X-files reboot?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mirrorblade.1, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

2. Also loved her in the few episodes she did on the UK series Mistresses.

xdawg likes this.
  3. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Fringe is my favorite TV series of all time. It is like what if the writers of the X-Files had a clue about what they were doing with the mythology. Everything wraps up nicely, the acting is great and Walter Bishop probably inches out Spock as my all time favorite character in television, film, the stage and literature.

xdawg, Tree of Life, enro99 and 2 others like this.
  4. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I'll probably give it another shot. I didn't think much of the pilot and gave up on it.

5. MorrisonsLament

MorrisonsLament Active Member

Fringe was good for the 1st few seasons until they started that parallel reality BS, I lost interest at that point and gave up.

Daryl M likes this.
  6. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

To be fair to The X-Files, it was one of the first series of its kind to attempt to have an overarching mythology. Shows like Lost (messy as it was at times) and Fringe benefitted by learning from the mistakes of The X-Files.

MikeInFla likes this.
  7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

And that is when I really started to love it!

Tree of Life and MikeInFla like this.
  8. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I'd say "Fringe" was pretty close to perfect as a series in my mind, as far as consistency over its run, and I'm one to easily nitpick stuff I even like quite a bit.

The only things I can think of where the show momentarily entered "jump the shark" territory were the Fox-mandated musical episode (actors seemed to be having more fun making it than I did watching that one), and Olivia's awful Leonard Nimoy non-impression-impression.

Normally, I'd say parallel universe stuff often devolves into b-grade sci-fi. But they came up with a really compelling reason to do it on this show (and relatively plausible within the sci-fi narrative of the show), and it was done pretty well with the "MirrorSpock-ish" alternate universe counterpart novelty bits kept to a relative minimum.

Tree of Life and MikeInFla like this.
  9. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Trashman is one mean dude.

jriems likes this.
  10. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

"My life for you!" - Trashman

Oh, wait - wrong Trashman...

Lewisboogie likes this.
  11. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Not very impressed with tonight's episode. Uneven combination between procedural and character development. Felt like SVU or something. Use of cheerful song during murder scene felt old ("Downtown").

tonyc and amoergosum like this.
  12. I actually think that enhanced the series.

13. I liked the episode over all. The pacing, editing and compositions were an improvement over the previous episodes. "The X-Files" always did combination of character development with procedural and this didn't feel any less balanced than original episodes in that regard.

This episode was originally the second episode and hence the close shot of both agents showing their credentials.

The "10" season really is the "1st" season of a new series and the show just needs to find its tone and discover some balance just as it did the first season of the original.

This is kind of new territory for a show like this where the main characters are STILL the main characters ("Dallas" aside where they introduced a whole series of other characters whereas this continue to focus on our heroes) for this type of series.

Well the difference was, really, that "The X-Files" pioneered the whole "mythology" story arc type of thing. "Fringe" benefited from that (and J.J. Abrams learned from "Lost" even if he wasn't around for most of the series) learning from other series that tried and sometimes fumbled at developing new story telling techniques.

I can think of few shows that tried and succeeded at a variety of different styles and tones. I can think of few shows that tackled them head on like that series did and that's part of what made it so iconic (much like "Star Trek").

"Fringe" was fun, compact and derivative much more so than "The X-Files" (although that series did benefit from "Twin Peaks" and even "Kolchak: The Night Stalker" as well as the two movies).

For all of its flaws, "The X-Files" managed to break the mold when it came to extended storytelling over nearly a decade. I can point to very few shows of this type that has been able to last as long (although it is becoming a bit more common) AND still involve the majority of their audience.

Should "The X-Files" have resolved Mulder's sister's disappearance and the conspiracy that was the heart of the mythology shows earlier? Yep but hindsight is 20/20.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  14. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

All this talk about Fringe makes me miss it. I would love to see it brought back. Also they should bring back the 60s sci-fi classic "The Invaders" starring Roy Thinnes. I could see Fox devoting one night to showing all three of these great shows . I could get my alien conspiracy fix easily with that combination. The X-Files, Fringe and The Invaders in 2017. That would be awesome.

jriems and MikeInFla like this.
  15. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

In my opinion LOST "owns" this song because of the following scene >>>

Lewisboogie, Encuentro and vince like this.
  16. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Thought it was a great episode. Such great chemistry between the two, well shot and Trashman was seriously spooky. Proves to me that the show should return yearly.

marblesmike likes this.
  17. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I fell asleep.... and woke up to Moulder holding Scully while she was crying.

18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

whatever happened to the girl from "fringe"....kind off dropped off the face of the earth.

19. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I can't argue that "X-Files" wasn't much more original than "Fringe." But I'm in the midst of re-watching the entire "X-Files" series for the second (and in some cases third) time via the new BD sets, and I also can't avoid the plain fact that while "The X-Files" was and is an awesome show, it's very uneven in numerous ways, even in the first five or so seasons that many fans seem to like the most. There's something just weird and stilted about the character development and narrative. Some of this stuff is what we love about the Mulder and Scully characters. They are in a subtle way very idiosyncratic and don’t deal with or display emotions in what some would call the typical fashion. But those same quirks sometimes leave some logistical or common sense holes in the story.

The new “season” is very much the same, which is why I’m actually kind of cutting it more slack than I normally would. The weird arbitrary dropping and picking up of HUGE dramatic events on the show is one example. I go back again to Scully’s abduction and reappearance. Yes, I know some of the logistical reasons (pregnancy) that that arc was written.

But even assuming they were trying to keep a mystery and build suspense, it just makes no sense that Mulder and Scully would literally just about *ignore* what happened to her for numerous episodes after she returns. They didn’t even really build much into the plot to at least make their ignoring the incident a plot point itself.

The new season is the same. Again, I go back to the O’Malley guy and the abduction lady from the pilot. Even the mixing up of episode order doesn’t explain Mulder and Scully not once even talking about the HUGE events of the pilot. Apparently, Episode 4 was going to be Episode 2. So if we watch #4 after the pilot, it still makes no sense.

I’ve come to accept and even find some charm in the very “X-Filesey” nature of the show, where mythology and Earth-shattering events are picked up and dropped with no reasoning. Very X-Files. Very Chris Carter. I love it. But also flawed in a way that a show like “Fringe”, however “less original” that show was (or, to use a less comparable example, something like “Breaking Bad”), never was.

marblesmike likes this.
  20. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Mostly boring, maybe 70%

21. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

You guys are harsh. To me (and my other good friend who is a big X-files fan) the new series feels very similar to the old ones and we are enjoying it as such. The biggest detractor to us is that it's only 6 episodes and that a mytharc-centric miniseries might have been a better use of the airtime.

Big Pasi likes this.
  22. Lonson

I'm with you MM. . . that's my big beef, that they didn't just do a 6 episode mythic arc, if they are only going to do 6 episodes.

2 more to go!

23. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Finally saw the first episode and enjoyed it. Yes, the setting up and dropping of the main story arc seems awkward, but apart from that, it was pretty good. Re-watching series one, I think two or three really good episodes pit of six seems really good odds.I did find it a little odd how narrow Scully's face seems while Mulder's has filled out. As for the whole Mulder mumbling/slurring thing... he's always done that.

24. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

Uhh, that's a different song. "Make Your Own Kind of Music" by Mama Cass, not Petula Clark's "Downtown."

Anyway, I have that exact turntable, so I enjoy the scene very much.

amoergosum likes this.
  25. Lonson

LOST did use the song, however not in this excerpt. Was used with Elizabeth Mitchell in the scene iirc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.