Worst mastering you've ever heard?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Spaceboy, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodine

bodine Senior Member

That recent Who live in Toronto CD sounded like it was recorded in a cannery.

2. chiagerald

chiagerald Forum Resident

My vote gotes to UK Band The Tears - Self Titled... really brought tears to my eyes

3. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

Two words for ya...

Vapor.
    Trails.

4. Dom W

Dom W Forum Resident

Ocean's Apart by The Go-Betweens - I can't believe the distortion on this.

5. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

It was!:D It was called Maple Leaf Gardens.:laugh:

6. blackmoreb35

blackmoreb35 Forum Resident

Jim Steinman's Bad For Good.

+
    The Black Sabbath 1996 Castle Records remasters

7. Johnny Connor

Johnny Connor New Member

The 1991 Queen Hollywood reissues-muddy,harsh,compressed,no-noised with horrible bonus remixes.Also the Ozzy Osbourne 2002 reissue/ripoffs of Blizzard and Diary-criminal!!:realmad:

8. Johnny Connor

Johnny Connor New Member

Also from Castle:The Definitive Collection Jim Croce.Masters sound like they came from Memorex cassettes taped of AM radio.:hurl:

9. hotrats2

hotrats2 New Member

The twofer were only in it for the money/lumpy gravy on discreet cds
    wrong mastering speed for the first lp!! Course, its also mistakenly released with out the edits. +'s and -'s.

10. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

you have mighty high standards if these are the worst you've heard. no NR, no compression or limiting, no crispy or bloated EQ...

11. phallumontis

phallumontis Active Member

I was about to say, I'm pretty pleased with the Castle Sabbath discs. A significant improvement over the original WB CD's, I think.

12. mothra

mothra New Member

hard to say! The CD of sam cooke live at the harlem club i remember being terrible as well as the early motown cd releases. The thing is that given some modern sound crushing, I wonder if they would sound any better by comparison. Most major label rock releases sound horribly compressed and distorted now.

13. phallumontis

phallumontis Active Member

Dinosaur Jr.'s newest album Beyond sounds atrocious. Their early albums weren't recorded with the best of gear, but at least the mastering still retained dynamics. As good as this album is, I looked at the wav's in Audacity and it looked like smurf turds. Compressed, flat, brickwalled smurf turds.

14. Dave D

Dave D Done!

:confused:
    I thought the Castle's were highly regarded!

15. mothra

mothra New Member

wait! does electronically rechanneled for stereo stuff count?? if so, I think we have many winners.

16. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

The early Castles from 1986 (I think) are highly regarded.

17. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

For the first time since it was released, I listened to Cream: BBC Sessions today. :eek:
    Man, this thing sounds horrible. All of the high and low frequencies are jacked beyond belief and most it is swamped in very obvious noise reduction. When I heard "Tales Of Brave Ulysses" this morning on my way to work, I came very close to removing the CD and flinging it into the river as I crossed a bridge. Seriously, to get the music to sound even remotely 'listenable', I had to shave off all of the high end and bring the bass down almost as far. Unfortunately, nothing can be done to compensate for the gross overuse of NR.

I have heard a vastly superior gray area version of this material so I know how good it could have sounded with a little care and attention. While it may not be "the worst mastering" I've ever heard, it certainly deserves an honorable mention.

18. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Since the last time I voted, I've acquired Amy Whinehouse's CD. Sounds HAHrahbull.

19. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

"Greatest Hits Of Petula Clark" (Gnp Crescendo) which I still have. When I discuss sound quality with friends, I pull this out & show them how bad a CD can sound.

20. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

...and remixed. The surround mix is ok, but the stereo layers are remixed, too.

The original CD sounds just fine to me. I have trouble listening to it all the way through, but that's only because of the incessant disco beat, not the mastering.

21. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

It's Jethro Tull's original Original Masters CD on Chrysalis for me, hands down. I shouted "What s**t is this?!" within a minute. One has to listen to it to believe it.

22. PetSounds

PetSounds Forum Resident

Bass and Drums were overdubbed, thus the lack of "edits"(Zappa did this on purpose, and enjoyed the new bass and drum sounds)

23. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

The first CD issue of Raw Power is pretty bad, compared to the original vinyl. EQ is very midrangey (sounds like Dolby-A decoding wasn't properly set up), tracks are faded out early and there's a digital skip near the end of track 3 (I found this on 3 different copies).

24. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

The Glen Campbell cornerstone series remastered by Norberg 2001
    America - anything remastered by Magic records

25. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I picked up the 2009 reissue yesterday, and was shocked at how poor it sounds. It's a shame, as it's a pretty good album. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.