Wowed by a tube, epiphany?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Erik A. flickinger, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erik A. flickinger

Erik A. flickinger New Member Thread Starter

so a friend asked me to come over and listen to his system, I brought my Rogers ls3 5/as, he had the Sonus Faber Concertos., sitting on a desk, driven by a Grant Dac-11, Classe ss amp. I was flabbergasted to say the least. The whole wall fell away, I never heard anything quite like that. Until we switched in mine. Anyway is it me, or does a tube output make that big a difference? Made me fall in love with my little Rogers all over again...

2. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

I think a tube output makes a big difference. Whether or not one precedes it or not is another matter. I do however prefer it.
    What's that Rogers's you have? I have an old Rogers's reel to reel 2 track preamp I use as a preamp/headphone amp. It has L/R gain controls, and the tubes are 6bm8, 12ax7, 12au7, 6ca4. Can't remberr the model. The sound is fantastic, very alive, and in your ear. Works especially nice with 'phones.

Erik A. flickinger likes this.
  3. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I'm not in it to debate, but I know what I'll buy.

4. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Check out my recent thread on the Raven Audio Nighthawk on LS3/5a's. That combination - it's a revelation. LS3/5a's have always gone nuts for a good tube amp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.