X-files reboot?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mirrorblade.1, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My wife remarked on this noting that she hadn't sounded that way in "Hannibal" or the BBC two TV shows she did as a detective (the name escapes me at the moment). Duchovny also sounded pretty hoarse at times.

Having just watched the first six seasons of "The X-Files" in preparation for the new series, it was a shock to contrast how Duchovny looked. He looked OLD. I realize a lot of time has passed but it was still a shock to compare him to his younger, more vital self.

Still, he looks pretty natural for his age especially compared to Anderson who seems to have had too much sculpting done to her face.

Still, I have enjoyed the almost meta-quality of the series even in the lesser episodes and I do like the fact that they don't portray the characters the same way that they did even 14 years ago.

I do think that this was rushed a bit--I get the feeling that they had deadline for the airing and didn't really get a chance to go through the process of rehearsal and rewriting that made the series as strong as it was. I'm also reminded that the best episodes often came from within the series regular writers and that "guest" writers like William Gibson and Stephen King wrote the worst episodes of the series (the regulars also did their fair share BUT to be fair to them they also wrote a bunch of terrific ones as well).

Vidiot likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I don't think that's true -- she still has some natural wrinkles and lines, which you would expect for a 47-year-old woman. But I think she's in good shape. I also think she's been carefully lit and had a ton of makeup, and I'd be surprise if she didn't have some Botox here and there (which is pretty standard these days), but as it was I was a little taken aback that they didn't do more digital softening on her face. I definitely would've done that (or suggested it) if I had worked on the show -- not a glamorous look, just a little more flattering.

GentleSenator likes this.
  3. Part of it was lighting and no doubt Botox (and her haircut or wig) but her face shows some obvious signs facial sculpting in the thinning out of her face, etc.

I don't think it was necessarily a bad choice for her and, otherwise, she looks terrific for her age.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I also think she was wearing a wig, but I didn't detect any obvious signs of plastic surgery. @Scott Wheeler is the expert on makeup, and I would trust his opinion in this area. But I would agree that she looked OK in the show... but I'd say she could've looked a little better.

You wanna see plastic surgery, go watch Mariska Hargitay on Law & Order: SVU. Yikes... :eek:

5. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

>>>

"When EW visited the set of The X-Files on June 15, the sixth day of shooting, Anderson said in a follow-up conversation that adjustments are being made. (“It’s getting redder.”) But why a wig? Anderson explains that a few days before shooting, she went to dye her hair red (“I was really looking forward to it”) only to be warned that she was risking a catastrophe if she did. Which is to say: Baldness. Her television work of the past year – NBC’s Crisis and Hannibal; Britain’s The Fall – required different colors and looks, and her hair took a beating as a result of all that wear and tear. “My hair started falling out last year,” she says. “We were in the middle of doing The Fall and they actually had to stop using tongs and hot rollers because it was literally coming out in the hair dresser’s hand.”

Anderson was told that her hair would probably survive a summer of red dye, but going back to blonde – which she would have to do for the third season of The Fall, shooting this fall – would most likely cause her hair to fall out. “The guy I use to do my hair was like, ‘You must be out of your mind [to dye it]. You have no idea what the end result will be,” she recalls. “So yeah, unfortunately, it is a wig.” And it’s a good wig, she insists. Made by fancy wig makers in London. But it hurts. “Oh my God, it’s like wearing a vice on your head,” says Anderson. “I mean, every day, I have a whopping headache. And so I’m paying for that decision. I want all the fans to know that I’m suffering for the red!” Or at least, something very close to it."

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/26/x-files-gillian-anderson-why-im-wearing-wig-play-scully

Ghostworld and Vidiot like this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yep. There's something about a wig: when the actor turns their heads, the hair doesn't move naturally. It kinda moves like it's a single "thing" attached to their head, and not 10,000 actually strands going into their scalp. It doesn't bother me in the show, but I have noticed it in a couple of shots.

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I didn't realize she was wearing a wig. Well, that explains a lot and certainly adds to a slightly "worked on" look.

8. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

As a director I wouldn't have demanded red hair/a wig. Do they really think fans would have been disappointed?
    A "whopping headache" every day...that has to affect your performance.

...her natural hair:

9. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Yes. Dragged on too long. Overall I think the episode was okay but not as funny as it thought it was. Did like the twist though.

10. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

The ultraslimcut and the B I G S H O U L D E R P A D S both look terrible. Have today's wardrobe people never watched Goldfinger or The Thomas Crown Affair or North By Northwest?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  11. AztecChimera

Am I just used to watching shows on HBO & blu-ray, or are there just a lot a lot a lot of commercials?

12. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

As I think that article said, when the first pictures of her on the set came out, there was an outcry because her hair wasn't red enough.

13. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I don't think Mulder's new suits are ultra-slim. They're a fitted, modern look. But to me, ultra-slim is what European/Italian dudes wear: skin-tight jackets and high-water pants.

14. So are the ratings still high?

15. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Yes. Google can tell you more.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I cannot watch live television anymore -- I'm physically and mentally incapable of doing it without a DVR. Bad commercials kill me. (But I admit to being a big fan of good commercials, as rare as they are.)

Getting paid $200K an episode could alleviate a lot of pain, at least for me. You could set my foot on fire for $20K a day.

frankfan1, wayneklein and BGLeduc like this.
  17. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Didn't realize she was wearing a wig, looked more like botox created a huge forehead. Looks much more natural in that interview link.

Liked the first two episodes, hated the third. HATED it. I assumed the 6 episodes would be one story arc, kind of like that each is a standalone. But that swamp thing was terrible.

Lonson and amoergosum like this.
  18. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

For those like me who would rather have their teeth drilled than listen to Coldplay The X-Files twitter and facebook sites are having a 30 minute thingy during half time of the Super Bowl. I haven't been able to find out what exactly but 30 minutes of Scully has to be better than Coldplay, right?

BGLeduc and Lonson like this.
  19. She's admitted to having to wear wigs due to the damage to her hair with all the dying of her hair for roles.

20. AztecChimera

Friends don't let friends wear low-rise pants.

[​IMG]

21. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Try HULU for on demand viewing. $11.99 a month gets you all network TV except CBS with no commercials, episodes are available the day after they air. It was so worth the extra $4 a month for the new option. Plus there's tons of other content available including Criterion Collection films and lately recently released films, something HULU used to lack.

22. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I finally got around to watching "The monster of the week" episode. I liked it. A lot. But it would have been better as part of a 13 episode season. Either way, I found it enjoyable and I keep thinking how much I miss Fringe. Walter Bishop would have loved to see a creature like this. He would be the only one who saw the creature so no one would believe him when he tried to explain it. Then he would somehow collect a sample from it, test it and prove its existence but still the only one of the group of main characters who actually saw it.

jriems and wayne66 like this.
  23. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I almost ALWAYS hate "crossover" stuff; it's almost always super gimmicky.

But, thinking about the new X-Files stuff and how "Fringe" was also on Fox and ended just a few years ago, I was actually thinking it *could* (not necessarily *would*) be pretty cool to see a Fringe/X-Files crossover miniseries or something.

"Fringe" I would say did a better job sometimes of balancing humor with drama. They could do both within a single episode, and the funny stuff was truly funny and the dramatic stuff could be epic.

wayne66 likes this.
  24. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Is Fringe one of those shows that got better with time? I only watched the pilot, and it didn't do much for me.

25. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Yes. Gained some steam in seasons 3 and 4 but it is one of those you have to see the whole series to fully understand what is going on.

Mazzy and Encuentro like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.