Worst/most jarringly obvious edits in songs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ajsmith, Jan 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I haven't heard that remaster CD but I'd think the drop in Lennon's voice would give it away.

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Maybe I'm just a tin-eared dolt - maybe? ;) - but I thought the version on the remaster blended really smoothly. I really couldn't hear any abrupt changes.

I guess I need to fish out the old CD. Like I said, I'm pretty sure I checked out the non-remaster at some point and was in the "how did I not notice THAT???" crowd.

The remasters did smooth out some bad edits. The old "She Loves You" had precisely 928 glaringly bad cuts, but the remaster makes them either inaudible or much less obvious, so I'm thinking the remaster smoothed out "SFF"...

3. broccolid

broccolid Trickologist

That one seems to have have inspired XTC when they were doing their Dukes of Stratosphere records. Those types of jarring shifts between separately recorded sections are all over their output, especially their debut EP.

Zack likes this.
  4. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

The most obvious of all:

Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band - The Dust Blows Forward 'N' The Dust Blows Back

5. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

"The Beatles - Revolution 9"

Oh, wait a minute, those EDits are supposed too be the "most" & "jarring"!

JJ

6. appledan

appledan Resident Rockist

The most obvious edit, at least to me, has always been on Led Zep's "Nobody's Fault But Mine".

Near the end of the song Plant is doing his "ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ahhhh..." when out of nowhere and abruptly, the song transitions to Plant singing, "I will get down rollin' toniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight... No-no-no-no-no-no...body's fault!" and then the song concludes.

The edit is so obvious that even a casual listener could notice it.

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

Steve Miller's "Jet Airliner" radio edit. Funky kicks, anyone?

8. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

Or the censored for radio Brown Eyed Girl.

9. broccolid

broccolid Trickologist

Like many of my compatriots on the forum, I am not huge into hip-hop, However, pretty much any major rap single has profanity that is reversed, chopped off or otherwise obscured. To listen to these tracks on the radio is often painful, as sometimes so many edits will be strung together that one can't parse the greater context from what is left intact.

10. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

Similarly, Jethro Tull - "Locomotive Breath" "the all time winner has got him by the fun" on the single version released to coincide with M.U., although M.U. had the normal version.

11. slapbass

slapbass Forum Resident

Columbia produced two single versions of Ramsey Lewis's "Sun Goddess" and both have jarring edits. The first version (which no longer seems to be on YouTube) butchered the lyricless vocal intro and removed the sax solo completely. A second version does a much better job with the into, and includes some of the sax solo. But the end of the sax solo (at 2.23) is badly edited.

12. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

The vocal edit in "Day Tripper" jumps out at me every time...

13. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

It does sound like an edit to me :agree:

Suddenly there're 2 NICK MASONS playing. One for each channel. And that's just not simply a mixing effect. There're 2 different drum takes running at the same time. We can tell that at 7:13, when he hits the snare drum twice on right channel and one on the left one.

14. Ayshpaysh

Ayshpaysh Forum Resident

I look forward to it, I think it sounds cool. The first minute is pretty weird, but everything gets a whole lot weirder right on the edit.

15. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

The Target store 45 ( with t-shirt) of I Am The Walrus.

16. I don't find it to be very obvious. I'm not even sure it's an edit.

17. appledan

appledan Resident Rockist

Listen to it carefully. It sounds like something was cut out right after the "ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ahhhh" part. It transitions too quickly to be natural.

ponkine likes this.
  18. Phil_Lip

Phil_Lip Forum Resident

The coda in (Just Like) Starting Over where the drums come in after the break. I believe Lennon liked it so much he kept it in.

19. ceebee

ceebee Active Member

The Rascals' Lonely Too Long single edit has a couple of carvings....one in a vocal phrase early on, and one that slices right thru the Hammond solo and is obvious and jarring.

20. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

Dave Brubeck - Take Five at about 1:50 in.

21. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I was about to post that one too!

It's clearly noticeable on the cymbals

22. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

I don't hear any edits in the OP's clip. Just a compilation of tunes.

23. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Forgot the edit in The Police's 'Roxanne', just after the first verse (IIRC). Sore thumb.

24. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

How NOT to edit three minutes out of a six minute track.

25. The more I listen, the more I think it is not an edit. It sounds natural to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.