Would you buy a pair of "giant killer" bookshelf speakers from Pioneer?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by soundboy, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

DrJ, I agree with you regarding the speakers in a stand alone setting as you describe. But, the true strength of these speakers is in using them in a HT setup. I've got 3 center speakers for the LCR speakers, BS-41s for the surrounds and the matching subwoofer. It gives you a glorious coherent continuous surround sound field that is totally immersive. And by patiently buying them on sale whenever I could I acquired them all for less than $400.

2. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Yes I could see the small ones we got working out well as surrounds - and cannot comment at all on the rest of the Pioneer HT speakers as I've only heard these little guys. I'm glad you have been happy, sounds like a nice set up! :righton:

3. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

I would have to hear them first

4. Philimon

Philimon Member

The sub is garbage. I tried 2 in a 5.2 and it was still lacking. There is a thread on AVS that has the sub's measurements and they are abysmal.

The FS51 and BS21 are mellow... boring music speakers, but I like them for home theater with the center (after some EQ).

5. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I knew they were mellow but what do you mean by boring?:)

6. ianfaith1

ianfaith1 Forum Resident

Well, I guess one man's boring is another's non-fatiguing, because I think they're very good for music -- especially for the price. And a decent sub takes 'em up yet another notch.

Jerryb likes this.
  7. Philimon

Philimon Member

Reduced high frequencies, not edgy. And lacking definition, attack, or snap. Which for me is boring.

[​IMG]

8. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

Aren't the newer 52's better in the highs?

9. chodad

chodad Hodad

10. ianfaith1

ianfaith1 Forum Resident

I think that roll off is what I like about them. Nice, mellow and easy on the ears for extended periods. Are they the last word in fidelity? Of course not. They are budget speakers after all. But at their price range, they are pretty tough to beat.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Just got the FS52s today. As mentioned above, I can't directly compare them to the FS51s, but I *can* compare them directly to the BS41s. This is what I previously wrote regarding the difference between the BS41s and the FS51s:

Interestingly enough (to me anyway), the differences between the BS41s and the FS52s are *far* greater. While the difference between the BS41s and the FS51s just seemed like a subtle refinement with the FS51s, the FS52s sound quite different. The BS41s feel very recessed, while the FS52s have an upper midrange that is *far* more forward. There seems to be a bit more in the high end too, but I'd say the midrange is really where there's the largest difference.

12. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I haven't heard the 41s so can't comment there. I do remember that the 52s sounded less smooth than the 51s at first in a direct comparison. After 10 hours of break-in, however, the 52s started to sound less forward and more integrated across the frequency spectrum. After 50 hours they were sounding their best, as I described them before. The last crucial step was placement. Once I had that dialed in, I had what sounds to my ears like these advantages over the 51s: better resolution of detail and microdynamics, better frequency extension, wider and deeper soundstage. I've listened with CDs and vinyl of many different kinds of music, from acoustic jazz to classical to electrofunk and everything in between. The 51s sounded very good indeed, especially for the price, but the 52s to my ears sounded better in every way once they'd broken in and I had them placed well.

These speakers do sound their best when the volume is turned up a bit.

Do you have the Chesky Test CD? I've found the soundstage tests on that disc to be very helpful for placement and comparisons. The 52s are revealing enough that I can easily hear distinct differences between the way DACs resolve the stereo image, in addition to things like timbre, microdynamics, etc.

Let us know how the 52s sound as you continue to listen to them. I'll be curious to see if your experience matches mine or not.

13. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

For those who got in on the Fry's deal on the FS52s and the BS22s, Best Buy and Amazon both have the C22 center on sale for $69.99 with free shipping at the moment.

14. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

What can I use to raise my 52's up a few inches? Even though the new 52's are taller than the older 51's the tweeters are still below ear level when I'm seated.

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I just happened to look up the 41s and 51s again, and noticed both were available from various sellers on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045US6DE/ref=pe_385040_128020140_TE_3p_dp_1
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004H1M4NO/ref=pe_385040_128020140_TE_3p_dp_2

I ordered a pair of both, assuming they would be NOS. However, they arrived today and the manufacture date listed is October 2014. What gives? I compared the 41s to the pair I already had, and while there are a few minor cosmetic differences, they seem pretty much the same. Any ideas?

16. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Nope; no horns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.