Wow! I just won a UK mono Pepper. I'm on a roll today.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris R, Apr 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

Woo hoo.

Boy, early Sunday morning seems to be a good time to bid for records and CDs on eBay. Maybe most of North and South America must be still asleep and over in the U.K., they're eating dinner. :laugh:

This time, I've picked up a matrix -1 mono Sgt. Pepper's. I'm stoked. As with the DCC "Pet Sounds" I've read here time and time again, that this is the definitve Pepper to own.

Much like "Pet Sounds" this will also put me in or near double digits as to how many copies I own. My new girlfriend thinks I'm nuts. :D I'm sure more than a few of you know what I'm talking about.

I think I got it for a decent price too.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=25607&item=2519152073&rd=1

2. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Mike, nice snatch and good price to boot.

3. stever

stever Senior Member

Wow, that IS a good price! I've shopped for this title for quite a while -- I guess I missed this one!

4. Chris R

I just hope the LP is quiet with not a lot of clicks and pops and campfire type noises.

5. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

At THAT price you can't complain! Nice one :thumbsup:

Hope it's as good as the seller described - you're in for a real sonic treat if it is :)

Is this your first UK Beatles mono LP purchase? If it is, be warned...buying these LP's can become highly addictive and can seriously affect your bank balance :laugh:

Enjoy!

Kipper

6. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

Congrats Mike, let us know how it sounds when you receive it.

7. Chris R

Thanks Joe. I am looking forward to receiving it. I will update you all when I it arrives. :)

No this is not my first mono purchase. Had a bad experience in December with a mono "With The Beatles". The LP sleeve looks as if it was sitting in a moist, moldy, damp, attic somewhere in the coldest, dampest section of the U.K. for the past 39 years. The label has a lot of wear around the centre hole. The LP sounds like someone ran a Brillo pad across it. Well, it's not that bad, but fairly crackly throughout with a fair bit of groove damage. I paid 30 or 40 Canadian for it. :( Scared me off of buying any old Beatles U.K. monos for a while.

BTW, it's a -7N pressing to boot, not even a -1, or -2. :(

8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Is the first part referring to the girlfriend or the record?:laugh:

9. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

I'd like to know where that is...it's nearly ALL cold and damp :laugh:

You know I had the chance to buy a -1 or a -7N UK mono WTB recently...they were being offered for similar prices (the -7N about £10 less) and to be honest I couldn't tell the difference when I auditioned the two copies. Perhaps on older record players it was more noticeable, I don't know, but the -1 version sounded no different to my ears. The -7N won out because sleeve and disc were also in better condition. Sorry to hear about the bad experience you had with this one but another one will turn up.

Cheers,

Kipper

10. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

11. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I'll pay you $26 for it.

12. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Kipper - it doesn't sound like you have ever visited Malham Tarn then :D

All the best - Andrew

13. Chris R

My copy does sound pretty good when you get around the noise. I'm going to take it to the audiophile store again and clean it on a VPI machine. Hopefully it will sound quieter after the cleaning. I recently acquired a German Help! on Horzu and a German Revolver on Apple. They were both a bit crackly when I first played them. After the VPI cleaning they now both play very quiet. :)

I'll ignore that earlier comment, on the comment, about the Guy Ritchie movie. :eek:

14. Chris R

With humble apologies to mcow1, I also won a German Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! on the blue Odeon label, from our very own Lennonfan, on eBay as well yesterday. Didn't realize mcow1 was one of us till after I had placed my opening bid.

I just hope it sounds better than the one Luke won on eBay a couple months back.
    I found the address yesterday for the address of the WTB seller. She was in Polwarth, Edinburgh. Is it damp up there in Scotland? :laugh:

15. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Hey, no problem. I'll end up with one. I bought way too much in the last week anyway (5 DCC golds, mono Help y&b original issue, and Ringo and 2 Disney Treasures). I hope it sounds better than Luke's too.

16. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

SHHH! That's my secret!! :cool:

17. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Congrats miike.
    Just got a mono 1982 on the mail two days ago.
    Unplayed.
    I'll compare it to my mint original -1.

BC

18. Chris R

I've been waiting a few days to post my thoughts on the Beatles mono Sgt. Pepper's that I recently won on eBay.

