X-files reboot?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mirrorblade.1, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

ditto. it was so bizarre that it was at the very end of the season/series, however.

2. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Just saw episode 4 and really enjoyed it!

Encuentro likes this.
  3. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I thought the new episodes were ok overall...wasn't expecting groundbreaking stuff but merely a nice reunion with old friends, and that's what happened. What I didn't really like is the excessive brightness...the CSI : Miami look is just sooo wrong for X-Files.

One of the things that pi$$ed me off when the show was originally broadcast by Italian TV, was that due to the delay compared to the US and the fact that they (Italian TV) used to show 2 or more episodes a week, nearly one year could pass between a season and the next. So, this time, I watched all the new episodes over these last days (how smart I am, no waiting for some months after a cliffhanger, this time :D) but....
    ....as the finale was progressing, I thought: how can they wrap it up within the next 10 minutes? And then that :cussing::cussing::cussing: ending?! WTF.
    So was that the end? No 11th season planned, and they make it end like that? I was literally throwing stuff at the TV, cussing!

The Hermit likes this.
  4. Most people expect another season coming, though it may be another year before it airs.

wayneklein and Scope J like this.
  5. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Just finished up the series tonight. Overall a big disappointment. For me it seemed too simplistic, and slapdash an effort, plus aside from the UFO crash the whole thing looked cheaply done. It would be just like Fox Studios to go forward and then not give them enough money for top production value. I say this from personal experience, having done some work on the show during season 6, it's 2nd year back in L.A.

The final scene just irritated me, especially with not knowing if the show will ever return to give us the payoff. But after this middling effort, perhaps it's best that it not return again.

Hey David: Enough a Fox Mulder, bring back Hank Moody!

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I think part of the problem was that I saw Hank Moody just about as often as I saw Fox Muldar in this reboot!

7. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Finally got through all the nitpicking posts here.
    I enjoyed the series, though had issues with some of it.
    Still more enjoyable than season 9.
    On season 9, with no Mulder, the had no show.
    Can't watch season 9 again.
    Six episodes seemed too rushed.
    The idea of 8 episodes would've worked better.
    Should've devoted the whole thing to the mythology, would've flowed better.
    Perhaps this 6 episode arc was the set-up for a final movie.

Darryl

8. I totally agree. This was a forgettable series. But more Californacation !!!!! Yes !

DigMyGroove likes this.
  9. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

I think The X Files was brilliant, amazing for it's day, and because I never caught tha Beginning or tha end(1st1) and tbh having missed a few Episodes ere and there.. Well I have tha Luxury of being able to Buy complete series on Dvd and probably quite cheaply.. Be blast to revisit..been a while.. Both Movies we're OK,but needed a little more in places..just my opinion..didn't seem to shine as brightly as some of tha Episodes in tha series.. and there was so many good ones..

atb

10. DigMyGroove

The series has been restored from the original 35mm negs and is available for streaming on Hulu. These versions will be superior to the DVDs in image quality.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  11. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

^^^ Thanks for that, I will check it out

12. Netflix too

wayneklein and CrazyCatz like this.
  13. Sadly though they were transferred and restored in 2K locking the series in that lesser resolution. I'm sure cost was part of the decision but the main one--I think-- was because the stock shots and visual effects they couldn't rescan from film elements (or chose not to recreate from scratch) were at lower resolution and, at 4K, it would have looked even worse when it was up rezzed.

Blu-Ray was an after thought for this--it was really does for HD streaming for Netflix originally.

I will still buy the new season if nothing else for the two episodes that were really good and because, otherwise, there is a hole in my box to fill.

14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

The Blu-rays look and sound great.

15. DigMyGroove

About a year ago my Union the art Directors Guild Local 800 IATSE held an event celebrating the design of The X-Files at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood. Besides Cory Kaplan who served as the show's Production Designer during the U.S. filmed seasons were Chris Carter and Vince Gilligan and a few others who I can't recall right now. At the forum they all lamented that at that time the series was only available in the lower resolution DVD format, and that since the entire show was shot in 35mm film they knew that beautiful transfers could be done and didn't understand why it hadn't. When a short time later the remastering was made public I was quite shocked that Fox TV had obviously neglected to inform the series' creators of the new edition.

16. I'm not. It does explain how simple things such as the wrong font was used for the titles not a game changer but it was annoying and, if they had asked those involved with the show, they could have gotten an answer pretty easy or they could simply have done a bit more research in the Fox archives.

Given that this is the way the show will look in HD and when it gets transferred to 4K (although it will be a 2K uprezzed) FOREVER, well, it seems to me a bit more care might have been taken particularly since the house that did the work (and some of their work is stellar) that screwed up the second season of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" (admittedly they were pressed for time but they could have taken a bit more care with that release), I would think they would learn a bit from their mistakes.

17. I think the 9th season is underrated. I think that it had found its groove again after the disaster of the 7th and beginning of the recover with the 8th). The super soldier arc wasn't as good as it could have been.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  18. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

I really had expected this 6 episode thing to mostly follow that single story-arc from the first episode, and after watching the first was going to stop watching. But...I think they did the right thing by throwing in a few off the wall and even somewhat comedic episodes, much like the original series. If they're smart, they'll keep it to these mini-series things, 6-10 episodes like they do on AMC etc, and they can carry on for a few years having good serious fun without it getting too stale.

19. 10 would be ideal--it would allow for a bit of expansion on a story arc.

20. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

yes, not to get into a different "formula" but an episode that follows the grand alien conspiracy, one that is serious but nothing to do with it, one that's off the wall...x 3...conspiracy cliffhanger...there's your season!

21. Yup. It would also allow for a bit of diversity for the episodes--allowing for a "stretch" between serious episodes, monster of the "week" styled episodes, etc.

22. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

It was bad experiement . David& Gillian had now idea what direction to go
    for there long loved characters .
    If this comes back pull it out chris and glens hands..
    Let somebody else take over...

23. I wouldn't disagree. I think that Chris will have to be involved in some way shape or form like Roddenberry was for Star Trek:The Next Generation.

24. Andy Lee

Andy Lee Active Member

I watched episode 5 and it was nothing if not ambitious. I suspect the subtlety lost a few people, but... the execution of the drugged out scenes was pretty awful and there seemed to be a lot crammed into the episode. I found the new detectives annoying, especially the male, who seems to have got the part based on the fact he looks like the standard male lead of a a Hollywood TV series.

smilin ed likes this.
  25. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Nitpick time: I find it weird that 20+ years later (and a son together) they still call each other by their surnames

GentleSenator likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.