Wrong aspect ratios for TV shows in home media - how much does it bother you?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 93curr, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Bear in mind that you're losing 40% of the picture.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Waltons in Hi_Def made into fake Wide Screen...Geez.

3. Michael

I have Terminator 3 in WS & Full Screen on DVD...I am totally into WS, but I was amazed how much more info was available on the FF version...the partial breast shots in the beginning were completely blocked in the WS version. I can't remember if there was more on the sides as well...IIRC, this was filmed in Super 35. Is that what was released on the DVD the total 35MM frame? Curious to have the Video King's facts here...: )

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, Cameron was a big fan of Super 35mm back in the film days. But the reality is that the VFX were often finished only to 2.39, so those wind up having to be blown up for 1.78 (which Cameron forgot in his argument).

5. Michael

thanks...

6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

There are the CBS colorized specials of older TV episodes that run during the holiday shopping season and they do get decent ratings.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Those would be the exception: I Love Lucy, Peanuts, and I think some of the Rankin-Bass shows (Rudolph the Red-Nosed Raindeer, etc.), but they're rare. I think any old show syndicated and stripped every day from Monday-Friday is going to look pretty old and crappy in 4x3 for contemporary 2017 audiences.

I don't have a problem at all with a classic show like Twilight Zone or I Love Lucy in the original aspect ratio, but I'd rather watch those in higher-res, with no commercials, and no added on-screen graphics, which means home video or streaming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.