Wow! Fantasy/OJC to start releasing SACDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GregM, Jun 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Maybe on 45rpm lp......................................

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yes, we are doing it on 45...

3. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I don't know...I have this bad feeling of Fantasy reissuing Vince Guaraldi's Black Orpheus on SACD sounding like their OLD version, and not the DCC remaster. :( Even their more recent CDs haven't sounded all that good, IMHO.

4. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I just received the DCC CD of Bill Evans - Portrait in Jazz. This shows up rarely on ebay, and I was lucky to get it at a very reasonable price ($20).

I owned the standard OJC CD, which sounded like crap, then the K2 remastered CD, which was better but still far from the Riverside standard of 1959. I read in this forum that the mastertapes were in bad shape, so I didn't expect a lot of improvement from the DCC CD.

But wow, it blows away the K2 release. Cymbals are at last clearly present, the piano sounds much more natural and less constricted.

So if Fantasy does the same job on the future SACDs ("Portrait in Jazz" is scheduled) than with their K2 release, these SACDs will sound worse than the DCC CDs. What's the use of a superior technology if the remastering is less than optimal?

The Analogue Productions SACDs sound very good (I have 6 of them), but I don't expect much of the Fantasy SACDs, given the experience with their initial and remastered CD releases. But I would like to be positively surprised.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.