Wow! Just snagged 2 mint Telarc LP's for $1 each!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beagle, Nov 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member Thread Starter

-1812/Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra Telarc DG-10041 Stan Ricker/JVC
    -Frederick Fennell - Holst/Handel Bach/Telarc 5038 Stan Ricker/JVC

Also got LA Chamber Orch. Handel-Water Music (Soundstream DELOS DMS-3010)

All for $1 each, on my lunch hour, at a used record place. The 1812 looks like a real torture test for cartridge tracking! The Fennell has a LAST sticker on the cover. Some audiophool probably turned these in for CD versions 15 years ago :eek:

Anybody ever find some real gems for little $$?

2. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

I remember that Telarc 1812 when it first came out.
    They used real cannons and supposedly it would blow the speakers.
    I don't know if that's true, but they did go to extremes with that recording.

I bet you could find more mint classical lps but the used stores refuse classicals, no market.

3. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

You're a lucky dog!! :)

-Jeffrey

4. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

The 1812 will tell you real quick whether or not your TT is tracking correctly. Just look at those last few groove on 1812, you can actually see the the grooves they are so BIG!!!!!!! BTW, the Fennell i one of my favorites as well as anyhting he does! I highly recommend his recording with the Tokyo Kosei Wind Orchestra, i finterested, I can give details on where to get them.

5. Evan

Evan Senior Member

I don't know if it was the Telarc or not, but my older brother had a copy of 1812 recorded with real big canons. The arm would jump off the record every time he tried to play it. No danger of blowing the speakers :D

6. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Nice score!

I own all three of those. I believe I paid TWICE what you paid. :)
    The Fennell is a blast. One very fun LP to play, and play it loud!
    The 1812 was impossible to track on all of my other analog rigs. I haven't tried it on my latest. The Shure V15 is supposed to track anything, but I don't have the guts to try it just yet.

I don't like the Delos recording much, rather shrill sounding to me. It's interesting how the Telarc team got early digital so right and others got it so wrong, all the while using pretty much the same equipment.

Happy spinning,
    Dan C

7. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Hi Beagle,

Fun score. I remember that LP - as has been said, you can actually see those cannon shot grooves. I checked your profile and you'll be wanting your Shure V15VMR for that. I have never heard of any conventional record that will challenge a cartridge to that extent.
    The cannons sounded pretty bad on CD when it came out but then the players were pretty lousy. Most CD's of that vintage were too. But I don't know how mid-eighties Telarc CD's sound on a decent player - anybody?

8. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Hey Beagle

Nice finds! I found 2 or 3 Telarcs 5 years ago for like 2 bucks each. I remember one was Pictures at an Exhibition, but don't recall the others. They are mint.

Years ago- I also picked up some TOMITA lp's that were from Japan. They appear to be complete with the typical sleeve andf the OBI- but what made them interesting was they each had an autogragh! I don't know if its authentic or not, but I will hang on to them anyway. Oh- 2 bucks each!

Hang on to those Telarcs. As good as their CD releases sounded back then- their LP releases were just as good if not better.

Chris

9. Ronflugelguy

Also, I had heard that those cannons, were not cannons, but a recording of a nuclear blast. Although this may just be myth?

10. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

The cannons were recorded at Baldwin Wallace College in Berea Ohio (suburb of Cleveland where Telarc is based). I grew up there and actually remember when they did the recording.

11. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Could you hear them where you lived? Did you put up plywood on the windows to protect them? :D They're so LOUD !

Telarc put the cannon tracks to good use in their complete Nutcracker CD, performed by the LSO and Mackerras. One of the best. :righton:
    Dan C

12. Ronflugelguy

Yesman, thanks for the info on the cannons. Ron.

13. tony2v

tony2v Forum Resident

I still remember the first time I played the 1812, it launched the ADC ZLM out of the grooves during the cannon shots. I used a Shure V15 Type IV MR to finally track that @ 1.25 grams. There were LOTS of warnings packaged with the 1812 LP.

14. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

My dad taught at the college and he heard them go off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.