Wow! That bad disc really makes my DCC Gold sound far out!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by voicebug, Jul 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member Thread Starter

OK. Apologies if this has been done before, but have any of you ever purchased, or held on to an inferior sounding CD for the sole purpose of having the thrill of doing the 'ol A-B comparison?

I find it fun to do these A-B comparisons for people who are casual music listeners, but really have no idea about inferior versions, remastered titles, etc.

I remember the fun of playing for my Dad about 20 seconds of 'Homeward Bound' from the Simon & Garfunkel 'Collected Works' set.
    When I played that version I asked, 'How does that sound?'
    He said, 'Sounds good.'

Then I switched discs and played 'Homeward Bound' from the remastered
    'Old Friends' collection. All of a sudden, it sounded like Paul Simon was standing in the room playing the opening acoustic riff.
    Needless to say my Dad was quite amazed. That was fun. :)

2. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Hmmm, I have about a dozen different lp's and cd's of the Yardbird's Roger the Engineer that I wish Steve would break down and license for S&P - hell, every label under the sun seems to have had a shot at it!!!

3. Dawson

Dawson New Member

No, but yes...

I will hang on to discs to compare them to the original vinyl, at least as close as I can get to original. Now I'm a fan of both and have tons of each but some vinyl just beats the best remaster. Bert Kaempfert's "That Happy Feeling" sounds great on Taragon's release but when I hit a Decca stereo original pressing, look out! In no way does the remastering job disappoint me, just that the vinyl has a smoother sound. Chet Atkins "In Hollywood" disc has always been a special problem for me because that release used the second acoustic guitar version instead of the correct electric guitar version. Same backing track, just that Chet redid his parts. Everyone that hears the disc agrees the mastering job was great. Then I put on the original Living Stereo release and then they understand and remember it the right way.

Best!

4. ED in NY

ED in NY New Member

Indy Mike,

I'm curious as to what your favorite CD version is ? Mine would have to be the UK import on Diablo with the stereo and mono versions. I thought they did a pretty good job on that version. What do you think ?

Thanks !

-Ed

5. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Hey, I don't have that one!!!! :D Who gets credit for mastering it? It's nice having both mixes because there are differences between the two. I like the Edsel mono press on vinyl - it's a little less sizzzzzly on top than most of the other versions I have. One of our posting pals mentioned that they really like the Repertoire remaster, so I guess I'll keep my eyes peeled when we visit Nashville this coming weekend...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.