Worst/most jarringly obvious edits in songs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ajsmith, Jan 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

I hadn't even noticed that one -- it's the one at 0:51 that always jumped out at me, as the first chorus ends (in the word "excitations").

2. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

I admit this is a bit off-topic...

but one time, years ago, I was at a tavern with friends on a karaoke night
    and "Karn Evil 9" from ELP was actually on the list of available karaoke songs.

Anyway... I tried to sing along with it
    but the version that they used basically had all the instrumental sections edited out
    and I never knew where the heck I was in the song.
    Needless to say, my "performance" was a disaster. :tiphat:

Brother Maynard likes this.
  3. YooperGlen

YooperGlen Forum Resident

Danny Boy - Ray Price (radio edit)
    edit at 2:37

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    limoges and dalem5467 like this.
  4. YooperGlen

YooperGlen Forum Resident

I Can't Stop (My Lovin' You) - Buck Owens and his Buckaroos
    edit at 1:57

Rick Bartlett and dalem5467 like this.
  5. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

There's a TV commercial with a cover of Steve Miller's "Take The Money And Run" that goes:

"This here's a story about Billy Joe and Bobbie SueWWWWHHHOOOOOAAAAAtake the money and run..."

I don't remember what the product is, but the edit is awful.

2trackmind likes this.
  6. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

Oh man, that Rocks Off live edit is the worst, and I can't figure out why it was made in the first place. It's not like a tighter edit and removing some of the bridge would make an already perfect song better. Sometimes, I really hate those guys ;-)

7. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Miles Davis - "Sivad" off "Live Evil".
    It's a live performance from Cellar Door, Washington. At 3:19 Miles starts to play "Honky Tonk".
    At 3:25 it cuts to a studio take of "Honky Tonk" (later released in whole on "Get Up With It" in 1974), in a faster tempo. At 4:14 it cuts back to the live take of "Honky Tonk", in the slower tempo.
    Teo Macero did a lot of good work, but this is jarring.

8. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

The single edit of "Light My Fire" comes to mind.

9. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

That edit made The Doors superstars. It's freaking seamless.

Man at C&A, hutlock and Cheepnik like this.
  10. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

You had nads for trying!

11. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

The bad edit in Frank Zappa's "Why Don't You Like Me?" (off-beat edit "I'm so bad")
    It really spoils this rearrangement of "Tell Me You Love Me".

"Now I'm Here" by Queen (listen to the guitar shortly before the vocal entry, it seems to skip and it's on every version)

"Fairy Feller>Nevermore" by Queen. A slightly unclean edit made obvious by the change in overall sound. Just listen to the abrupt change in piano sound. Kind of spoils the illusion with the other piano-like instruments popping up in the back.

"Yer Blues" by The Beatles, the way they throw in the first verse with the vocals mixed out (and leakage clearly audible) in a very rough edit just kind of...does not work.

The bad edit in Manfred Mann's "Singing The Dolphin Through"(s-(cut)singing the dolphin through). Again, it's on every version

12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

My least favorite Zappa edit is "Black Napkins" from You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Volume 6 jumping from 1976 to 1984 (without warning in the liner notes).

13. broccolid

broccolid Trickologist

I was recently listening to the somewhat dodgy George Clinton and the P-Funk Allstars Live and Kickin' album. On "Give up the Funk" there is a section where a jam is shortened and glommed on to the return to chorus by a two second long reverse effect--kind of like when rap records get radio edited, but much longer. It almost sounds like someone is hitting the fast forward button on a digital playback. Completely unmusical.

14. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Lennon performed it the same way live:

15. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I've always known it this way and that it IS jarring, is one of the things I love about the recording. :)

16. ganma

ganma Senior Member

Having grown up with those tunes I hardly gave it a second thought, but I think the warts and all factor is one thing that makes those songs endearing. Super smooth renditions have less character. It's interesting to give them another listen and finally recognise those flaws though. :)

17. Frittenköter

that's less the edit itself and more what we were deprived of there in favor of a bad 1984 solo (from Chicago i think), Pat.

another two edits that bother me (on the censored Zappa In New York vinyl):

the dialogue edit in T****es And Beer. It's off-beat and just abrupt.
    And another one: The fake segue from Black Page #1 to #2. It's ever so slightly off-beat, just enough to really bug me.

They weren't Frank's fault though. That was the mighty WB's fault.

The segue into "I Promise Not To..." is also a bit choppy (the first chord is actually slightly cut off).

Or how about this wonderful edit from Broadway The Hard Way (final track, Jesus Thinks You're A J**k):

Editing from Eric Buxton's monologue (Uniondale) into Ike's monologue (WDC) for the last line ("Twilight Zone") in a really unnatural sounding manner. It makes it sound like one person hesitates and the other person finishes the line.
    There's also several jarring edits in the YCDTOSA Vol.1 Yellow Snow i noticed before i was even into "ahem" tapes.

Like this one:

That if anything bad ever happens to your eyes
    As a result of
    (cut)
    Enforced Recreation Live Onstage In London
    The only way that you can get it fixed up

there are too many audible edits where it changes to another Hammy show to list here. Once you've heard them, you can't unhear them sadly.
    Frank's editing capabilites degraded somewhat at that time sadly. Especially on the later installments. Here, it's all just hit and miss.
    I also hate the YCDTOSA Vol.4 Montana. It's just awful, the way it jumps between '73 and '84 with that nasty Simmons drum sound. Just a bad idea badly executed.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

One peculiar Zappa edit is in "Pick Me I'm Clean" from Tinseltown Rebellion, where the venue switches from Berkeley to Dallas and the tempo suddenly changes. Rehearsal tapes from 1981 find that Zappa tried having the next band play this tempo change live but not surprisingly it didn't happen.

19. Frittenköter

didn't he curiously enough also try that tempo change in some 1980 tapes?

at any rate, it's a shame it didn't resurface until 1988, where it just didn't work.

There's also a very very bad edit in the "Dance Contest" just as Lena yells out something and the crowd gets a bit rowdy (or rowdier, as the track was recorded in New York after all and this was around Halloween).

20. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

The album version of Free's All Right Now, the "let me tell you all about it now" part. It has a totally different sound and feel. The single version is almost seamless compared to the album version and definitely a different mix. I love them both though, almost like two different songs. The single having a slightly darker sound whereas the album a happier lighter feel. The main guitar riff/chords are played a lot looser on the album version.

21. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

That awful splice in the single edit of 10cc's "I'm Not In Love" - right around the 3:17 mark

Drifter likes this.
  22. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

Check out the mess at approximately 2:33 on this. The remixer should've been stripped of his credentials.

23. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

Wow, that is a butchering. And on a 12", no less. I would have loved to see what happened on the dance floor when some club DJ played that

24. Ben L

Ben L Forum Resident

Yes it's a totally jarring edit but that's the point where the song gets funky and the guitar action kicks off

Man at C&A likes this.
  25. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

Preston Epps "Bongo Rock" right around 1:12 in...this one has annoyed me since I was about 10 and found a scratched 45 of it in the Goodwill!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.