Wow, thanks Chad! The Sutherland battery-powered Phono Preamp is here!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

You betcha. It'll appear on the Perfect Sound Forever website on the first of March. The January article is my year-end roundup. I believe I gave this place a plug or two in that installment!

2. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I hate to contradict you GabeG, but alkaline batteries can and do leak. I know this from recent bitter experience: the four AA Energizer batteries that powered my Nikon Speedlight flash unit leaked all over the place ruining the unit :( . It was partly my fault for leaving the batteries in the unit when it wasn't in use, but I had done that before with no problems, so I didn't think about it. Needless to say, I'm very careful to remove the batteries from electronics when they aren't going to be in use for a few weeks.

Steve, congrats on getting a nice Phono Preamp.

3. NOSValves

NOSValves New Member

Seems to me in this day and age the next step would be to incorporate a rechargeable power supply. It would seem that you could use some currently available setup from Camera's , phones ect. without having to design something entirely new.

Very cool phono stage for sure.

Craig

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Acoustic Sounds has a deal going right now. You can trade your old PH back in and get like full credit towards a Ph.D. On the Acoustic Sounds website, link on my homepage.

That sounds like a reasonable offer...

I'm still loving this phono stage. I'm spoiled by the dead quiet of the unit. It makes the dynamics flow effortlessly. It's neat.

5. vinyl anachronist

Not to shamelessly self-promote, but since you asked...

My phono preamp article is available on the Perfect Sound Forever website. Check it out at:

http://www.furious.com/perfect/index.html

6. Danny Kaey

Danny Kaey New Member

7. vinyl anachronist

Well, actually, I wish I'd been able to actually review it. When I upgrade my phono amp at the end of the year, it's at the top of my list for must-auditions, along with Grover's! Right now, the one to beat is the Tom Evans Microgroove +.

8. Danny Kaey

Danny Kaey New Member

my personal favorite... E.A.R. 324...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.