Would the White Album Have Worked Better as the "Kinfauns Basement Tapes"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mbleicher1, May 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Wasn't there an account of McCartney coming to visit Lennon, when Macca was living in the city soaking up art and culture and bristling with ideas, while Lennon was primarily lolling about at his home?

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

They still, of course, did things---like Paul's The Family Way and John in How I Won The War---but it was a very relaxing year for the band as a whole. They pretty much reached the top and could enjoy their time/wealth for a change. So it really makes sense why the workaholic Paul would want/need to invent a new scenario for the band as Sgt Pepper Lonely Hearts Club Band. If he didn't, the band might have called it quits at the end of 1966.

Monasmee likes this.
  3. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

With such unprecedented rest beforehand no wonder they stopped touring, which could've also been a deciding factor after Rishikesh, in both cases eventually returning to the real world which may have seemed far more threatening by comparison.

This after all of the death threats, not to mention the assassinations of Martin Luther King Jr. (4/68) & Robert F. Kennedy (6/68) of which The Beatles' answer seemed to be Hey Jude/Revolution and The Beatles "White Album."

Their disillusionment after The Summer of Love & Transcendental Meditation may have been staggering like most everyone else....

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  4. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

This is what I was talking about:

In 1972, John told Hit Parader Magazine that he wrote “I’m Only Sleeping” himself, adding in a 1980 interview “That’s me dreaming my life away.” Corroborating this point is the Evening Standard article written by Maureen Cleave (which also included the “more popular than Jesus” statement) from March of 1966 which states: “He (John) can sleep almost indefinitely, is probably the laziest person in England. ‘Physically lazy,’ he said. ‘I don’t mind writing or reading or watching or speaking, but sex is the only physical thing I can be bothered with any more.’”

The song was written and arranged in one writing session, co-written but from John’s original idea.” So claims Barry Miles in his book “Many Years From Now,” which also relates more details of the inspiration. He states: “Often Paul would be John’s morning alarm call. Living at Wimpole Street…meant he got up earlier than John and packed more into each day. John led a more relaxed suburban life but if he went to dinner in London or to a club, living so far from town meant that he returned home very late. Paul would arrive at midday or the early afternoon and wake him up, which was where John got the idea for ‘I’m Only Sleeping.’”

"I'm Only Sleeping" by The Beatles. The in-depth story behind the songs of the Beatles. Recording History. Songwriting History. Song Structure and Style.

5. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Studio cost wasn't a because the recording studio was owned by their record label.

6. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Nice to see Piggies getting a damn good whacking in this thread. My least fav Beatles original by a wide margin, though I could die happy without ever sitting through Blue Jay Way or Love You To again.

If for some intra band political reason there was a need to give George a 4th song on this album, Not Guilty would have been a much stronger choice, though then we would have been denied the IMO superior version of that he recorded 11 years later.

YpsiGypsy and Hardy Melville like this.
  8. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

They were setting up Apple Retail, Electronics, Records, Publishing and Films.

Apple Studios did not come into play until 1969...

Of course, the Electronics, Publishing and Retail didn't last very long... :yawn: The Studio, Records, and Films did survive for a few years [1974/1975]...

Shaddam IV likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.