I went back and re-read the description. My thoughts. I was ripped off.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=25607&item=2519152073&rd=1

"THIS IS A ORIGINAL COPY OF THE BEATLES CLASSIC ALBUM SGT PEPPERS LONELY HEARTS CLUB RELEASED IN 1967 THE VINYL HAS LIGHT MARKS BUT PLAYS GREAT THE LABELS ARE CLEAN NO WRITING SLIGHT SPINDLE WEAR HAS SOLD IN THE U.K. ETC ACROSS LABEL AND GRAMOPHONE RIM THE MATRIX NUMBERS ARE SIDE 1 XEX 637-1 SIDE 2 XEX 638-1 THE COVER HAS NO WRTING TEARS OR STAINS SLIGHT SPINE WEAR COMES COMPLETE WITH OIGINAL CUT OUTS."

1. The LP is warped.

2. The LP sounds like someone ran a Brillo pad over it. (Its playing much better since I took it for a cleaning on the VPI machine at Loyalty Sound.) But it's still crackles throughout the whole LP.

3. Inserts. What inserts!

4. Slight spine wear! I can hardly read anything on the spine.

He was correct only in one part of the description. The rest of the LP cover, front and back is in pretty decent shape. I've seen much worse on used stereo copies at Recordland.

The seller is going to get a private E-mail from me first, before I post any comments at eBay.

Any suggestions as to what I should ask for in terms of compensation?

Thanks.

Mike

p.s. I christened my new Rega Planer 3 turntable with this LP this morning. The music sounds great if you can get around the crackling fireplace in the background.

p.p.s. This is the first time I've been burned on an eBay purchase. Two of the last four Beatles LPs that I won arrived in near mint condition. I was most impressed. (Help! on Horzü, first pressing and German Apple Revovler, from the mid 1970s.)

19. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I'd ask for my money back including shipping and send it back. I get tired of these people misrepresenting the condition of records, especially the expensive ones. BTW, I christened my new TT (Scout) Friday with a UK mono Pepper's too.

20. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Ask to send it back.

Freinds, as much as I'd love to say, grab a mono copy of Pepper, the majority of all of them I've seen have been trashed in some way. Most any Beatles related records, except for many of the ones made in the last 10-20 years in Japan, are in not so good condition.

Buying vinyl from eBay can be a crapshoot. What was really wrong here was the seller did not use honest Goldmine rating (just said wear..plays great! which means...nothing) and a lot of people who don't BUY vinyl don't sell it too well either.

Not to say Goldmine ratings make all the difference! Just be advised, you're not always going to buy vinyl from people who know what the hell they're doing. eBay is the WORST place usually. You really have to be careful, and watch for signs of loose terms in expressing "condition" of said item.

There are vendors and sellers who do nothing but sell vinyl. Those of them who use strict Goldmine ratings are going to give you a better chance at landing what you expect. Watch also for feedback!

21. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

I was thinking something similar, like "Wasn't this post meant for the Liz Phair thread?" :laugh:

22. Chris R

I have sent an E-mail to the sender asking for my money back, plus shipping. Don't know what it will cost me to send the LP back to the U.K. though. If he agrees, this guy will be getting back his LP in better condition than when he sent it due to the VPI cleaning.

23. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Good luck. :thumbsup:

24. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

I agree. Send it back. You have been ripped off by misleading descriptions and inaccurate grading of the record.

It's really not on and, above all else, it's dishonesty on the part of the seller.

I'm really sorry to hear about this miike :(

Why not try:

www.goodhumour.co.uk

www.mtmglobal.com

www.eil.com

All are reputable UK dealers and won't mislead you with inaccurate descriptions or gradings.

25. Chris R

I never received a response from this wanker on eBay who sold me the mono Sgt. Pepper's. I weep everytime I look at the beat up album he sent me. I may never get another one for a decent price. I saw a Japanese red mono the other day. Got $500.00? Not me. :rolleyes:

Urrrgghh. I just kick myself for not buying those monos back in the 1970s and 80s when they were around at a standard import price. :rolleyes:

I left "jimbobby" a negative comment at eBay summing up my situation. Too bad they only allow for 80 characters. I might have gone on a Dennis Miller rant. :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.