Would "Maybe I'm Amazed" have been a number 1 hit if it was released as a single from "McCartney"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pizza, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

after AR..
    That's the theory, but nothing is written as far as I know documenting the songs genesis.

2. videoman

videoman Senior Member

So it probably would have been less finished and used in the medley...... ;)

3. alexpop

Maybe I'm Man "then solo.
    Also inventive end coda lead gtr.

Be interesting with GM producing.

4. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I've never really liked Maybe I'm Amazed nearly as much as most. Don't dislike it,just don't love it. Perhaps with a more sophisticated GM production and the other Beatles I'd like it a lot more.

5. alexpop

He could have the finished song already and was saving it for his debut solo album, as it's the strongest song on it.

6. videoman

videoman Senior Member

It's got a verse. Then a "B" section (call it bridge or chorus) Then a solo over the verse. Then the B section again. Then another verse. Then an instrumental B section. Then another solo over the verse yet again and out.

It only has two sections and he wrote an ending bit. "You Never Give Me Your Money" has more going on in some ways as the B section is more of a departure from the A section.

MIA is only more of a "complete song" because he filled it out with guitar solos making it 4 minutes long. But there is no more 'song' there.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  7. cellery

cellery Well-Known Member

Totally. Might be his best post-Beatles tune and right on the heels of the groups breakup people were pining for this sort of thing. They woulda sent it to the top of the charts in no time.

Zeki and daveidmarx like this.
  8. videoman

videoman Senior Member

He could have written it when he was with the Quarrymen and saved it for his first solo album 'someday' because he knew it was SOOOOO strong! Or maybe he heard Ringo humming the melody and stole it.

Most likely is what we know. He wrote the song after Abbey Road when he started work on his solo album. If he had some of the ideas in his head already beforehand? Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.

theMess likes this.
  9. alexpop

It's complete, it's a classic.
    Did AR need it, proberly no.
    It would have made side one more evenly ballanced.

Now was John Lennon short changed on AR (complete songs) ?
    I do believe he was.

10. slane

slane Forum Resident

Not only does it only have two sections, but a listen to the isolated vocal track reveals that while most of the vocals were done live with the initial piano take, the vocals for verse 2 were punched in afterwards. That has me wondering if the second verse had even been written at the time of recording - it might mean that Paul only came up with this alternate verse later on in the recording of the song (and maybe just repeated the first - and otherwise only - verse originally).

videoman likes this.
  11. videoman

videoman Senior Member

You Never Give Me Your Money and Golden Slumbers are just as classic, just as well written and are completed by having other bits of songs around them rather than just repeating the same two bits over and over like Maybe I'm Amazed does.

Maybe he should have repeated them 7 times each, making MIA 8 minutes long and therefore we could call it an "epic"?

Could MIA been good on Abbey Road had he already written it? Sure. So would have Another Day. Or any other number of songs he hadn't written yet. "Jet" would have been nice on there too, I suppose. Imagining songs he hadn't written yet being on the album is kinda silly, really.

But to say his contributions to Abbey Road weren't as worthy because they aren't as "complete"? Then you don't really understand the songwriting.

12. alexpop

Well the premise of this thread title is hypothetical. My posts are just taking that idea a little further. :)

13. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Perhaps. Or he botched a lyric or his voice cracked or something and he went back over the 2nd verse later.

theMess likes this.
  14. videoman

videoman Senior Member

It's John who didn't have much in the way of complete songs to bring to the sessions. It was Paul who put the medley together working with the unfinished bits that John had. Mean Mr Mustard and Polythene Pam don't even have choruses or B sections. Just 2 short verses each.

supermd and longaway like this.
  15. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yes, it could be. But it might be significant that the only lyrics that deviate from the main verse and bridge were punched in (later in the session?)

This has the backing vocals on it too (and it's incomplete), but you can hear the lack of the live piano on the second verse here:

theMess likes this.
  16. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

What's wrong with "song"/"wrong"?

17. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Not me...I was in diapers when the original came out!

Chuckee likes this.
  18. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Too short? Let It Be is 3:50, The Long And Winding Road is 3:40. Maybe I'm Amazed is 3:49. I'd say it's just right, length-wise.

Folknik, Zeki and theMess like this.
  19. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Another Day was written by January '69:

supermd, alexpop, Zeki and 1 other person like this.
  20. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I'd take any of Paul's Abbey Road songs over Maybe I'm Amazed - even my least favorite Oh Darling.

But as is often the case with John his songs are the highlights. His two songs are my favorites from side 1 and Because may be my favorite song from Abbey Road. And all his little snippets are great especially Sun King and the two you mentioned

21. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Top ten maybe. The question really is how would it have worked in rotation on AM radio. That was still the driver for singles in 1970.

22. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Wow, 84% voted for yes, what a huge shock!
    Whoever would have thought it....

videoman likes this.
  23. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I'm thinking top 20/40. Another Day is a far superior pop song and didn't get to number one - close though. Number 2 in the UK or US

24. bward

bward Senior Member

I love the McCartney album, as unfinished and ragged as it is. There's somethign about it that keeps me returning to it.

BUT. Here's a what if.

What if Paul had released Maybe I'm Amazed/Junk as a stand alone singe. That'd be a clear answer to Instant Karma.

Then a few months later Every Night/Man We Was Lonely is a second stand alone.

In the meantime, Paul works on the rest of the songs, or RAM becomes his first full solo album.

But as was the case in this era, raw emotion over the breakup of the Beatles took over, and things played out the way they did that don't seem to make a lot of sense nearly 50 years later.

As great as Maybe I'm Amazed is, I don't know if it would have gone number one. Charts are fickle things and anything could have happened. Top 5 for sure. And as someone noted up thread, MIA could have blocked Long And Winding Road from the top spot.

25. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

I think it would have been at last Top 5, considering that it was a good song and released close to the Beatles' breakup.

Whether it would have reached No.1 or not, I think it depends on precise timing. Sometimes a huge hit comes in the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.