Would A.T.'s AT440MLa Cartridge w/ Rega RP 1

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Troyh, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident Thread Starter

In the music section, there's a thread about sibilance and A.T.'s AT440MLa.
    Was wondering if this would be a good match for my RP 1?
    Or would a Rega cartridge be a better 'fit' for the table?
    I really haven't noticed a lot of sib, but there is some on certain LPs.
    Thanks in advance!

2. phallumontis

phallumontis Active Member

Either cartridge should work fine in the Rega. I had an AT440MLa for a time on my Planar 3 and it sounded good. Ultimately I found that its sound wasn't my cup of tea, but from a performance standpoint it was outstanding. It was my first "real" cartridge. Before it, I had never heard so much detail from LP's.

Some sibilance is found on some recordings and not on others, depending on the vocalist and how he/she was recorded. Sometimes an overly hot pressing can cause it, too. Some less revealing cartridges will downplay or soften this, but you can never undo it if it's there. If, however, the cartridge is mistracking and causing undue sibilance, then you should re-check your alignment. I never had any mistracking problems with the AT440MLa, and it is well-known for its ability to get down in the grooves and track distortion-free. The micro-line stylus means you need to take extra care in getting the alignment just right, but I guess I got lucky because I never had any issues.

Rega cartridges have very vocal admirers and detractors. I have never owned one, only demoed at a dealer, so I can't really comment on them from personal experience. They are often recommended for their synergy, ease of installation and alignment with Rega arms. They also have very high output, which makes them a good match with just about any MM phono stage.

3. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

Do you still have this TT? What cart did you settle on for best performance?

4. phallumontis

Yup, the Planar 3 is still rockin'. I first switched to an Ortofon 2M Bronze, which I liked initially but ultimately found to be even less musically satisfying in my system. On great recordings it sounded great, but it did nothing to make my more lo-fi albums rock. It acted like a pair of reference monitors, and I don't enjoy that presentation when listening to music for enjoyment. But again, as a technical performer, it is superb.

I then switched to the Denon DL-160 and have enjoyed it greatly. I feel like it still digs out tons of detail, but it has a slight sweetness in the midrange and some real guts in the low mids which help it "rock" a little more. The highs are natural, not overly bright or soft. The stereo imaging is amazing, with lots of space around the instruments. Inner-groove tracking could be a touch better, but I'm saving up for a Soundsmith fine line retip to address that. It fights the good fight in that arena, and I've never gotten up to end a side prematurely like I often did with my old Ortofon OM5E. It's not necessarily the most truthful cartridge, but I find myself listening to a lot more records than I did with the more analytical cartridges.

It's amazing how much a cartridge can determine your vinyl enjoyment. It's not simply a matter of getting a "good enough cartridge" like many believe. You really have to listen to them and decide whether or not the sound is for you. Nobody is right or wrong.

For the record, I still have the AT440MLa. Its stylus finally needed a replacement, so I fit it with the AT120E stylus due to budget constraints. Sounds very good on the Pioneer PL-518 I bought for my girlfriend.

Jrr likes this.
  5. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

If you're running the stock Ortofon OM 5E now, the 440MLa will be a big improvement. Much better detail, almost non-existing sibilance and inner groove distortion. However, depending on your taste and setup, it can also sound too "bright". There are ways around this, but an easier route for you to improve performance is to upgrade to an Ortofon OM Needle 20 or 30 (30 will be closest to 440MLa performance - less the "brightness").

I concur with phallumontis' comments otherwise (being a happy user of the Denon DL-160 myself).

6. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I ditched a Rega Elys for a 440MLa and the difference was a step-up for me and a sound closer to the detail and clarity I like.

7. ben_wood

ben_wood A traveler of both time and space

I enjoy my AT440MLa / P1 combo. Like Antares said, it's a big improvement over the stock Ortofon.

8. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks team. My budget is $200 and the A.T. should fall into that range, although I've been pleased with the overall performance of the RP 1, I've felt the cartridge was the weakest link in the table.

9. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

I too have been using AT440MLA ever since I got my Planar 2. I have been very pleased with it overall, but have always wondered if there was "something more" that could be achieved with the TT. The Denon DL160 sounds like it would be great, but wouldn't I have issues with my Rega Mira 3 since it is a moving coil cartridge?

10. phallumontis

Nope. It's a high-output moving coil cartridge, which means it can be used with a regular MM phono stage. Its output is stated at 1.6mV but actually measures a bit higher, around 2.2mV. That's lower than most MM cartridges, but still plenty for a MM phono input. Many people have spoken about how well the Denon HOMC's and the Rega phono stages pair together. I'm planning on getting a Rega Fono Mini for my DL-160 at some point.

You should know that the DL-160 has been discontinued for a while now. I found mine NOS on eBay for a good price, and they still pop up here and there. Its little brother, the DL-110, is still in production. They share the same body, but the DL-160 uses a tapered cantilever while the DL-110 uses a straight one. Some people hear differences between the two, usually describing the DL-110's highs as a bit more pronounced than those of the DL-160. Others say they can hear no significant difference, or none at all. I've never personally owned the DL-110, so I can't say. It seems like a safe buy, given that the DL-160 is so rare these days. When my DL-160 goes, I will either retip it or just buy a DL-110.

Switching from the AT to the Denon, you will sacrifice the very best inner groove tracking. It's just a matter of the physical difference between the two styli, the Denon doesn't sail through quite as effortlessly as the AT. But it's still an excellent tracker, and it simply gets more congested rather than sounding grossly distorted. What you lose in ultimate tracking performance, you gain in a much more natural overall sound and warmer midrange. Likewise, because of the difference in styli, the Denon won't be as kind to records in rougher condition. If your collection is in good shape, it does an admirable job of pushing surface noise into the background and riding quietly in the groove. For getting past the groove damage and surface noise on old beaters, the AT is by far the better cartridge.

11. marcelbr

marcelbr Forum Resident

Regarding the RP1 and AT 440MLA -- Is it possible to get the overhang right using just the Rega Protractor ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.