Would you edit Mickey Rooney out of Breakfast at Tiffany's?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by antonkk, Feb 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm against messing with classics in any form in pretty much most cases. George Lucas SGI editions of vintage Star Wars made me puke. Yet is there another case in movie history when a movie so great was spoiled by a character so cheesy and horrible? Given the modern technology would you replace Rooney's "japanese" with just an annoying angry man next door. He could be asian or not, just not this ugly and frankly horribly performed and overplayed cartoon.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Hahahahha! Yeah, he's the worst in that movie. Funny post!

3. antonkk

I'd say he's the only truly bad thing about this wonderful classic. Hence the post:shh:

bpmd1962 likes this.
  4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Here's another we should erase.

[​IMG]

quicksilverbudie and wayneklein like this.
  5. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

1) I only object to the performance being so terrible, not the "yellowface" aspect. I don't object to yellowface or blackface in themselves. Would you cut Brando out of Teahouse Of The August Moon? This happens to be one of his most interesting and significant performances, showing he was adept at light comedy.

2) I don't especially care for BAT in the first place. Aside from "Moon River" and the opening scene with Hepburn dragging her mink around the New York streets, it's nothing special IMHO.

wayneklein and Solaris like this.
  6. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

No, you're stuck with him.

Damiano54 likes this.
  7. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

No, but I wish we could edit him out of A Midsummer Night's Dream (1935). His braying laughter is very, very annoying. It would be one of my ATFs if not for him.

Moshe likes this.
  8. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

To learn from our mistakes, we must first acknowledge our mistakes. By erasing it people can pretend it never happened.

Grant, drasil, johnnyyen and 4 others like this.
  9. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Political correctness makes me want to vomit.

10. antonkk

I don't have a PC problem with Rooney's character or his character's nationality. I don't care if he would be japanese, american or russian. I have a good taste problem with what was absolutely horrible, cringe inducing make up and acting. Worst Bollywood movies feature better acting than that. And all this in one of the finest movies of all time. Talk about sore finger sticking out.

11. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

cant learn from the past by erasing it. Easily the worst part of a great movie, but i wouldn't edit it out.

EdgardV likes this.
  12. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

He's terrible, but no.

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

No.

Don't be a George Lucas.

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

indubitably...

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

NO...move on to a better future for all without the PC police on our shoulder...

16. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

If you two are joking ..... cute.

If you're serious, righteousness over past prejudice can be just as bad as the prejudice itself. We cannot change the past and should not try. Learn, move forward and lighten up. ;)

17. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Why the prejudice against Bollywood? Just sayin'.

18. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Agreed!! Dont change the past, thats cheating folks of true history.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, anymore than you should edit out slavery from Gone with the Wind. No question, it's in terrible taste (and it's not very funny, then or now), but it's what was done historically in the film. Removing it out is like ripping pages out of a published novel for fear it might offend modern sensibilities.

Hutch, AndrewS, sixtiesstereo and 2 others like this.
  20. I'd edit Mickey Rooney out of my consciousness if I could.

Ghostworld likes this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I always loved Dana Carvey's impression of Mickey Rooney...

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Me, I'm joking. But even as a kid way back when BAT came out I thought Mickey Rooney gave the stupidest performance of all time. I couldn't believe how awful and corny that role was. I don't really like Mickey Rooney in general. I know he's an icon, but so was Donald O'Conner and I could never stand that annoying idiot, either. And Jerry Lewis... oye. He's like a nightmare, he's so bad. He was good when he was young, but grown up and without Dean he was awful. Oh, wait a minute, I forgot one of my all-time favorites! Red Buttons! There's another one I one I would love to bring out the giant eraser on! Someone brought up Brando in "Tea House." Sorry, great actor, but that's another stinker. We need a thread of worst performances by great actors. The reason I'd want to erase these roles is the same reason I'd like to erase 90 percent of all reality tv shows.... they're just so f$%^& awful they're insulting. Yeah, Mickey Rooney, Donald O'Conner and Red Buttons. They're my holy trio of annoying. Whenever they show up in a movie, it suddenly seems to stink.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  23. But without Jerry Lewis, we wouldn't have Bobby Bittman. :)

24. antonkk

Folks, I have to repeat my post from a while ago:

I don't have a PC problem with Rooney's character or his character's nationality. I don't care if he was japanese, american or russian. I have a good taste problem with what was absolutely horrible, cringe inducing make up and acting.

25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Might as well edit out George Peppard and make it a Audrey Hepburn love fest. :) Saying that I hate old movies with non pc attitudes, really irks me, no doubt offends others.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    James Slattery likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.