was essentially diminshing returns as he progressed from White City, onto Iron Man, and finally, Psychoderelict. It seems ATCO expected him to have a Phil Collins-sized career. But he more or less remained an esoteric fan favorite for hardcore Who fans.

Diamond Star Halo likes this.
  18. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Freddie Mercury

I always wished he had done a solo album in the 70s, since I think it would have been much better than Mr. Bad Guy, which was plagued by the gay club sound.

Thankfully though we got Barcelona, which was much better...and quite frankly the best thing he did in the 80s imo.

Runicen likes this.
  19. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Mr. Bad Guy has its charms, but it does tend to sound more like a set of tech demos rather than a completed album. It's a prime example of the '80s techniques leaving an album sounding "sparse." Shame too, as Made in Heaven proved that the songs were there, if only they had some more lively arrangements to their credit.

More to the topic of this thread, it's amazing how badly it did. I seem to recall hearing that the label spent far more than they ever recouped on this one. Around the time of the reissue of Barcelona (highly recommended), Jim Beach made it sound like the reason Freddie used synths on the original album was down to concern over how well it would do. I presume that's after the flop of the first solo album.

And yes, a '70s FM solo album would have been something, I'm sure.

Zach Johnson likes this.
  20. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

I can't be bothered to read 31 pages.
    Anyone mention Hugh Cornwell of the Stranglers? Plays small UK venues and is pretty good, but the rest of the band kept the name and the arenas.

Porkpie likes this.
  21. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Reminds me of Roger Waters in the 80s! When "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" Diet Pink Floyd toured stadiums and Roger Waters toured clubs and smaller venues the same year.

Now he's a much bigger name in his own right!

22. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

There is a search function:

somnar and rikki nadir like this.
  23. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Thread title makes me think of Paul King. King (the band) had a string of early/mid 80's hits in the UK . Paul left the band, went to the USA and did a solo album which, unfortunately, was so bad he ended up being a presenter for MTV and never made any more music

[​IMG]

24. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I don't know about that. I saw Rog supporting The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking in the local 18,000 seat hockey arena, aka the Spectrum. I was full except for production that prevented seats from being sold behind the stage.

25. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Two amazingly successful artists in top bands, but who failed spectacularly on their debut albums--most blame is on their label (Columbia) that didn't support their efforts (still...their debut LPs have become huge cult favorites today).

Columbia can be forgiven as these groundbreaking LPs were so unusual and different from what they'd hoped for....they just didn't know what to do with them. Gene of course was overshadowed by the Byrds new release---that hit the stores at the same time as Gene's.

Selling only several hundreds of LPs on both of their initial releases...they get rave reviews today (both reissued and very cool). I have the vinyl first pressings of both...my treasures:
    (and two of my all time favorite album covers too~)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    somnar and phillyal1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.