Worst Guitar Tones

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Classicolin, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicolin

Classicolin ‘60s/‘70s Rock Fanatic/Crown Kingdom Guitarist Thread Starter

For me...

The Black Keys...I find Auerbach's guitar tone completely unlistenable.

Blink 182

Rush, Alex Lifeson (1990s-Today).

acdc7369, mooseman, DiabloG and 2 others like this.
  2. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

D. Boon of Minutemen. Love that band, but his tone...

JoeRockhead, JuanTCB and Classicolin like this.
  3. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

For me, that natural Fender Tele sound is integral to the band.

4. MichaelXX2

MichaelXX2 Dictator perpetuo

Limp Bizkit

acdc7369, AlienRendel and melstapler like this.
  5. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Hmm, nobody stands out in particular (I generally don't dwell on negatives about music... but...) The whole L.A. '80s metal sound, that sort of middy, plasticky, buzzy sound, was a big turnoff for me. Almost ruined the Marshall amplifier company in the process! I very much dislike anything played through a "triple rectifier" sort of amp ... Sounds like gravel rolling around in a cement mixer. Fooey on all that.

6. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Not a common complaint, but I always hated those Ovation acoustic guitars with the fiberglass bodies. Very popular onstage in the 80's, but they had such a thin unnatural sound I never understood why. They seem to have gone away, thankfully.

Rubber65, Keith V, bluemooze and 41 others like this.
  7. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Just about anything that calls itself Metal.
    Ted Nugent
    Just about anything that calls itself "grunge".

8. reeltime

reeltime Forum Resident

That mid-rangy Heart Full of Soul distortion. I much prefer the richer distortion that came later from Hendrix and Townshend.

9. Mychkine

Mychkine Forum Resident

Funny. Just as much as I hate Nugent, I'm nut for his tone in the 70's, particularly on the live "Gonzo!", archtop (Byrdland) with Fender (Super Twins I think) - and I still find that his solo on "Yank Me, Crank Me" is one of the best I've heard in r'n'r.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    Cousin It, Crungy, showtaper and 9 others like this.
  10. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Nu-metal and emo bands - hard to describe, but it's a slick, polished, processed rumble.

11. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

Every hair metal guitarist.
    Steve Morse.
    Steve Vai most times.

Agree with contemporary Alex Lifeson, I wish he could unplug his delay pedal sometimes.

Crungy and carlygtr56 like this.
  12. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yeah odd. ted nugent is known for his outstanding guitar tone

13. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I hate him too, but I love his tone on the live Gonzo version of Great White Buffalo.

14. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

If you're talking about what is called post-grunge, I agree with you. In case of the early 90's bands, you couldn't be wronger. Kurt Cobain got a Jaguar not because it was cheap but because he wanted that very sharp and dry sound you hear when he pairs the thing with his small clone. By your answer, it seems that you suggest that there's a generic grunge guitar tone out there and they're all very different (Kim Thayll and his heavy Guilds, Mike McCready and his SRV tone, the humbucker-driven Jerry Cantrell etc.)

DLeet, progrocker71 and GodShifter like this.
  15. (I'm assuming that bass tones also count in this thread)

As a bass player myself, one of the worst bass tones ever for me is Reginald Arvizu's (best known as "Fieldy"). All bass and treble, with zero mids. Middle frequencies are where the definition of the instrument's sound resides, but he simply has no definition. It's all "boom" and "clickety", but no "meat" in his tone.

Also, and while I consider Mr. John Myung an outstanding musician, I'd like to know what made him decide to use such a clean and "pretty" tone for his work in Dream Theater. That tone is great for his solo stuff, but the band's massive guitar and drums bury him in the mix very easily. He needs some GRIND! And it's not his instrument: When he decided to ditch his Yamaha signature bass and switch to a Music Man Bongo (the reason why the company started making six-string basses, BTW), many (including myself) thought "now he's going to cut in the mix like a sharp knife", since the Bongo is such a beast of an instrument (I'm talking from direct experience). Nope. It didn't happen. It's just the tone he has in his head, which doesn't work for me, at least in a band like Dream Theater.

GodShifter and Matheusms like this.
  16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I never liked that sort of buzzing sound that Ronnie Wood had on The Faces recordings (but I love The Faces:thumbsup:).

Picca likes this.
  17. troyvod

troyvod Forum Resident

ever heard a Crass record, crappiest guitar sound ever!

Dave Decadent and brianplowe like this.
  18. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I love Jeff Beck's MK1 Tone Bender fuzz sound. Probably my second favorite ever guitar sound, behind Willie Johnson's incredible sound on those early Howlin Wolf 78s.

19. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Metal, with drop D and an avalanche of gain. Or metal, again, shredding on the light strings at 100 notes a second with demented sustain.

hi_watt and Mazda like this.
  20. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

James Gurley of Big Brother & The Holding Company had what I consider to be the worst guitar sound on record. The sound of the guitar solo on Summertime is a good example I believe.

hi_watt, bagofsoup and Carserguev like this.
  21. Vernon Reid, at least on the early Living Colour albums. Such an awful '80s tone saturated with digital reverb, when he takes a lead it sounds like a cat wrapped in cellophane howling in a small tin box.

22. Geir

Geir Forum Resident

As much as I love Jethro Tull, and absolute adore Songs From The Wood, and Hunting Girl being one of the best songs on the album, the guitar tone is not very nice

SteveMac and CrombyMouse like this.
  23. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Anything with chorus pedal on it.

ohnothimagen, bhazen and Huck Caton like this.
  24. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I know many of you are going to have a hard time with this, but here goes:

Springsteen's lead tone on Darkness On The Edge Of Town. Razor blade across the ears.

drowningdeep likes this.
  25. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

eric clapton's.
    ty tabor of my favourite band king's x. i don't like the sound he gets when soloing, the rest of the time it's great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.