Would you buy an Oppo BDP-105 now (as opposed to another player)?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KeithH, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

It will sound louder.....:) And it will actually.

I think a lot of audiophiles use balanced-for me since my Ayre set up had balanced outputs/inputs I just went that way....and stayed that way....like any cabling issue there is a lot of debate but here's a short article.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/is-balanced-connection-better-1/

2. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

There is also the Marantz UD7007

FLEMKE likes this.
  3. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Quiet

4. mongo

mongo Senior Member

I doubt anyone could detect a difference in the noise floor but the XLR outs have a bit higher gain over the RCAs

5. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

This sums up my position.
    My latest foray into an audio store had the salesman (whom I have dealt with before and trust) suggesting a DAC equipped amp to run with my current CD player. But that doesn't help with SACD, of which I have about 400.

6. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I just bought a BDP-105D and it arrived last night. I had guests over so didn't have a chance to set it up, yet. I am planning to hook up both the surround and the stereo channels in analog, and I want to use it as a DAC for my CDs that have all been ripped to a hard drive. I also have a few SACDs and DVD-As.

I am also looking forward to checking out the Darbee circuit on video.

I'll report back on my impressions after I spent some time with it.

jupiterboy and ben_wood like this.
  7. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Can you let us know if it supports DOP (DSD over PCM). I've seen rumors, but nothing concrete.

8. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

From Oppo's website:
    The BDP-105D supports DSD audio in standard rate (DSD64) or double rate (DSD128 or DSD 2x) via its new USB DAC input. If your computer can play it, the BDP-105D can convert it to analog.

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

It absolutely does, I have one and have tested with DSD tracks via JRiver Media Center.

10. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

But only if it is stereo, not multichannel.

11. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

I have a few questions about the 105:

1. Can I use the analog stereo outputs to my integrated amp and have the HDMI out to my TV? Obviously I know I can't use them at the same time but can I set it up to where when I'm playing an SACD, stereo DVD-A, CD, or file that it plays through the stereo RCA outs and then only use HDMI for when I'm watching a movie (mainly DVDs at this point)? Would I have to dig in some menu each time to switch them? I'd rather not buy a dedicated unit for DVDs/BRDs because those get such little play at my house.

2. Does it convert the DSD, either from a file or SACD to PCM first? My current player the NAD T585 doesn't so I'd like to keep it that way. I'd just stick with the NAD but it seems to have finally decided to not play any discs except some SACDs, weird.

3. Does it support multichannel files? I'm not doing this yet, but if/when I get a receiver again this might be kind of neat.

12. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

1) Yes.

2)Yes and No. You can set the Oppo to convert DSD to PCM or keep it native.

3)Yes.

13. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Why can't you use the HDMI and analog outs together? That's how I (and many others I'm sure) do it, that's the whole point of the 105 compared to the 103

14. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

Many thanks, I'll be picking one of these up soon.

15. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I would go with the 105D since it now can do DSD thru the Asynch USB port.

16. Robert van Diggele

Robert van Diggele Forum Resident

Totally agree, I play movies with the video through HDMI to my TV and the sound using the analog outs to my pre amp.

17. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

That's for all the DSD albums I have :D

18. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

And you can't do this with an Oppo? That is the whole point isn't it?

19. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident

same as i do with my SONY BDP-S300. as a 2ndGen BRDP, it is slow to load, but with the latest firmware in place,
    it spins everything i ask it to to date. it has excellent electronics for it's price ($500.00 MSRP 2007)
    and is inexpensive to repair/replace with copies commonly available today for $50/$25 or less...

20. Robert van Diggele

Robert van Diggele Forum Resident

No, I do this using the Oppo 105. But one of the posters thought this was not possible. Hence my answer, or backing up rbbert, who is using it like this as well.

scobb likes this.
  21. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

Can anyone help? I have an odd query. I have the BDP-103. It's great but for reasons I won't go in to here, I don't have an amp or even proper speakers. I just use the crappy TV speakers, but I want at least to be able to use my headphones for CD playback etc. I can't see anywhere to put normal headphone jacks in.

Is my only option to connect headphones into a headphone amp such as my Nuforce I sometimes use on my Mac? I.e. by using the RCA inputs?

22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yep. Only the 105/105D has a headphone output.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  23. marcfeld69

Thanks. I just noticed that the obvious, of connecting to the TV inputs, doesn't yield such bad sound. When I did that before, I must have been over-critical. Mind you, I still want to have a direct connection to the Oppo, albeit via a phone amp, so I can enjoy any differences with HDCDs.

Btw, from what I can see, my only choice is to connect my NuForce with a single coaxial cable. I can't see where I would connect the two normal RCAs that come off the NuForce, otherwise.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  24. marcfeld69

25. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

I am looking to upgrade my pre/pro and am trying to decide on the 105 DAC vs pre/pro DAC & 103. The "D" is of interest for DSD but with the right Jriver settings I'm getting more comfortable with DSD to PCM (I have a lot of SACD rips). The new Emotiva X series pre/pro (room correction, HDMI video switching) is of interest...if the DAC is comparable to 105 then I can save on the 105 and just use the 103....

I am borrowing a 105 and do enjoy it. It is my processor and I use my old component pre/pro as a MC pre-amp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.