X-files reboot?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mirrorblade.1, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I watched the first two tonight. There is definitely a problem with these shows. You're exactly right, they feel "rushed" and "unfocused" I don't know if it's the direction or scripting, but the pacing is bad. The first episode was all over the place, no sense of continuity. In the old series, it took about 50 episodes to unveil the kind of conspiracy that they tried to spit out in 30 minutes in one episode. That was the beauty of the old series, it took it's time. I realize this is only a few shows long, but they really rushed through too much too fast. It just felt disjointed and awkward. The second show was slightly better, but I wasn't sure if it was a continuation of the "conspiracy" story or a stand alone about a mad doctor. The only tie in to the conspiracy was a brief appearance by some DOD guys and one line about "alien DNA." Pretty weak. The crux of the story was never apparent and the conclusion comes flying out of the so-what? blue. I think it's the writing that's bad. Given that awful pilot Chris Carter tried to launch for Amazon, I shouldn't be surprised. I haven't watched the 3rd one yet, but my old x-files buddy says it was the best so far. That all said, it's fun to see them again. I'll keep watching just because I liked the old show so much, but this is a pretty pale imitation at this point.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    The Hermit likes this.
  2. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I liked the last episode quite a bit.

3. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

You just know the next episode is going to be horrific. Always follow the silly one with the scary one.

Maybe they'll reprise one of the classic monsters like Eugene Toombs.

4. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

You'd think so, but wasn't he killed in his second appearance? They did give him a brief cameo in the opening of this mini-series. Plus the actor has had some icky legal troubles recently (I think it was statutory rape?).

5. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

In one of the interviews prior to the relaunch, Chris Carter said that only the first and last episodes would focus on the arc. The rest would be standalone episodes similar in execution to popular episodes of the past "monster/humor/etc."

I like this strategy for the abbreviated season. For a longer 12+ episode season they would have more time to focus on the arc between standalone episodes.

6. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

7. Ok I sslept on it. I'm a huge X Files fan and the bottom line is, that to me, the pacing and acting and then directing has been WAY off. Bad timing. Surprises me actually. Set ups and continuity seem off. Angles don't always match up. Its a but like a B team took over an great series. Like when you first start working out after a long time off... hope they get it together.

8. Siggy

Siggy New Member

Well 3 shows in and I like the concept. But this week it was kinda stupid, I thought. Though I did like the general campiness of it.

9. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

I think William B. Davis is supposed to be in three of the episodes, so one of them is probably a stand-alone/mythology hybrid.

10. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

But a comedy episode like that one shouldn't be expected to have the pace or acting style of a regular X-Files episode.

11. Maybe, but they used to in the past. I really liked the concept of this episode but something seemed off to me. In the Facebook world I am reading that lots of folks liked it so maybe I'm in the minority. It just looked dumbed down a bit. As @Vidiot correctly wrote, it's lit way too brite. To be almost like those horrible CBS "dramas." I loved the Vancouver look of dark great skies. Even the night scenes were too bright IMHO

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I thought the 3rd one had better timing. I was loving it until the big reveal which I thought was just too silly. At least humor in the script brought Duchovn back to life. He was actually more like the old Mulder in this one. And Gillian Anderson looked like she was having some fun, too. I think it was the best episode yet as far and direction and pacing. I didn't notice the bright lighting until you mentioned it. Maybe that was over compensation for the murky (and dated look) of some of the old episodes now. Lots of great jokes in this episode. I love it when the X-files makes me laugh.

Question, who was the old guy Mulder spoke to ala "Deepthroat" in the first episode. Didn't recognize him.

13. In ep 1 he "talked" to Mr. X, Steven Williams and Deep Throat, Jerry Hardin. In this week's episode I thought it was cool to have a Kim Manners Headstone in the cemetery.

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That's who it was. I didn't recognize him.

15. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I don't think Williams or Hardin were in the first episode. The old guy Mulder talked to, the guy with the hat and beard, was played by Rance Howard.

Did I miss Williams and Hardin appearing in the first episode somehow?

16. there was some sort of flashback vision not new scenes shot w them

17. Squealy

The old man in episode 1 (of the new series, not the original) was the same person as the young doctor with glasses who was on the scene when the alien ship crashed, and who took the body away after it was shot. He wasn't a character from the old series.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  18. Squealy

I always thought Duchovny's best moments on the show were when something funny or ironic happened -- in the regular episodes, not just in the explictly silly ones -- because deadpan acting is better for comedy than drama, where it can just seem boring.

Ghostworld likes this.
  19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yes! His drollness worked wonderfully for the funny bits in the X-Files. He could just deadpan the word "Par-tey" and crack me up.

20. Squealy

Yeah. When you say "part-ay" in a monotone it's funny. When you deliver a six paragraph speech about a worldwide conspiracy in a monotone it doesn't work so well.

21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Oh. Yes, that makes sense.

22. Somewhat agree and that is exactly why he was almost a better actor in Californacation. Great fun show that maybe imitated his real life a bit to closely.

23. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think Darin Morgan feels he's outsider and puts himself and his feelings
    into standalone characters.. I hope gets better yes' it's too bright..
    They should filmed on film .. it's rushed mostly yes..
    It should been one story arc.. with the limited episodes
    It's not working right..

Mazzy likes this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I also noticed that Gillian Anderson's voice wasn't as gravelly as it was in the first couple of episodes. I dunno if she had a cold or was smoking or what, but she sounded fine in show #3.

wayneklein likes this.
  25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I could have lived without any mythology and just six individual freak of the week shows. Those were always my favorite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.