Would you watch TV if you didn't have a DVR?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mike from NYC, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member Thread Starter

With the ever growing number and length of commercial breaks I find it impossible to watch live TV anymore and that includes sports - especially.

What say you?

Galley likes this.
  2. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Yes. I watch sports live only, so I don't use the DVR for that at all.

3. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I don't have a DVR. I still watch some TV, especially live sports, and PBS programming. But if I stumble across "Groundhog Day" on AMC, I'll watch it over and over and over...regardless of commercials. :laugh:

4. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

In keeping with the theme, they should just run the same commercials every break . . .

5. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I'd be using my VCR

6. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I don't have a DVR. No reason to with On Demand, or I could go to the show's website and watch it there most of the time. I have HD cable through Comcast (Xfinity), and I don't watch enough TV, or have enough time, to record shows and watch them when they aren't really on.

7. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

I switched cable providers. My old one provided the DVR at no extra charge. The current one wants $10/month. I'm a cheapskate, so I went without. Huge mistake.
    It's not that commercials bother me that much, it's that I'm used to just finding my shows on the DVR and watching them. I can never keep track of when my shows are on anymore, and I sure don't remember to watch them, even if I know when they air. Because of that, I don't really watch much on TV anymore. I'm probably going to get a DVR again real soon, or just cut the cord.

8. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Unless they have commercials in the program you can't fast-forward through. :cussing:

Shawn and Lownote30 like this.
  9. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

No way in hell!

10. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Not if it had commercials. I tape almost everything to watch later. For those sporting events I don't tape I have the sound off most of the time and am playing music, so I don' t pay attention to the commercials. Commercials kill the pace of good tv shows.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, did it for many years before any home video recorders were available to the general public. BUT there is absolutely not even one show I would consider watching on local commercial TV these days....

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    timind and Grand_Ennui like this.
  12. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

That's what I do because I don't have a DVR.

Tanx, alexpop and Grand_Ennui like this.
  13. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I would, and do, watch TV without a DVR.

14. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

No. I record everything with commercials before I will watch them. For sports, I usually partially record it, so I can be close to being caught up before it is over.

Kyhl likes this.
  15. Frank205

Frank205 Forum Resident

I always record have sky hd box never watch live just the sports. watch in my own time

16. beat_truck

beat_truck Forum Resident

I don't have a DVR, just VCRs. I usually either just try to ignore the commercials or mute them if the really get on my nerves.

17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Never had a DVR, and gave up TV itself over 4 years ago. DVDs, Blu-rays, and Netflix ( courtesy of my son ).

18. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I say that's exactly why I quit over 4 years ago. I had just retired, and removing as many annoyances from my life as possible.

19. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I wouldn't watch TV at all. I don't watch sports. 99% of my viewing is documentary or science/nature related. Some series are good but if there's ads or commercials I'm out !

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

We've had DirecTV with a DVR since about 2000 or so. I can't watch anything live because a) the commercials would drive me crazy, and b) there are moments I need to say "what the F was that?" and wind back to see it again. Live TV ain't happening for me. I figured this out in 1976, when I bought my first VCR.

21. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Sure. I don't have a DVR and watch TV all the time.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  22. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

I only see commercials when I visit my parents and have no idea how people can stand them.

23. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Reading this thread made me realize that I've been DVR-ing for quite awhile now. The only time I see commercials is during football games!

Mike from NYC and Dave S like this.
  24. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I've yet to hook mine up and I really don't care.
    I'll watch stuff once in a while but rarely, as there's barely anything worth watching at ALL.

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I don't have a DVR, and I watch TV. :shrug: Never had a DVR. No need for one.

eric777 and Wombat Reynolds like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.