Would you consider selling off some of your prized vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Vinyl, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Currently purging my duplicates. These are mostly pressings where I have a better condition or mastering version. I always have something in a marketplace somewhere. Right now is a good time to sell used vinyl in VG+ or better condition. Since I have a pretty big pile, why not share some nice slabs.

2. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Biggest Beatle fan in our house is the youngest son 24 years old

3. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Interesting, and not entirely unexpected ~ at least not to me. I never really got all of the fuss about Elvis. I sort of see the adulation as a phenomenon that was like a precursor to The Beatles, but more of an idealization; "King", but not the best singer out there, a solo artist, an eidolon.
    No one expected the changes that society has undergone.

Thanks for sharing that.

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  4. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Forum members may have more appreciation for records, but they are also more knowledgeable, and probably have greater access to cheap records and used bins.

5. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Being a fan is one thing, but being a collector is something else. I suspect most fans of The Beatles have no records, or intention of buying records by The Beatles (I'm not including your son in this statement).

6. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I'm planning to sell some of my records at my local record show, which will be further funding my down payment for a future home.

7. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Just avoid the temptation to bring back more than you had at the start.

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Culling ?
    50 titles to start with.
    Won't be missed I betcha.

Dave S likes this.
  9. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

It's true.

alexpop likes this.
  10. alexpop

Well maybe one title.:)

Dave S likes this.
  11. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

As I contemplate my inevitable cull/dump, I think one of the last things I want to deal with is someone who is going to be a Drama Queen about every last flaw on every last record and haggle/hassle over 1 record of [however many transactions I have to deal with].

It's actually why I'd think twice about selling anything on ebay - I'd risk taking a hit on my rating on that inevitable day someone decides they have price-tag remorse or just wants a free record. Not really how I want to spend my time.

I'd rather take the lot around back and shoot it like a sick dog.

Tullman and Kristofa like this.
  12. alexpop

Miss bricks and mortar shops for trade.

13. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I don't know if any younger Beatles fans will ever be interested in shelling out big bucks for some rare 60's Beatles vinyl. That interest could die out with the boomers or second generation fans/collectors. Young people might love the music, but most will never appreciate the value or rarity of some VJ record because of it's obscure cover or label variation. That said......The Beatles music will hopefully still influence future generations musically. That's a safe bet.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  14. alexpop

Uk Beatles Orig vinyl will never lose its value unless trashed.

15. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

it will.

16. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

...yes, I am :)

sleeptowin likes this.
  17. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

I've decided I'm going to die with my vinyl.

I did sell off a few good titles a few years ago. They were ones I didn't listen too that often. I figured they'd do more good with someone who would actually listen to them.

Yeah, the collector in me still regrets the decision. I should have kept 'em.

18. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Well, to further underscore my earlier comments, I’ve just received a starting bid of 150GBP on the latest Irish 12 " that I put up 5 days ago.

19. fitzrik

fitzrik Forum Resident

As I used to do. Tables were cheap enough but the work is, literally, back breaking. Slipped my disc badly last year so I won't be doing that again. Have sold about 1,500 records(most very cheap, not great records) in the last 2 months.
    I still have way too many.

The way I am thinking now is they are just sitting there gathering dust as i don't have the time to listen to the amount I have.

I would be better off drastically downsizing to a smaller collection that I love and listen to regularly. And being able to use the money saved in other ways.

That said, If I was a millionaire and had a huge house I would keep everything :)

Crimson Witch and TonyCzar like this.
  20. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Yes. There's nothing I feel I should part with, but there is easy money to be had if I would simply list a few on eBay. The last 20 years of Neil Young vinyl releases alone would fill my pockets with cash. But I like Neil, which makes it hard. Someday I'll have to clean house. I can't die and leave this stuff behind, my wife will have no idea what it's worth.

21. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I took the plunge when refinancing my mortgage became an unexpected giant mess. At least it wasn't stuff that was super sentimental - at the end of the day, it was the smart thing to do.

22. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Oh, no worries. I did buy only a relatively handful of records each time but have sold more than I bought each time I'm selling my wares.

Another option I've been thinking about when I become a very old man is to donate/give away my records to any metal music-related museums or something.

23. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Does your dog know how you feel about this?

24. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

It's on my agenda and has been for awhile. I have some dups that need to go. I just can't seem to find the time to deal with it all though. Id like to sell online but if I do I prefer play grading and I don't have the time for that these days.

25. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

You may not be asking the right guy. I've been known to give away spare copies of records, let alone selling them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.