Would you buy a SH/KG Black Sabbath - Born Again 180 g vinyl release?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by erniebert, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile Thread Starter

I know what you are all thinking: "Why did he pick this album instead of one of their better-known and more popular releases?" I chose a more obscure title because I already know what the poll results would be for, say, Paranoid or Vol. 4. :) Don't need a poll for those! The resulting discussion should be more intriguing this way.

Born Again has always had problems sonically, but I bet Steve and Kevin could really make it shine (if anyone could).

[​IMG]

:nauga:

Anyone can vote - Vinyl lovers, those who don't do vinyl, Sab fans, non Sab fans, etc.

So.. Would you?

2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I voted no because I have heard the orginal vinyl and the cd, and I do not believe it could be made to shine sonically. No need for our esteemed host to waste his effort.

3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Not one of Sabbaths' best efforts IMO. I might buy it on CD but on vinyl- No!!

4. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

If Steve were somehow able to get hold of the "sensational" legendary original mixes that Ian Gillan says he heard, then I MIGHT be persuaded to buy it. But only out of curiosity. I still think this is a pretty loathsome album and really dosesn't deserve the effort, however.

5. zen

zen Senior Member

This is one of Black Sabbaths' best albums in my opinion. It was simply ruined by Geezer Buttler. Now if a good remix was put onto 180 g vinyl...you've got yourself a great release.

[​IMG]

6. Pulseczar

Pulseczar Member

If Steve and Kevin remastered them, I would buy the debut thru Sabatoge, maybe Heaven and Hell. Other than that NO DIO! Kthnx.

7. erniebert

You're in luck! No Dio on Born Again! :righton:

No Technical Ecstasy or Never Say Die!?

8. erniebert

I was waiting for someone to mention the alternate mix. :)

I should have stipulated the officially released mix (which I love, btw). I love to blast it. :thumbsup:

9. I voted no, for the simple reason that with the titles that MOFI is releasing on both vinyl and Gold CD, not to mention the pending titles from Warner, by Steve, the Black Sabbath album in mention would be so far down the priority list, I'd never have enough interest in it to buy it.

10. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

No. It still needs to be remixed....right.

Good songs there, bad, bad production. Automatic no from Steve. No revisionism.

11. erniebert

Sorry, you lost me here. What's this mean?

12. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I "would' have wanted it remixed. Steve wouldn't work with that.

Original mix, yes - but ugh. Sorry. :)

13. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

One of my favorite Sabbath albums, but like everyone else says...

It needs to be properly mixed.

14. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I just never got into this album. Hell, I like the pop metal Seventh Star more than this. This was a case of the sum being less than the parts. I like Purple, and I like Sabbath, and I even like pretend evil, but this is just one of those albums that sounded like they were trying to hard to be HEAVY AND EVIL, OOOHHH, SCARY COVER. Anyway, I can think of a dozen Sabbath albums I'd rather hear remastered.

15. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

Sabbath, yes. This album, no.

16. Paul L

Paul L Forum Resident

No, probably not. I haven't listened to this album in years. always thought Gillan was an odd choice for the Sabs, though I do like Trashed. Anyway I always think of the Stonehenge scene from Spinal Tap when someone mentions this album:D

17. Evan Guest

Evan Guest Forum Resident

They hit HEAVY right on the mark.Trying to be EVIL and SCARY? Perhaps I have
    an overactive imagination but I think the COVER and lyrical content is absolutely
    hilarious.If you or anyone has seen the video for TRASHED or heard/read any of
    Ian Gillan's commentary about the project you like myself might see the humor in
    the whole production.Tony Iommi like Jimmy Page has an avid interest in many
    things spiritual, both light and dark but for God's sake his favorite guitarist is
    Django Reinhardt.
    If I want SCARY music I go straight to Jasun Martz' 'The Pillory' or Univers Zero's
    'Heresie'.Now that's some serious darkroom listening.
    Also, as for your last sentence there, I actually couldn't agree with you more. :D

Exactly!

18. erniebert

Well, the mix we have is what we have to work with. What can you do? :shrug:

This complaint reminds me of the America poll; Everyone wanted the original mixes. :) Back when it came out, everybody ran out and bought the LP with the new mixes and, when the CD came out, everybody ran out again and bought the album again with the new mixes, but, a Steve Hoffman/Kevin Gray definitive pressing with those same mixes and, "No!" No sale! :laugh:

Just imagine! THE Steve Hoffman and THE Kevin Gray at AcousTech Mastering tackling one of your favourite Black Sabbath albums from the Original Master Tapes, pressed on 180-gram virgin vinyl at RTI and presented in a beautiful, super-deluxe package and you're in the store with one in your hands you wouldn't buy it? :confused:

CBackley likes this.
  19. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

I would like to see The Eternal Idol done.

20. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Forum Resident

While I'd very much respect the effort put into a vinyl release, not to mention the actual result, it cannot overcome the fact that this is one of Sabbath's weakest albums IMO.

21. Toka

Toka Active Member

I love this album for what it is (and don't hate it for what it isn't), and if a "better" version is out there, I'd be the first one to buy it. Note that I said "better" and not "different". I don't want a wholesale remix, but if the "true" version supposedly exists out there (and if it does, I'm guessing its not THAT different than the released version, which really ain't that bad given the time period and the general state of the band), heck, sign me up!

22. Pulseczar

Pulseczar Member

Whoops! Good point. But yeah, my lust for Black Sabbath (or even heavy metal, mostly) starts with the debut and ends with Sabotage. Okay, maybe it skips a few albums and ends with Live at Last.

Actually, I think Steve would be better off remastering Smell the Glove. At least Spinal Tap's Stonehenge made me laugh in a good way.

23. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Sure, why not? Along with the rest of the Sabbath catalog.

24. RickN

RickN New Member

What I am thinking is: What is the point of starting threads like these? I am really curious to know.

25. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Add to that some bad decisions from Tony on guitar sound. Half the time he sounds like he's playing thru a DOD distortion pedal straight into the board.

Great songs though! Awful production.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.