Worst failed solo careers?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SeepSprite, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

He wrote an album about Ronnie James Dio?

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  2. Barry Off EastEnders

Barry Off EastEnders Forum Resident

Phil Collins didn't sell hardly any records solo.

melstapler likes this.
  3. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

Honestly, other than Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel, I'd say "every member of Genesis who ever tried a solo career."

Mike & the Mechanics? Meh. Tony Banks' solo career is just pompous and makes me feel like he just likes to hear himself play. Phil Collins' solo career was good in the 80s but as soon as 1990 rolled around, he just went into a tailspin right down the rabbit hole of schmaltz. Steve Hackett's solo career...Steve who? Meh.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Mike + The Mechanics had 3 US top 10 singles including one #1. In no way could that possibly be considered a failure.

5. OldJohnRobertson

I guess I'm more considering it from an artistic standpoint.

6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

They scored 4 Grammy nominations...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. OldJohnRobertson

Yeah, and Justin Bieber has actually won a Grammy. That has no bearing on someone's artistic merit.

No Bull likes this.
  8. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Well, clearly their peers thought they had merit.

I think you're getting "artistic merit" confused with your personal tastes.

9. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

So what are you saying, that he bought the Grammy, that maybe they were feeling charitable that day?
    Grammy nominations are for all kinds of music, not just the ones that you approve of.

10. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

You really need to look into Steve Hackett's discography -- a lot of solo recordings since he left Genesis -- a few clunkers, but some really fantastic music (and I am not a prog fan :). And everyone I know who has seen him play live recently says the shows are terrific.

11. Grace didn't seem interested (comfortable?) in performing outside of "being part of a band". This always intrigued me.

12. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Tim Booth (singer for the band James)

13. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yes, it would be, in my opinion. Rock & roll is a young man's game. Pete Townshend was 40 when White City came out. How many rock stars can you think of that take their career to the next level at that stage? Phil Collins was 6 years younger and that might not seem like a huge gap, but his solo career also started to run out of gas by the time he got to his 40s. No one stays on top forever, certainly not in the fickle world of music fandom. It is disappointing that his songwriting well has seemingly dried up in later life but personally, I prefer Townshend's solo material to the late 70s/early 80s era Who releases.

JoeRockhead, somnar and warewolf95 like this.
  14. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I definitely wouldn't call Steve Hackett's career a failure. As you say: Amazing albums, probably even better live!

Lownote30 likes this.
  15. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

The thing with Pete is, for such an ambitious artist, it's like he just stopped his solo career after Psychoderelict/Lifehouse Chronicles/whatever. He had a good run of fine albums up to that point. He's an artist that I think has way more to put out than he actually has.

16. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Only difference is the banner under which it appeared: Lindsey and Mick on it, kinda like Lindsey's Tusk contributions. ;)

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

No!
    Quite the opposite.

JasonH and Erik B. like this.
  18. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

does Howard Kaylan count

19. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

It has taken off way more than I would ever expect it to.

alexpop likes this.
  20. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Worst solo mistake?Without question Mick Taylors decision to leave the Rolling Stones.Must've been the "H" he was shooting with Keith or maybe he refused to shoot with Keith.Either way STUPID!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Brian Jones only solo The Pipes of Jouluka.Eeech!

22. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

I think he had to comes to terms with it remaining unfinished. Lifehouse Chronicles and the autobiographical album Psychoderelict where an aging rock star rediscovers a past project and brings it to life seemed to allow him to bring that to a close.

warewolf95 likes this.
  23. Sabbath

Sabbath Forum Resident

She didn’t have success with solo singles in the 80s when Heart was at their commercial peak either. “Best Man In The World” was a great song and didn’t make the Top 50 even though it was released during the Bad Animals period. The only success she’s had sans Nancy is a couple of duet soundtrack songs.

Sneaky Pete and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Would have made a great theme for a TV show starring... Alan Thicke!!!! Whoa...no Mighty Love here!!!!

zebop likes this.
  25. Danderpet

Danderpet Forum Resident

Sometimes I pretend David Lee Roth stayed in Van Halen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.