Would my Technics SL1200 / Shure M97Xe / Marantz SR6007 benefit from a phono stage?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RubenH, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident Thread Starter

Greetings,
    At $1200, the Marantz is not a top-of-the line AV receiver, but it's also not on the cheap end, so I was wondering whether I should consider getting a phone stage/pre-amp. I think if the AV was $300 or so, the benefits would be obvious, but am unsure with this particular setup. If the answer is 'yes,' I welcome recommendations; my budget is under $400.
    Thanks all!

2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

See if you can compare? I don't use vinyl anymore but having heard that the phono stage in my Onkyo TX-NR818 amp is supposed to be very good, I'd be sticking with that (and I trust Noel Keywood at Hi-Fi World as his reviews of Onkyo gear have always been positive and bears out my experience).

If you had the opportunity to try and return if you didn't like, that might be a good way forward.

3. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

I would suggest buying something used, say... McCormack Micro Drive phono stage or Acurus P10.
    There are many other quality used phono stages but I have experience with the two mentioned above.

Most A/V receivers add a phono stage just to cover all the bases and most are cheaply built and low quality.

4. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you gentlemen; I will definitely get something along those lines with the option of returning it if the improvement is not noticeable.

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, the M 97xE is sensitive to capacitance loading. And can benefit from a phono stage which has adjustable loading.

RubenH likes this.
  6. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

Without a doubt, yes. I found that the 97xE worked well at 47K.
    The phono stage is a major weak-point in many modern amplfiers.
    Look at the "Lounge" phono pre. That gives major bang-for-buck.

RubenH likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.