Worst Opening Act You Sat Through...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by World of Genesis, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

That's exactly what I was thinking as I sort of skimmed through this thread! I always try to find value in opening acts and have quite enjoyed many over the years, but this one did take the cake. A mismatch if there ever was one.

Aardvark23 likes this.
  2. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Probably Spin Doctors opening for the Allman Brothers back in the 90s at some relatively small outdoor event in Upstate NY. Its not that they were particularly bad, its just that I had zero interest in seeing or hearing them. So they get the nod by default.

Fullbug likes this.
  3. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Well that sounds horrible. I saw Eric and Amy 4 or 5 years ago and they were good, enjoyed the show. I saw Marti a couple of times and she did seem not really enjoy the whole chore of touring , but she put on good shows both times. I figured she left the road behind after her painting became her main interest.
    Edit- just saw the next post...yeah, what you said.

4. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I was at those shows and I've got to agree (I'm not a Wilco fan anyway, but they weren't good).

5. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Kinne Star

6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

sass jordan for steve perry on his 'for the love of strange medicine' tour.

loud, screechy and unintelligible lyrics...she could not get off the stage fast enough, there were more people in the foyer than in the theater.

7. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

Some of these posts are almost formulaic "Saw (insert left field recording artist) supporting (insert classic rock act).
    (insert one of these alternatives to sum up experience)
    - 'complete racket'
    - 'made my ears hurt'
    - 'couldn't even sing in tune'
    - 'terrible noise'
    - 'lots of booing'
    "

D.B. and mrbobdobalina like this.
  8. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Sammy Hagar opening for Boston, on the "Don't Look Back" tour.

9. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Journey opening for The Rolling Stones- 1981 Tattoo You Tour- it was pure hell sitting thru that in the broiling Sun.

melstapler likes this.
  10. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Some guy named Darden Smith opening for Stevie Nicks (solo) in...1995? He was just a country guy with an acoustic guitar. Not that Stevie was much better that night...

melstapler likes this.
  11. Sting's son's band opening for The Police. Nepotism aside, they sucked.

walrus and melstapler like this.
  12. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

Whenever threads like this or similar ones pop up (bands you've seen booed), it always seems to be opening acts for The Rolling Stones. My takeaway from this: Rolling Stones fans are a**holes.*

*Kidding! I think it just became such a thing to go see "The Stones" that no one ever wanted to bother with the opening acts.

13. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Easy pal....

Fullbug and lightbulb like this.
  14. PsychedelicMike

PsychedelicMike Forum Resident

Toto opening for Yes. What a bad match.

Dodoz likes this.
  15. old school

old school Senior Member

Dr. Hook opening for West Bruce & Laing in 1972. Not a good match.

16. Tomsk

Tomsk Forum Resident

Easy. Technotronic, supporting Madonna on her Blond Ambition tour, Wembley Stadium, July 1990. I only remember them doing five songs, and three of those were Pump Up The Jam. The sound was awful, the performance was awful, they had zero stage presence, it was like watching a bunch of pre-schoolers shouting into a microphone for 20 minutes. I can only assume Madge chose them to ensure she wouldn't be upstaged.

17. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I saw that concert, too. I was 16, and I thought it was the best concert I'd ever seen!

D.B. and Fullbug like this.
  18. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

They Might Be Giants has had some bad ones - unfortunately, I didn't see the ill-fated time someone booked Afroman as their opening act. XD

The worst was one named Daniel Leviton, who sang one boring song after another about water and islands.

19. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Sorry, Michael Leviton. He was so boring I forgot his name.

20. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Van Halen first tour

way too loud, distorted and wank fest :hide:

Fullbug likes this.
  21. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Two of the many times I saw Aerosmith had opening acts I did not like at the time but have grown to enjoy and even love. Think in 76, Rush was the opening act and in 77 it was AC/DC. Did not dig the guitarists schoolboy outfit when at the time I thought the essence of cool was Joe Perry.

22. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Of course William E. McEuen managed both the NGDB and Steve Martin for many years.

4xoddic likes this.
  23. Bananas&blow

Ha! I 2nd that but not because I don't like PE, I do. But this was in Tempe, AZ in about 1992 and at the time Arizona was the only state without a Martin Luther King holiday so they boycotted. They came out and did one song "By the time I Get to Arizona" and walked off the stage. I was more excited to see them than U2. U2 was ok.

D.B. likes this.
  24. Bananas&blow

I'm guessing you didn't like Iron Maiden in 84 or Metallica in '86 either. Or the Beatles in 1967. You get the idea...

The idea that Rush in 76 and AC/DC in 77 were not enjoyable offends me.

D.B., Wounded Land and MrGrumpy like this.
  25. sfp

sfp Forum Resident

I saw the Salt Lake City show, and all three bands were really good--all with minimal pouting from Thurston. I was happy to see Neil, but it was Sonic Youth that sealed the deal for me. (I lived in SLC for six years, and that was the only time SY played there, so I was ready.)

D.B. likes this.