Would you consider selling off some of your prized vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Vinyl, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Would I consider? It’s happened many times. Sometimes some values have to give way to other values.........

Tommyboy likes this.
  2. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I sold another 4 x 7 “ singles three weeks ago for 550GBP.

3. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Sell them. Keep the best pressing of each duplicate. Otherwise it’s hoarding if you’re not ever going to play them.

4. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I will sell them all eventually. I wouldn’t want my wife to be stuck with the headache of trying to deal with them.

5. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I hear you, but if you decide to sell your collection how long do you reckon it will take and what would you get for it. You certainly won't sell it in a week and get good money for it.

JG

6. culabula

culabula Unread author.

First of all, there’s no way am selling my collection in its entirety -EVA.

But to get out of Belfast around the the 12th of July and go eat in Galway, I needed to raise some funds. So, I sold some tripe the younger me had the good sense to invest in around 30 years ago for around 1.99IEP a pop and -bingo!

Sure don’t miss 'em.

7. bullmkt3

bullmkt3 Forum Resident

Everything depends on the market. If the market is overvalued I would definitely sell. When these older audiophiles start going to assisted living they will begin reducing their collections. We might be at the top of the market.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

still have some decent stuff left, but no TT...no interest either.

9. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

If I had a budget for music that only allowed me to get more music if I sold the languishing extras, I’d sell the extras. I’d prefer more music as compared to alternate recordings of the same music.

10. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

As I posted elsewhere, I recently gave my vinyl collection (about 1500 pieces I guess) to my cousin, who is 15 years younger than me. This was a collection painstakingly curated during the mid 70s to mid 80s, when one could walk into used record shops on college campuses and buy records for five bucks that it turns out these days people are still looking for. And I knew what I was looking for then. Some very desirable items in today’s market.

So I arrived at this decision after realizing I wasn’t playing vinyl anymore, and that I have a family member that will listen to this every day. It feels like I know my collection is in good hands. He’s over the moon about it. It’s a good day when he pings me with his latest discovery amongst what I gave him.

In the meantime I’m listening to my CDs and SACDs ripped to NAS using Roon and a pretty nice digital rig.

So long story short to any of you fellows in this position (might not apply to you OP), don’t hesitate to pass it on if there’s a younger person in your family that would truly appreciate it.

It’s a great feeling, and it’s worth to me way more than any $$$ I would have realized by selling it.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    zphage and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  11. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Til death do us part

12. GroovyVinylDood

GroovyVinylDood Forum Resident

No. Honestly it's that simple. I'm usually a "never say never" kinda guy but I honestly can't see me parting with any LP's if for no other reason than I'd most likely lose money and it would be a huge PITA. I don't even sell LP's I don't listen to much anymore as I never know when the urge will strike.

I'm in the process of moving from a large home with outbuilding to a much smaller condo and one of the prime considerations in selecting the condo to buy was that it would house my record and CD collection without feeling "crammed".

13. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I've been selling a few albums. I'm thinking about relocating and I'm too old to be moving records. Some of what I'm selling are duplicates and some are albums I've owned and have enjoyed and ready to part with. I know a few are somewhat rare and I'll probably never own another copy of that pressing but that's OK. Time to move on.

Johnny Vinyl and Fender Relic like this.
  14. James Glennon

Ok, theoretically then, do you think you would get a good amount of money for your collection if you decided to get 'rid' of it and do you think you could dispose of it quite quickly, just asking?

JG

15. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yes, I do. Obviously some items would take far longer than others in terms of desirability but I believe some items would go very quickly and for good money. That last lot I sold were done via a 5-day auction.

16. James Glennon

But do you think you would get a lot selling your entire collection as one lot and in a short space of time?

JG

17. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Very much doubt it. Those days are gone. Which is why I do what I do.

18. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I would, but in the current market I'd expect some serious coin. I've seen a dealer near the village where my son lives charging sixty quid for 'Queen ll' and seventy quid for Heep's 'Abominog' for instance. 2nd-hand copies too. Now, I've always looked after my stuff and bought protective see-through sleeves at the same time as buying the album. If I took either of those two in, he's not going to get away with offering me a tenner for the pair. Dealers, business or no business, should show respect when buying. Record collectors aren't idiots........well, not usually.............. :)

19. Johnny Vinyl

Johnny Vinyl Vinylholic Thread Starter

I think the thread has veered off into a discussion about selling off one's entire collection, but that's not what I'm talking about when I created it. It's about the odd album of significance (to you) that you are now considering to sell.

Don't let me stop the discussion, but I did want to point that out.

20. James Glennon

By the way I am not badgering you about this, just curious to know how a fellow Irish record collector handles his collection and what he thinks it is worth.

Like you I have been very protective of my LPs and they are in immaculate condition, I would say most of the secondhand stuff I have is mint. But here's the thing, I have asked at the record stores here and asked many dealers at any of the record fairs held here what could one expect to get for a good collection of high quality vinyl LPs. I nearly wet myself with laughter when I heard their responses.

I know people who have sold 'particular' LPs and got a lot of money for them, but I don't anybody who sold a collection that was delighted with the price.

Just an example...

So a guy has 4,000 LPs to sell as a lot (better stock than you see in any of the record stores). So he innocently says to himself, gosh if I sell the 4,000 LPs at €5 per LP, that will be €20,000. Here in the Republic of Ireland there is not a ghost of a chance that anybody will pay that amount for a collection. They will offer to generously take your collection off your hands for maybe €2,000! The main reason the record stores don't have great stock any more is because they tell me people aren't parting with their vinyl any more like they used.

JG

Andy Smith likes this.
  21. James Glennon

Sorry if we veered off the discussion. I am just trying to tease out exactly how much people think their vinyl LPs are worth and what they would expect to get for individual LPs or a whole collection. From reading all the threads about vinyl LP value, there appears to be a myriad of reasons as to why an LP is valuable.

JG

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  22. Good conversation, definitely a double edge sword with value and what one can actually get. Amazon, eBay, discogs have added to the information/education, availability and the inflation of prices. While many would like to think they are sitting on a goldmine that one person would pay full value for that's not realistic. Collections are as individualistic as we are and there is no prefect mix. If one sells to a dealer/retailer he/ she needs to get their cut , thus they are not going to pay full value, because they need some margin for their profit. So, the most money is selling direct to other individuals via discogs, eBay, Amazon, etc., Hard work usually means you get better results = more cash.

(another option worth considering is consignment with a retailer where they get a percentage depending on what they do= store, online listings, shipping, etc.,)

23. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

always selling. i sold a death metal album for £89 on Friday and spent it buying 5 brand new albums from another website.
    keep it moving.

zphage likes this.
  24. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

also when prices get high i sell. no point sitting on expensive albums you might scratch or break or bend the sleeve. get them sold and buy more.

25. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

No, because I don't have anything specially valuable

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.