Would you buy a pair of "giant killer" bookshelf speakers from Pioneer?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by soundboy, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigAlsBro

BigAlsBro Active Member

Does a 5 or 6 inch woofer provide worthwhile "base" unless its installed in a
    transmission line cabinet ?

2. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

You're forgetting that not all audiophiles like the sound of flat frequency response. Some like 4 dB kicks around 300 Hz combined with 4 dB dips around 6 kHz. I find that even the most expensive speakers don't have a flat frequency response. In fact, some on this forum have even told me that flat frequency response is a bad thing. And that's OK if you're into that sort of thing. I prefer neutral, I want to hear what's on the record.

3. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Nope. Not unless you add subwoofers to them.

4. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

All Your Base Are Belong To Us.

5. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

LMAO

6. inperson

inperson Senior Member

What is worthwhile bass to you? If the room is small the bass from 5 or 6 inch woofers might be fine. I have Usher 520's and the bass is fine in my small room. 14' X 11'.

7. 3db

3db New Member

The thought of voicing a speaker never occured to me until now.... I think its strange to color sound coming from your sources by a loudspeaker. I'm with you, flat frequency response will always better reveal the music and subtilities within. I want to hear as the recording artist/engineer intended, and not to be dictated by the speaker. All HIFI should be neutral so not to influence the sound.

8. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Actually, hi fi components are neutral and flat response so that they can be mixed and matched without compromise. Good luck with that.

You can put together a flat, neutral system from non-neutral speakers and non-neutral amps, when the result is flat.

Because people like to think they want the choice, all manufacturers have to bow to the flat response gods.

9. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

I know Stereophile is saying they are great, but during my brief listen didnt find them anything special at all. Maybe need to listen again. It was simply at best buy with whatever they had playing, but ive found the insignia to sound better I believe...oh well time for another listen I guess

EDIT. I heard the version with the 4 inch woofer....oops!

10. 3db

3db New Member

Considering most pre-amps/amps, receivers, integrated amps have an essentially falt frequency response well beyond the range of hearing, how on earth can a component counter the effects of a speaker with a ragged gfrequency response. Please don't say cables or interconnects becuase none of them are active and cannot t produce the postive frequency boost in the upper mids where the VAs dip.

11. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

"Wishful thinking and good vibes"?? :D

12. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I read the Stereophile review yesterday and looking at the size, these look like decent speakers and from my experience with Pioneer 2 way speakers as part of a great Pioneer car stereo set in the late 70ies I expect them to kick some serious butt. Will they kill speakers costing 1 grand ? Most likely not; but I bet they sound more Hi than Mid-Fi..
    No one got these beauties as yet?

13. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

This is something I experienced myself, too. How bad most speakers actually sound even at higher prices than 200 bucks. Under 500 you won't find anything giving you a realistic impression of what is going on on the recording. Either you get decent desktop speakers or bookshelves that keep the lowest 2 or even three octaves to themselves and sound good above.
    From manufactures you hear that more than half of the budget goes into wood for floorstands; so this may explain why most speakers under say 600 bucks simply fail. For 600 plus the question remains - if you want good quality chassis and frequency modules you have to spend at least another 300 bucks or you get a tiny bookshelve speaker...

Anyone heard JBL's new STUDIO 190's ?
    For 800 Euro they have all the right ingredients - decent size, a horn and 3 more chassis plus they won the EISA Awards - European Image & Sound Association; so these should soud decent.
    At this price level speakers start to sound like HiFi...

14. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

That's why I permanently set the equalizer on my system to flatten out the response. It's amazing how once you get the exact right EQ settings, within 1/2 dB, everything comes into focus. I couldn't stand not having an EQ unless the speakers were within 1 dB of being flat, which never happens.

15. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

:confused:

How do you know for sure? Did they look bigger and better than the Polks therefore they sounded better? How can you be sure as many things can affect your listening enjoyment and perception.

You've never heard bright interconnects?

16. 3db

3db New Member

Rumours are running amuck that people have been hearing bright interconnects after being returned from alien abductions. :D

17. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

How bright are we talking? 3 dB from neutral? 1/2 dB? 1/4 dB?

18. 3db

3db New Member

Below is graph listing the sesntivity of hearing.. the threshold at which we hear. Unless there a bunch of Chuck Yeagers in the audio world, 1/4 and 1/2db levels are undetectable by humans. Hence my skepticism of cables.

[​IMG]

19. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

The Pioneer SP-BS41-LR bookshelf speakers are $100.00/pair (plus $5.00 for shipping) on woot.com....today only

20. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

No, 1/4 dB swings are definitely perceptible. I took an online test and could tell the difference 9/10 times. I think that anything less than 1/4 dB is pushing it though. Of course, that's when you're doing an immediate side by side comparison. 1/4 dB swings aren't really noticeable unless you're aware that you're listening for a 1/4 dB swing. 1/2 dB on the other hand, is very easy to hear the difference between.

21. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Wow you have unusually good hearing then!

Seriously, 1/4 db changes are extremely hard to tell apart, and thats even with controlled pure test tones. Another issue is with actual music it totally changes our perception to levels. Humans can sense level differences far easier with test tones, than with actual speech or music.

22. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

I can also tell the difference when I'm mixing music, I frequently make 1/4 dB volume changes to individual tracks. But like I said, I did that when I was taking a test where I knew that the volume was increasing/decreasing/staying constant. What you said is true, test tones are purely continuous signals and aren't very dynamic. Throwing wider dynamics into the mix, especially the dynamic range of human speech, would probably be a whole different ball game.

On the other hand, if you were playing a continuous test tone for me, I'd NEVER be able to tell in a blind test...or if you changed out my interconnects without telling me. I'm not saying people can't hear the difference between interconnects if indeed they do have 1/4 dB deviations in frequency response...I just never tried and I'm pretty confident I would never be able to tell.

23. Masmusic

Masmusic Compact Discs Forever!

Don't care for Pioneer speakers, I would prefer Paradign

24. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

"giant killer" anything sucks.
    Like you are pretending to be David playing against Goliath in the local pub.
    I'll KEEP my Magnepans.

25. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Boy, I'd say "extremely hard" is almost understating it! Hearing that kind of difference is truly extraordinary. Here's a fun test if others are interested (I got the .8 dB difference correctly, but that was it): http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2010/03/sound-challenge-can-you-hear-which-is-louder/

A very different ballgame indeed, not least because there is not only a wide dynamic range, but a range of dynamics at different frequencies, as opposed to the one volume level of a pure tone. Anyhow, remarkable hearing -- bravo!

:cheers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.