Worst Opening Act You Sat Through...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by World of Genesis, Aug 14, 2006.

1. FredV

FredV Senior Member

They were there for a Rock & Roll show, not a poetry reading, even it was what might be considered Beat Poetry.

2. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Forget my earlier post...the worst ever was R.E.O. Speeddealer.
    Saw them open up for Los Gusanos (CJ Ramone's band) back in
    the 90s.

3. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Danzig, supporting Metallica, London 1988. Justice tour. I knew about the little troll, but never heard him before. What a bag o'toss. Short man's problem, I believe? Wanker!

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Opening act Kinderhook Creek at The Capital Theater...they were a cover band and did horrible renditions of The Eagles, etc...it was hysterical and painful...

5. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Re: Worse Opening Act You Sat Through...

Bonjovi. Opened for the Scorpions on the Love at First Sting tour 1984. Their whole schtick just sucked.

Lightworker likes this.
  6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

At least they've been consistent.

7. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Girls School opening for Deep Purple.

zen likes this.
  8. Young and Restless

Young and Restless Forum Resident

Not sure if I've already told this story on this thread...
    But it was US Maple opening for Pavement in NYC at the Irving Plaza in 1999.
    US Maple was by far the worst opening act I've ever seen, by a long shot. Pure noise and dissonance.
    They gave my wife an instant migraine, and a nice young woman who was a physiotherapist had to give her a neck message to release the tension knots in her neck.
    Maybe USM is an acquired taste, like drinking diesel. Maybe some folks like that... who am i to judge?

Saw Pavement again on the same tour at the Vogue in Vancouver...
    What's the old saying... fool me once, can't fool me twice?
    This time i went outside to wait until the USM left the stage..
    ;)

The Pavement show was their first farewell tour, and by contrast was quite good in both cases!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Leaman likes this.
  9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Yeah, I saw U.S. Maple open for Pavement at the Fillmore on that tour, and it was excruciating.

Young and Restless likes this.
  10. keef285

keef285 Forum Resident

Sandy Dillon opening for Richard Thompson.........people were sitting open mouthed , but not in a good way.

11. Tyler Chastain

Tyler Chastain Forum Resident

I saw System of a Down on their Mesmerize/Hypnotize tour when I was about 14 in 2005/2006? A band called "Hella" opened and I liked to say at the time that they "hella sucked".

But The Mars Volta also played right before SOAD and I wish I would have been more open minded at the time, because I hated it. 3 or 4 years later I was kicking myself for not giving it a chance then!

12. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

WASP opening for Iron Maiden on their "Somewhere In Time Tour" in november 1986. Just awfull, childish. I felt embarassed for them. My brother in law went with us and it was his first major rock concert. After seeing WASP he said that if this is what constitutes a rock concert it would be the first and last time going to one. But luckily Iron Maiden convinced him other wise.

Fullbug and Man at C&A like this.
  13. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

That “Best Heavy Metal” Grammy must have gone to JT’s head.

Booyaa73 and black sheriff like this.
  14. bladerunner555

bladerunner555 Forum Resident

Blind Melon,MTV 120 minutes tour back in '92.They were first on the bill.
    Stabbing Westward,opening for Killing Joke back in '94.Just made a bunch of racket.Seemed like they didn't want to be there.

Fullbug likes this.
  15. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Samson, pre Iron Maiden Bruce Dickinson in a rapist mask supporting Robin Trower on the Victims of Fury tour. Totally incompatible, just a horrible noise..

16. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

It was a great show. He played for two hours, and then came out and played another 40 minutes as an encore. He announced from the stage he'd pay the overtime of all the venue staff. One of the longest performances I've ever seen.
    As it was the BOOH 10th Anniversary Tour he played loads of the classics, but also several Steinman tracks that wouldn't get a studio version until years later. So I saw Bad For Good, and Original Sin and Dance In Your Pants (which he's never made a studio version of), as well as lots of Bad Attitude/Blind Before I Stop stuff, and a long rock n roll classics medley.
    He was very funny, in great vocal form, and blew everyone away, judging by the comments after.

It was great. One of my favourite gigs.

17. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I've seen a few snoozefest support acts, usually supporting the Stones.

Starsailor supporting the Stones @ Twickenham, 2003 springs to mind. They were so dreary and boring.
    Also, the singer was dreadfully flat. I believe Noel Gallagher once famously said "That Cxxt needs singing lessons"and I wholeheartedly agree.

Half way through the set the crowd started cheering and clapping and the band looked very pleased with themselves, clearly thinking "we've won them over".
    It was actually one of the final flights of Concorde going over the Stadium that we were applauding. :biglaugh:

Other boring/lame support acts for the Stones that spring to mind are Paolo Nutini and The Enemy.

Man at C&A likes this.
  18. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

1989: White Lion opening for AC/DC. People were polite at first, but eventually the boos started for White Lion to get off the stage so we could see AC/DC play.

19. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Josefus(Texas hard rock) opening for the guitar majesty of Quicksilver Messenger Service in 1969 was downright painful.Gimme some more chemicals man to ease the pain I shouted to my bro.

Tucky Buzzard opening for Deep Purple in 1973.

Journey opening for Jeff Beck in 1975.Beck was on tour to promote his great Blow By Blow album.Journey was a band without a identity.Never have liked that band and it all started here.Everybody kept shouting for Beck during the whole performance.

Mechanical Man likes this.
  20. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

For me, it was Brian Ferry!

I can't remember who he opened for, but I just remember that I didn't like him at all!

21. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

I think you nailed it.

Fullbug, Former Scientist and walrus like this.
  22. Living Colour opening for Aerosmith in 2015. After about three songs, I couldn't wait for them to get off of the stage!

23. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Damn. I saw them about two years ago, and other than being at an entirely horrible and inappropriate venue for it, they were awesome. Unless you just hate what they do, I can't imagine them doing a bad gig like that.

Matthew Tate and geogaddi83 like this.
  24. Yeah, I'm not really fan. They played well, I just didn't enjoy their set.

25. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

That's a bummer. They're a bit of an acquired taste (I didn't really get into them till I was in my 30's), but man, Vernon Reid is a force of nature. Although I'm not sure Aerosmith was the best pairing for them. I could see them opening for VH or Dream Theater or something and getting more of a guitar-nerd audience.

Matthew Tate and gitters like this.