Worst follow-up releases to hit albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RickH, Jul 19, 2006.

1. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 Well-Known Member

Soup is an amazing album, a lost 90's classic..great album. Almost every track is brilliant (except for that 1 minute intro before galaxie, which probably didnt impress reviewers much, as it is the first thing that you hear when you put it on).
  2. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Well-Known Member

I agree.
  3. seg763

seg763 Well-Known Member

listened to Angel Dust on my way to work, I could make a 40 minute album out of it that I'd like but still not as much as The Real Thing or Introduce Yourself. I like Chuck Mosely fronting this band more than Mike Patton, I'm sure I'm in the minority on that! Probably why I like The Real Thing as most of the work was already done before Patton joined. Angel Dust is to much of that demented carnival / Butthole Surfers / Zappa type stuff for me. The first song Land of Sunshine I find smug and irritating, same thing with Be Aggressive and Crack Hitler. I guess I like Faith No More as a commercial rock band with an edge more than as 'disturbing' art played by guitar bass keys & drums
  4. bru87tr

bru87tr Well-Known Member

ya, 4 would be very hard to follow up. but personally I think Agent is a very good album and one of my most fav songs by them "that was yesterday" is on it. overall its not a bad release, not 4, but I wouldnt say the worst follow up. it had 2 hit singles and the rest of the cd isnt bad. the target sounds excellent and yesterday really sounds good off the target disc. :righton:
  5. bru87tr

another album impossible to follow up! Purple Rain? come on, thats a landmark album for Prince. the only way from that album is down and no way he could equal or break it. impossible to follow up. I will say Around the world is one of my fav albums and another good follow up IMO. if you listen to more than just the radio hits, really listen...its a very cool album. excellent follow I think....def not the worst.
  6. bru87tr

not the worst and invisible touch was a hit album! your kidding right? lets stay focused on the title of the thread. personal tastes are good but worst ? invisible touch, again, was a hit album.
  7. bru87tr

agree!!!!!
  8. bru87tr

thats a good pick!
  9. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

It's the only song I like from that album. Every time I hear it or read the title, I can't help but break into a laughing fit thinking about the story behind the title. :laugh:
  10. GoldenBoy

That may be true, but, IMHO, they both released very strong follow-up albums to their debuts. Whether or not people cared about them is another thing entirely.

Tanita went on to release at least 3 strong albums after her debut and Tracy, after her second album, went into a slump with her next 3, IMO, before recovering with the very strong Let it Rain and her current album.
  11. GoldenBoy

Indeed. That has to be one of the sloppiest, poorly recorded and uninspired drug-fests of a record ever recorded by a rock band, IMHO.
  12. GoldenBoy

I quite like Around the World in a Day. It wasn't as good as Purple Rain as far as instant accessibility, but it was very experimental and quite interesting, IMO. In fact, over the years, I have played Around the World far more than Purple Rain. I admit it was a disappointment as most people were expecting another Purple Rain, but I can't agree hat it was a bad album at all. Songs like 'Tambourine' and 'Paisley Park' are just brilliant, IMHO.
  13. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

'Paisley Park' sounds quite like the Be*tl*s. I guess that wasn't quite what people were expecting. Some of the album is quite brilliant, I agree.
  14. GoldenBoy

Being a 'twenty-something' myself at the time, I had no problem with 'Grunge' at all. In fact, I still like Nirvana to this day, and I certainly still listen to all the bands that Nirvana was ripping off that I liked even before the 'Grunge' explosion, like Sonic Youth, The Pixies, and so on. I just don't think the sound suited R.E.M., or they didn't do it well, or they just sounded like they were hopping on a bandwagon rather than sincerely embracing it.

Depeche Mode, IMO, did a far better job at incorporating the sound of Grunge into their sound.
  15. music4life

music4life Forum Resident

Ooops! I forgot about "Lonesome Jubilee"...

"Into the Fire" after "Reckless" - Bryan Adams
    "Pretenders II" after "Pretenders"
    "One Step Closer" after "Minute By Minute" - Doobie Brothers
    "Body Wishes" after "Tonight I'm Yours" - Rod Stewart
    "Shaken and Stirred" after "The Principle of Moments" - Robert Plant