Worst follow-up releases to hit albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RickH, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts Thread Starter

"Panorama" after "Candy-O" - The Cars. Although I personally liked "Panorama", it was a weird release after the highly successful "Candy-O". Maybe they should have shelved that one at the time.

"Pipes of Peace" after "Tug of War" - Paul McCartney.

Name some more follow-up releases that reeked. :thumbsdn:

2. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

The Beach Boys.

"15 Big Ones" following "Endless Summer"

3. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

Faith No More - Angel Dust after The Real Thing

4. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Red Hot Chili Peppers - One Hot Minute after Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic. They completely lost focus and seemed to be going for a harder 'grungier' sound, that just didn't work, IMO.

5. WizardGlik

WizardGlik New Member

Pink Floyd "The Final Cut" after "The Wall"

veloso2 likes this.
  6. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Van Halen 3, after Balance.

7. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

I thought of that one almost immediately after seeing the title of this thread.

ZOOROPA after ACHTUNG BABY was another that came to mind quickly.
    WILD LIFE after RAM.

SOMETIME IN NEW YORK CITY after IMAGINE.

UNDER THE RED SKY after OH MERCY.

I think this thread is going to go on for awhile, and I'll think of some more, I'm sure.

JcS

shaboo likes this.
  8. Dave D

Dave D Done!

There should be an alarm and red flashing light going off in John Hunter's house right about now. :D

9. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Disagree on the MacCartney. Pipes buries Tug of War. One of my favorites.

I also don't hate 15 Big Ones. It's not their best, but it's not all bad either.

My vote goes to Queen - Hot Space after The Game.
    Styx - Following Pieces of Eight with Cornerstone.

There's a zillion others that I can't think of at the moment.

shaboo likes this.
  10. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I'd bury both ;)

11. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

You Ram guys are brutal!

Now excuse me while I bip, bop, boom, boom, bam to the safety and comfort that my Wildlife lp provides me.

Tip for Wildlife detractors: Start at side 2.

12. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

Bowie - "Tonight" after "Let's Dance"

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  13. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Some excellent choices so far: PANORAMA, TONIGHT, ZOOROPA, FINAL CUT, SOMETIME IN NEW YORK CITY . . .

Yes, PIPES OF PEACE was a dud after the commercial and critical reception accorded TUG OF WAR, which was widely perceived as possibly Paul McCartney's best solo album, with or without Wings. PIPES OF PEACE was perceived as a sad return to form.

Howzabout R.E.M.'s grunge wannabe MONSTER following AUTOMATIC FOR THE PEOPLE? Just try selling a copy of MONSTER to a used CD store or on-line!

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  14. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

That said, the title track got him his last UK Number 1 hit and it is a favourite of mine to this day.

15. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

Foreigner - "Agent Provocateur" following "4." I don't count "Records" as that is a greatest hits.

I suppose the success of 4 would have been a hard act for anyone to follow, however.

16. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I do. At the runout groove. :p

Jason

17. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

I'm not really a RAM guy, although I'd put it in the top 5 McCartney albums, I guess.

But if you start on side two, you get to "I Am Your Singer" that much sooner, and that's a "pleasure" best put off as long as possible!

JcS

18. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I've always liked Monster. I'm always surprised when people hate it, I think it's a fun album. I think the reason you can't sell it is because it sold a bazillion copies so everyone has it. New Adventures in Hi Fi, however, is another animal entirely (even though I liked a few of the songs).

Jason

19. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I was going to say Soup after Blind Melon simply because I remember the bad reviews Soup got when it came out, but it now has been reassessed, at least as far as Allmusic goes.

How about The Spaghetti Incident after The Use Your Illusion albums. (And, hey, how about the Use Your Illusion albums after Appetite for Destruction!)

20. dotwacky

dotwacky Forum Resident

Is it the general consensus here that Angel Dust was a bad album (it's the second or third time I've heard it mentioned as such)? I totally disagree. I thought The Real Thing, if anything, has aged poorly. But if you mean it was perhaps a commerically unsound album, I guess you're right.

I was going to pick Music for Pleasure by The Damned, but then their first album was hardly a hit.

21. GoldenBoy

I quite liked Zooropa, and it wasn't a follow-up in the strictest sense as it was recorded rather quickly and released while they were still on the 'Zoo TV' tour for Achtung Baby just as a way to inject some new material into the 2-year world tour. They never even officially toured for Zooropa, they just added some of the songs to their set.

I was so disappointed by that album after the brilliance of Oh Mercy

22. GoldenBoy

Absolutely up there as one of the worst follow-ups. Even with my hunger for High-Res and the dwindling availability of titles I haven't purchased that DVD-A.

veloso2 likes this.
  23. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

more a case of commercial suicide than a stinker of an album, although I do remember being dissapointed with it, I'll give it a spin tomorrow.

24. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

Agree about REM's Monster. The start of their downward spiral for me.

How about Hootie and the Blowfish's Fairweather Johnson after the mega-selling Cracked Rear View.

25. JeffN727

JeffN727 Forum Resident

Alanis Morissette- Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie. It's a good album, but it just didn't do it for me after the excellent Jagged Little Pill. (IMHO).
    :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.