Would "Maybe I'm Amazed" have been a number 1 hit if it was released as a single from "McCartney"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pizza, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni Thread Starter

I never thought of it that way. Interesting point.

2. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

To me it always sounded like a Beatles song, and it would have been a #1 hit. It would have worked on the Abbey Road LP.

ohnothimagen and theMess like this.
  3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Not in the USA. Not quite A stack heavy rotation material yet. Wings Over America version was and was a hit single.

4. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Both Something and Let it Be were #1 hits in the US.

5. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I know I was referring to the UK charts.

6. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Something/Come Together was a monster single. Both sides shared number one status. Billboard charted them as one record and listed it as such, a double A.

7. Pretty sure of it...

8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I wouldn't take the poster you're replying to seriously or anybody who'd state Paul hasn't written anything good for almost 40 years.

9. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Besides this one, many Beatles solo album tracks could have been hit singles had they been released as one, here are some examples:

JL: Jealous Guy, Love, Gimme Some Truth
    RS: I'm The Greatest
    GH: Beware of Darkness, ATMP, Awaiting on You All
    PM: Bluebird, Every Night

10. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Charts are tricky.
    A lot of songs we already assume were # 1 hits were only top 10 or even lower.
    So you can never guess what non singles would have been actual chart toppers.
    Often some really garbage songs make it to the top and no one ever remembers them.
    Meanwhile a signature song like John Lennon's Imagine hits # 3.
    It's all based on how you do within a certain weeks time frame.
    Overall sales and legacy is what maters most.
    Maybe I'm Amazed, studio version would have been a huge hit and a gold single for sure IMO and pretty good chance it hits the top spot but ya never know.

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

As long as Engelbert wasn't in the charts same time why not. :)

12. Klassik

Klassik Guerilla BeatLOLogist

Given that Maybe I'm Amazed went straight to the burgeoning FM playlists of the period and has stayed there ever since, there's a huge likelihood that it would have been an American Number One.
    In the UK? Maybe not.
    The fact that there were no singles from McCartney is in line with the band's prior insistence that singles from albums were 'bad value' for fans and since Paul was particularly with this idea, remembering his own experiences of buying singles which end up on albums, it was extra-cool that he defied Allen Klein's new policy of 'Milk those Beatles albums for singles'.

13. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni Thread Starter

Which would explain why MIA not being a single. Still, in the states singles from albums wasn't generally viewed as milking. It was a selling point for many albums, x singles are on this album. Oddly, when a song was only available as a single, that felt like milking. You bought the album but now you also got to buy the 45. I often bought both anyway for people I loved because the B side was often single only.

Zeki likes this.
  14. slane

slane Forum Resident

Let's see how many UK singles the Beatles released from solo albums in 1970:

Sentimental Journey - none
    McCartney - none
    Beaucoups Of Blues - none (though the title track was a US single)
    All Things Must Pass - 'My Sweet Lord' (but only in early 1971 when George relented after it was a US hit - originally he didn't want it to be a UK single)
    Plastic Ono Band - none (though 'Mother' was a US single)

In fact, apart from Lennon's early stand-alone singles, none of the Beatles seemed to want to release a UK solo single at all in 1969-70. That would only change in 1971.

theMess likes this.
  15. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

Generally speaking, McCartney's 70's output seems so much better now than it did say 20 years ago. I don't know if that's just me getting older, less melodic invention in today's music or that relative negative criticism of his output affected my judgement. Whilst his work is not on The Beatles level (how could it?), his 70's stuff has become some of my favourite albums. Carefree, mostly apolitical (more refreshing than ever, today) and of course melodically genius. I keep coming back to his albums and just enjoying them. Maybe I'm Amazed feels a bit like a Beatles number. One of my favourites.

angelees and theMess like this.
  16. timind

timind phorum rezident

When McCartney was released I bought it as soon as I could save up my pennies. On those initial listens I though Maybe I'm Amazed was fantastic. The album as a whole struck me as a bit of a hodge podge of songs, but Maybe I'm Amazed was destined to be a classic. I kept waiting to hear it on the radio and wondered why it didn't appear. Puzzling to my 16-year-old mind.

Had it been released I think it easily would've been a #1 song. I also think it would've driven sales of the album and might've changed McCartney's trajectory. We'll never know.

When I see these types of questions I can only see them through see them through my personal experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.